Age of members on this forum

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Age of Forum members

10 - 14 years
No votes
15 - 20 years
15%
21 - 25 years
34%
26 - 30 years
25%
31 - 40 years
20%
41 - 50 years
5%
51 years and over
2%

Total votes: 61

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Nov 21st 2002, 8:07 am

Nostradamus wrote:Was William Gibson the guy that wrote all those hacker novels?
Author of 'Neuromancer', 'Count Zero', 'Mona Lisa Overdrive', 'Virtual Light', 'Idoru', 'All Tomorrow's Parties', etc. Invented the 'cyberpunk' genre, along with Neal Stephenson (author of 'Snowcrash')http://www.well.com/user/neal/. Coined the term 'cyberspace'. A fan site with an overview of Gibson's work is at http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/gibson.html.

There's a documentary film interview of Gibson out on DVD, 'No Maps for These Territories' http://www.nomaps.com/. The DVD is marketed via a Hobby Roboticsweb store, of all things. Baby Boomers will appreciate that Gibson went to Canada in the VietnamWar era, not to protest the Imperialist American Opression of the Downtrodden NorthVietnamese, but to be closer to 'hippy chicks and hashish'...

Gibson wrote two X-FIles episodes, along with Tom Maddox: 'Kill Switch' in season 5 and 'First Person Shooter' in season 7. See http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/ ... ripts.html. I remember 'Kill Switch', but had given up on X-Files before the 7th season, might have to look 'First Person Shooter' up myself...
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 21st 2002, 12:46 pm

Snowcrash is such a goddamn good book.

I just had to say that.

And the majority of Gibson's work rocks as well.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 22nd 2002, 4:06 am

MadMichael wrote:Gibson wrote two X-FIles episodes, along with Tom Maddox: 'Kill Switch' in season 5 and 'First Person Shooter' in season 7. See http://www.antonraubenweiss.com/gibson/ ... ripts.html. I remember 'Kill Switch', but had given up on X-Files before the 7th season, might have to look 'First Person Shooter' up myself...
:shock: Oh, no! Tell me it ain't so! I happened to see 'First Person Shooter'. Except for a few interesting bits it was so incredibly preposterous and dumb. :roll:

The one i'm looking for is definitely "Kill Switch"! 8)

Thanks for info.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 22nd 2002, 4:12 am

K-man wrote:Hey SCLoon, Square Pegs was the BEST!!!!!!!! Would kill to get that one on DVD :D
:shock: Whoa! I didn't think anybody would remember that one. Only 1 season and pretty off-center.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 22nd 2002, 1:40 pm

Square Pegs was the greatest! I was a sophomore in high school when it aired and that show was all we talked about on the busride to and from school. :D We couldn't get enough of it! I did catch two episodes on some obscure satellite channel last month. The episode with DEVO and I can't remember the other one but I actually thought I had found a channel good enough to re-run the series but no such luck. They only showd the eps. with bands guest starring. :( That show helped usher in the whole new-wave/punk movement IMHO. I fear most of the Lifers here weren't even born yet, so I doubt many will comment on the show but back in '82 this was a GREAT show. :D :D
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

the sun'll come out tomorrow!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 22nd 2002, 3:26 pm

What I loved the most: Sarah Jessica Parker.

I know she's an Emmy award winning actress now, but for some reason when they do mini-bios on her, they always neglect to mention her great stuff like "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

I think they like to throw in her "Annie" on Broadway thing just to give her the "ooh child star who isn't screwed up"/theatre cred.

:D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 24th 2002, 3:52 am

So-Called Loon wrote:
K-man wrote:Hey SCLoon, Square Pegs was the BEST!!!!!!!! Would kill to get that one on DVD :D
:shock: Whoa! I didn't think anybody would remember that one. Only 1 season and pretty off-center.
I don't think i've met anyone who didn't remember that show.

In a fairly recent viewing of the show on TV Land or something I came to the realization it was alot better in my memory then in front of my eyes. But i guess that happens with a LOT of things.

And Candygirl, I still say that Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was her best project ever. Atleast that i can recall. (and that judgement also includes the 'cheese factor'...so no i dont think its fine cinema...its good in the way that Teen Witch is good)