My shirt and the office

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
mia
Yearbook Team

My shirt and the office

Post by mia » Dec 3rd 1999, 3:37 pm

Ok, so you guys probably couldn't care less, but I had to share this with people who might appreciate it. I wore my MSCL t-shirt to the office today (we have casual Fridays). It's a simple black shirt with the logo on front and a quote on the back.

So anyway, I was walking down the hall a few minutes ago, and passed a coworker. As she passed me, she didn't stop, she didn't slow down, she just started ranting: "Jordan Catalano was one of the most beautiful people on the planet. I 'm so pissed they canceled it. Sucky time-slot. I have the last episode on tape. That show rocks. I loved when they reran it on MTV. I'm like obsessed." And suddenly there's like this bond between us that wasn't there 5 minutes previous. Like we now know we each have excellent taste. :)

So then I take maybe 2 more steps, and another coworker yells out from her office "Did Angela and Jordan get back together? I missed the last episode." So then I had to fill her in about Sharon and Rayanne, and Brian and the letter and Agela's finding out, etc. Nevermind that some people in the office were staring at us as if we were insane for remembering the last episode of a TV show that ended it's original run 4 years ago, we were having a grand old time.

Yet 2 more pieces of proof that ABC should have its head examined. Although, if it had continued, would any of us be here now - fanatically discussing a mere TV show? Hmmm...probably.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: My shirt and the office

Post by Jack » Dec 3rd 1999, 7:27 pm

Mia,

Hi...I mean...hello. Now all of you MSCL-obsessed fans get back to work when you're on the
time-clock, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Talking about a silly show long gone! Really!
I mean, like, really! This is what you do? This is how you live? Talking about non-existent
characters like they're real! Especially Jordan Catalano, that idiot! Do you think he'll understand
one word of the Bicycle Thief? Angela only understands it because Brian explained it to her!
I can't believe this...standing around the office talking about a TV show...Why are you like this?
...You know...like how you are? None of this is covered in the phonics manual, so get back to
work!

And one other thing: The show wasn't cancelled 4 years ago. It was 4 years, 10 months and a
week...or something like that.

I know what you're thinking: Admit it first, that all of this happened. Well it didn't happen, it's just
a silly show. All of you MSCL-obsessed fans probably go around quoting the show, or worse,
subconsciously quoting the show. Well I'm not one of you. I know what you're thinking, that I'm
...heartless, or something. You'd probably like to tell me to go to hell, and I just might, but then
I'd just reply to your post from there.

Well enough already, I gotta get back to work. Do you have any idea what kind of pressure I'm
under? Have you ever even heard of working for yourself? Working for someone else is a paid
vacation next to working for yourself! Okay, I'm going now, I'm leaving! My third pot of coffee
just finished brewing. I take it black with three or four sugars. I'm leaving.

Hi...hey.
Seeya,
(being silly)
Jack

P.S. What is the quote on the back of your shirt?

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Dec 3rd 1999, 8:20 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, it's been 4 years, 10 months, 1 week, and a day. Or it will be in
1 hr and 44 minutes. Not that it really matters to me, I mean, forget it...I already have.

Jack (accuracy's my middle name)

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Dec 3rd 1999, 10:38 pm

In case anybody cares, it's now been 4 years, 10 months, 1 week, 1 day, and 36 minutes.

Jack (who's tired of replying to his own posts)

grim4746
Krakow

Re: it's been awhile

Post by grim4746 » Dec 4th 1999, 2:13 am

I prefer not to think about it myself. The exact amount of time it has been since the show officially 'ended'. Partly because I don't really acknowledge that it did, most of the time (except when I'm complaining about ABC) and partly because I don't really want to think about how long I've been obsessed with the show for fear that I may have to examine what that says about me. But mostly because I'm bad with numbers and probably would have been about a year and a half off. SO thanks for sparing me the effort.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Dec 4th 1999, 3:46 am

