Would Rayanne & Angela's friendship ever been the same?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Would Rayanne & Angela's friendship ever been the same?

Post by inhirnamy137 » Nov 22nd 2002, 5:46 pm

After Rayanne had sex with Jordan do you really think, she and Angela would have been close friends again? I think their relationship would've never been the same. I mean, Angela probably would eventually talk to her, but she would always have to live with the knowledge that Rayanne did Jordan.Rayanne knooows Jordan in a way that Angela doesn't( you know what I mean :P ). What do you think would of happened to their friendship? Do you think Jordan and Rayanne would have hooked up again?
Inhirnamy137

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 24th 2002, 11:40 pm

No. I don't think that Rayanne could ever fully regain Angela's friendship again. Just because of the way that the two girls are in personality and that Rayanne should have waited and/or talked about it with Angela first. There is the argument that Angela and Jordan were not together at the time, but I think that it's invalid. If Rayanne was Angela's friend, she wouldn't have gone after the guy that Angela still had eyes for. Also, Jordan is to blame as well. Yes, at this time he was single and could do what he wants, but he should have know better than to have fooled around with his ex-girlfriend's best friend so soon after they broke up.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Would Rayanne & Angela's friendship ever been the sa

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 26th 2002, 3:10 am

We've discussed this one somewhere on the board before, and my opinion still hasn't changed. I don't think Rayanne and Angela would ever have been able to get their friendship back to the way it was. Yes, they had a great six months or so of hanging out, but both were evolving and changing in a way where they might have completely grown out of each other in another six months.

The newness of Rayanne's wild side was a little too wild, and Angela's own feelings about Jordan and life in general seemed to be veering from the direction Rayanne was heading in. Once Rayanne crossed that line and slept with Jordan, there was an eternal cloud hanging over their friendship. For some reason, girls are always more accepting of guys who screw up than their girlfriends who betray them. I suppose it has to do with friendship meaning more than any person whom a girl thinks she loves. In any case, I don't think Angela could ever have really fully forgiven Rayanne for what she did.

As for Rayanne and Jordan hooking up again, I don't think it would happen. Rayanne feels too guilty about what happened the first time, and Jordan is now smitten with Angela. Besides, Jordan, from just a guy point of view, wouldn't really be interested in having sex with Rayanne anymore because he had been there, done that.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

Forgiveness

Post by glitter_punk » Nov 27th 2002, 4:44 am

I think there's a little of foreshadowing when Patty is talking about how she slept with Camille's crush, and her and camille remained friends... but I was also thinking that maybe Angela and Rayanne didn't have that kind of friendship and there would only be forgiveness with a person like Sharon or something (someone she's known for a long time, been able to trust)... however, I don't think they could be totally the same.
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Would Rayanne & Angela's friendship ever been the same?

Post by Superjesus » Jul 5th 2011, 1:20 am

Whoa, nearly a 9 year bump but I'll share anyway.

No, their friendship would not have been the same (definitely not like it was pre-Other People's Mothers). Not to say that I don't think they could have been friends later. I on e experienced something similar when a now-ex (but not because of this) girlfriend of mine cheated on me with my best friend after drinking too much. I forgave her much faster than I forgave him (not only because of the make-up sex) but eventually I did and we're still mates today. Angela would eventually have done as much toward Rayanne had we had q second season.

That said, what we would have seen would have been a major change in the dynamics of their friendship. Pre-OPM, Rayanne was the queen bee and Angela her faithful worker. After she ODed and Angela realized just how dangerous she could be both to herself and her best friends we had the uneasy situation that Angela explained in On The Wagon until that moment. Something like the Rayanne/Jordan hookup almost had to happen because
Angela and Rayanne (and, of course, Rickie - but to a lesser extent) could not have continued to have a healthy friendship with the kind of uneasy tension just below the surface.

However, if Angela was to forgive Rayanne it would be her acknowledging Rayanne for everything she is - warts and all - and also her admission that she is capable of being the dominant friend. Rayanne would go with this because she realizes just how much she needs Angela in her life and just how important she is to her. Rayanne knows that she doesn't have the strength to conquer her battles on her own - she needs Angela to push her over the edge. Angela, at the same time, would need to recognize this in Rayanne, realize just how much she needs her and put aside her own feelings to help her ex-best friend by assuming a far more assertive role than she has in the past. Would she be capable of this? I believe so but I wouldn't bet on it.

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Post by RCBS » Jul 6th 2011, 6:05 pm

Carrot.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 17th 2016, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Would Rayanne & Angela's friendship ever been the sa

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 6:25 am

NIGHTJESSI wrote:Besides, Jordan, from just a guy point of view, wouldn't really be interested in having sex with Rayanne anymore because he had been there, done that.
Ouch. Plus, he finds Rayanne completely irritating (and she finds him dull-witted and predictable).

Otherwise, I agree; they are growing apart ("Other People's Mothers" and "On the Wagon"). I don't rule out that they'll never find a way to be friend-ish again, nor that Angela will be able to forgive; I just don't see Angela ever being able to fully trust Rayanne again. The fact that Jordan and Rayanne dislike each other makes it so much worse -- if Rayanne can do something so left field, and with seemingly no motivation, what else might she be capable of? This event would also probably further solidify Angela's discomfort with Rayanne's substance abuse.
glitter_punk wrote:I think there's a little of foreshadowing when Patty is talking about how she slept with Camille's crush, and her and camille remained friends... but I was also thinking that maybe Angela and Rayanne didn't have that kind of friendship and there would only be forgiveness with a person like Sharon or something (someone she's known for a long time, been able to trust)... however, I don't think they could be totally the same.
I think that might be right -- the foreshadowing thing -- had their friendship not had these other strains on it already. It seems like their friendship might have survived the substance abuse and introvert/extrovert issues, etc. or the sleeping with the love interest, but probably not both.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 6:39 am

Superjesus wrote:Pre-OPM, Rayanne was the queen bee and Angela her faithful worker.
This is probably just a case of semantics, but I wouldn't characterize their relationship in this way. For sure, Rayanne was the hub -- a burst of energy and light, magnetizing and mesmerizing, but a Queen Bee -- someone who bosses and intimidates? No. And while Angela certainly was significantly influenced by Rayanne, she was never a lackey the way "worker bee" connotes. Again, probably just semantics.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !