Claire Danes in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.

Special Edition Romeo and Juliet DVD

Post by Guest » Mar 22nd 2002, 6:10 pm

Hey Everyone- I've never been here before, but I love this website. My So-Called Life was my favorite primetime TV show when I was in high school. Anyway, if any of you love Romeo and Juliet with Claire Danes, you must get the special edition DVD. Its great.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Special Edition Romeo and Juliet DVD

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 24th 2002, 2:57 am

Welcome to the board. Care to share what the special edition DVD features? I love that movie as well as its soundtrack.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Post by Guest » Mar 24th 2002, 5:29 pm

This DVD has some pretty cool special features, like behind-the-scenes footage, rehearsal footage for a few different scenes, commentary by the director, production designer, cinematographer, interviews with the cast and crew, and footage of the very first pre-production workshop in Australia with Leonardo DiCaprio. Maybe I just love this DVD because I've been a die-hard Romeo and Juliet fan for 5 years and a Baz Lurhmann fan as well. If you don't already own this movie on DVD, I would strongly recommend purchasing the special edition DVD. I think its worth the money.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 26th 2002, 12:40 am

Thanx for the info on what was included. I actually never owned the movie although I had borrowed the video from a friend for way longer than I should have quite a while back. The special edition DVD definitely sounds like the way to go when I get some extra cash, especially with all the fun extras.

Post by Guest » Apr 4th 2002, 12:13 am

This movie really is good. I saw it 8 times when it was in the theaters. Get the DVD.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Claire Danes in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 5th 2002, 6:51 am

According to Zap2It.com, this movie ("Twentieth-century teenagers fall in love, despite feuding families, in an update of the classic tragedy") is slated to air on FX Wednesday, 11/6, at 8 or 11:30 p.m. EST; Saturday, 11/9, at 5:30 p.m. EST, and Sunday, 11/10, at noon EST.

SPOILERS

When I first saw this one in the theaters, I was actually pretty disappointed. But upon subsequent viewings and also purchasing the first soundtrack, I grew to love the movie more and more. Despite the MTV-likeness (or maybe because of the MTV-ness) of most of the flick, I like the interplay between Claire and Leonardo DiCaprio. They were both more innocent and young then, and they fit their roles so well.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 4:05 am

Favorite moment: when Angela's eyes open.

Damn, gets me every time!

:cry:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 8th 2002, 10:30 am

candygirl wrote:Favorite moment: when Angela's eyes open.

Damn, gets me every time!

:cry:
I know. When Juliet is waking up just as Romeo is drinking the potion. You can see her expression go from love when she sees him, to confusion when she sees what he is doing, to horror when she finally realizes what he just did. Excellent acting in that scene.

I felt the same about this movie as I did for Moulin Rouge. At first it was too much. Too much was going on, it was going too fast, and I couldn't focus on anything. But the more I watched it, the more I fell in love with it. I love Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet now. Didn't the same director do those two movies? That might explain that.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 8th 2002, 11:00 am

Both by Aussie Baz Luhrman (don't know if I spelt that right).

I loved both films; what a feast of colour and visual spectacle!

:D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 5:34 pm

I liked Moulin Rouge too - Baz has a talent for creating a visual cornucopia that I understand some people find overwhelming. I admit that I felt a little bit tricked when I saw Moulin Rouge because all I knew about the movie beforehand was that Baz and Nicole Kidman were involved. About halfway through the movie I started getting that deja vu/plagiarism feeling. I finally asked the people I was with if it was supposed to be an updated version of La Dame Aux Camilles!

Interesting that now Baz is resurrecting his version of La Boheme.

:D

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Nov 21st 2002, 5:00 pm

When I first saw Romeo and Juliet I loved it. But I went to watch it the other day and it suddenly hit me how stupid it really is. Some of the acting is great, as are some of the scenes - my favourite part is when Claire and Leo see each other through the fish tank. But anyway, for the most part, it's a pathetic movie - IMHO.

I remember when I saw it at the movies, during the part where Juliet realises that Romeo is dead and she bursts out crying, well, most people in the audience just burst out laughing. At the time I thought "what a bunch of morons" but now I think they were right, she sounds really bad. And let's be honest, Claire Danes is really ugly when she cries. O.K, so no one looks attractive when they cry, but she looks ultra-ugly! I always cringe when I watch the scene in MSCL "Other People's Daughters" where she's with Jordan under the bleachers (is that what you guys call them?) and she's telling him about Sharon's dad and starts crying - I'm so glad that Jordan can't actually see her face - for her sake! All that said - she's a great actress.

I haven't seen Moulin Rouge but my favourite Baz film is Strictly Ballroom. It's fantastic.
"See, I have this philosophy......."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 21st 2002, 5:45 pm

But that is one of the reasons why I LIKE Claire Danes - she is more concerned with being honest in her acting than what it looks like. Let's be truthful - NO ONE looks good when they are crying, especially hysterically. Your face crumples up, you turn pink, there's snot running everywhere. The fact that she can cry that way on screen (rather than the elegant crying that some people like to do - stone face with one tear running down the cheek) - I have to say, I really admire that. :wink:

And at least it's less unhealthy (or more healthy?) than asking actresses to gain 30 pounds the way Minnie Driver did for Circle of Friends.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 21st 2002, 6:12 pm

I'm with candygirl on this one. I think that Danes' crying is extremely realistic. Have you ever looked in the mirror when you cried? She looks just like that. I really felt her emotion when she cried out loud after Romeo died. It was pure devastation. I don't think that she looked or sounded ridiculous at all. Remember, Juliet is a young teenager, and young girls cry like that.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 21st 2002, 7:38 pm

Funny, it reminds me of when Ewan McGregor is crying at the end of Moulin Rouge. Same thing. Hmm...both Baz Luhrman (sp?) Red Curtain films. Baz possibly has a thing for ending movies this way? :wink:

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Nov 21st 2002, 7:47 pm

Megs wrote: Remember, Juliet is a young teenager, and young girls cry like that.
They do? :shock: I can honestly and happily say that I did not cry like this when I was a young teenager. And I don't remember any of my friends doing so either!!!!! BTW, I did say in my previous post that no one is attractive when they cry.
"See, I have this philosophy......."