I think we're all obsessed with the show, or at lease like it a lot, I'm mean, like, really a lot. But it's
a harmless pasttime...in my humble opinion. I really enjoy communicating, and having fun, with
my internet MSCL friends. As far as I can tell, we're all students, working professionals or both.
The folks I communicate with regularly are intelligent, articulate, and motivated. There are a lot of
worse ways to spend one's time. And if you're concerned what that says about you, just look at
it this way, this website was put together by people who are just as interested (or obsessed) with
the show as you are, maybe more so. Go to the fan fiction section. You know how motivated
you have to be to right a script? Pretty darn motivated! I wouldn't worry about what that says
about you. The very fact you would even concern yourself with it, says you're aware of your
thoughts or feelings about a TV show. If you aware, you don't have a problem. And as for my
repeated posts on the shows cancellation, I hope you got a chuckle, that's always the point
of my rants, to give someone a good laugh. Okay, it's late, I'm rambling now and I don't think
I'm making all that much sense (even less sense than usual), so I'm going now, goodnite all,
sleep tight, talk to yous again in the morning after I've had my coffee...black...with three or
four sugars.

Ranting-Jack

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Dec 4th 1999, 3:52 am

Grim4746,

I almost forgot. It's now been 4 years, 10 months, 1 week, 1 day and 5 hours 48 minutes.

(up to the minute) Jack

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Dec 4th 1999, 6:33 pm

Going to this site always makes me feel more normal ----
because I see how much more obsessed all of you are!

Seriously, though: Jack, you crack me up!

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Dec 4th 1999, 8:27 pm

I agree, Oldguy! I didn't know that other people were so obsessed with the show until I found this site---and it makes me so happy!! In a way, it reminds me of that saying "Misery loves company." How about "Obsessive people love company?" That's more like it. :-)

And Jack--your posts were AMAZINGLY creative. I would have never thought of nonchalantly throwing in so many of those quotes into my writing. The only one that I use often is, "...in my humble opinion." Although, every once in a while at school, someone will say something like, "It doesn't seem like a Tuesday." And I'll go into the whole Angela-and-Jordan-in-Tino's-house scene. No one else gets it, but I think it's hilarious. Thanks for keeping us entertained!!

angelika

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 4th 1999, 9:48 pm

I have to say that I loved your post Jack. too funny. I know what you mean, angelika, about how people will almost quote the show. there have been many times I want to quote to people in response of something they will say. or say "ahh, this happened in that episode when Angela..." but mostly, when I'm reminded of mscl outside in the "real" world, I just smile to myself, like an inside joke that only I get. and if you pay attention, it happens a lot!!

emmie

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Dec 4th 1999, 10:17 pm

Emmie I completely agree about how much of the real world is a reminder of the show. I think it goes back to the idea that the show was the best reflection of real life that has ever been offered by television.
Jack, your posts are always entertaining and often reminiscent of my own thoughts. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Dec 4th 1999, 11:03 pm

Jack, your post has made me even more giddy. The quote on the back of my shirt is: "This life has been a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have been given instructions on where to go and what to do."

Emmie: I agree with what you said later in this posting string. These characters invade your life. Just wait till you're at an oscar party and you blurt out, "What the hell is Angela wearing?" Half the people looked at me like I was crazy. The other half launched into a dialogue about how they loved/hated Jordan. A friend of mine has informed me that I can not, under any circumstances, name my car Angela, because I'd only confuse him. Oh well...

Yours,
Mia

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 4:23 pm

Now I know this post is quite old and might drudge up some painful memories of how long ago the show was canceled, but I just couldn't resist resurrecting Jack's hilarious use of MSCL quotes in his posting. It was full of finesse.

Also, I just wanted to say how glad I am that I found this forum and other people who love this show as much as I do. I am really looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Interestingly enough, someone asked me the other day what I had planned for the evening, and I mentioned I was going to start a marathon of my MSCL tapes. And she mentioned that her daughter, who is around my age, loves that show and would probably want to borrow the tapes sometime when she is in town. It's just proof positive that there were more MSCL fans out there than the Nielsen's said there were.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard