Simpsons

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Simpsons

Post by Guest » Dec 28th 2000, 8:21 pm

I was wondering whether programmes such as the 'Simpsons' ever included any jokes or references towards MSCL as they do with other programmes. To me even though the Simpsons and MSCL are both completley different types of programme they both sit in a class together. They are without doubt both made in such a way that they both appeal to a superical level and in a much deeper context when you look below the surface of the programmes. To me these programmes have set the standard and unfortunatley no other TV programmes have come close. Both these programmes have in common key features, they always have a strong moral code and always encourage viewers to 'do the right thing' with subtlety but still retaing a very powerful emotinal punch. They both have great writing which is always intelligent in that there are no lost sentances - everything goes somewhere. MSCL had also a very fine collection of actors who portayed their characters in such a meaningful way that the viewer was compelled to feel for them when things didn't go their way or rejoice when things did.In the UK we make great comedy but we fail to make great drama. We here I feel could never make a programme o the quality of MSCL because our drama always fail to make the viewer to feel affection for the characters. We have only 'Gritty' drama's which basically means we feel no attachment to the characters and care not whether they win or lose the complete opposite of MSCL

addy
Nicky Driscoll

Re: Simpsons

Post by addy » Dec 29th 2000, 5:24 am

I beleive there has be one or two mentions, but only minor like if you hadn't seen MSCL you won't have got the joke.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Dec 31st 2000, 4:48 pm

Like what?

addy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by addy » Jan 1st 2001, 1:59 pm

The episode where Lisa falls for Ralph.

Post by Guest » Jan 2nd 2001, 4:16 pm

elaborate

addy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by addy » Jan 3rd 2001, 7:41 am

Ralph is like Jordon
Lisa is Angela
Ralph write Lisa valentines card
Which lisa thinks is from someone else (I forget who.
Last scene lisa relises who sent here the card, whilst heading off in a vechile(School Bus?)
Very like a certain called show.

addy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by addy » Jan 3rd 2001, 8:12 am

OK i think i may have got the characters mixed up.
So to make it up .

A couple more episodes, with synopsis, that are similer to MSCL episodes
taken from http://www.thesimpsons.com

"Lisa's Date With Density"
Original Airdate: 12/15/96

Lisa develops a crush on bully Nelson Muntz.
Even though she seems to know that Nelson can never really change his naughty ways, Lisa thinks she can help him be a better person.
She tries her best, but Nelson's thug friends Jimbo, Dolph, and Kearney lead him astray yet again.
Nelson gets busted for throwing cole slaw at Principal Skinner's house, but the bully tells Lisa he was framed.
Lisa believes him at first, but stops liking him when she realizes he lied to her.
--- A little similar to MSCL

"Lisa's Substitute"
Original Airdate: 4/25/91

When Lisa's teacher Miss Hoover gets Lyme Disease, Mr. Bergstrom takes over the class
Lisa finds Mr. Bergstrom's teaching methods incredibly inspiring and discovers an entirely new love for learning.
When Miss Hoover returns to her class, Lisa is devastated to lose her most positive grown-up role model.
Eventually, she realizes that while Mr. Bergstrom was one of a kind, she can find role models in other people, including her own father.

A bit like the episode "The Subsistute"

Post by Guest » Jan 3rd 2001, 3:07 pm

I actually went to a simpson site that catalouged references to other shows (I know I have too much time on my hands) and MSCL never showed Up so even though I agree the situations are similar I think they are coincidental rather than intentional

Post by Guest » Jan 11th 2001, 3:21 am

In the episode of the Simpson you are referring to, where Lisa's class has
a substitute, Lisa becomes infatuated with him, just like Angela did with Mr. Racine
or whatever his name was. At the end Lisa goes to his house, just like Angela
did. Then, the substitute leaves for good, just like Mr. Racine did. There are
some similarities. But does anyone know which one was made first?

Post by Guest » Jan 11th 2001, 4:24 am

The Simpsons' substitute episode was made much earlier than MSCL's. That one was made during one of the first few seasons. By the way, the teacher was voiced by Dudtin Hoffman using a fake name.

Anyways, I remember seeing the "Lisa's Crush on nelson" episode for the first time and thinking it had a particularly strong MSCL feel, especially the scenes between Lisa and Millhouse. Even more particularly, the ending. Lisa, dressed up and carrying pocket book and looking much older (like Angela) walked by geeky neighbor and secret admirer Milhouse's front yard where he was out walking his dog. The whole thing seemed like every Angela/Brian scene that ever ended an episode. That, or I'm crazy.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jan 14th 2002, 6:52 pm

Either way, it's not really THAT original - when it comes to substitute teachers (or supply teachers as we in the Uk call them) - you ever LOVE them or hate them!!! - so both stories are probably completely separate (unlike MSCL and the film 'It's a Wonderful Life'.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"