Want to check video quality? Take a look at this!!

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Want to check video quality? Take a look at this!!

Post by DoubleBilled » Nov 17th 2002, 7:20 pm

Disc 2.

Father Figure episode

Time mark 21:36

Right after Graham says: "I like it when you actually need me".

Watch for the dark horizontal line and the pale white horizontal line bob up and down along with his head as he kisses Patty.

This is what I see on all episodes. But this one example is the most blatant. Please take a look. Maybe I got a bad batch??

Someone earlier mentioned Macrovision interference. Perhaps this is it? I'm going to drag out my anti-macrovision 'black box" (really a color corrector) and see what comes out. Have to find it first, though.

And if you post your results, which I encourage, please also post your player model, and if it's a DVD drive or not. Thanks!

Let's get to the bottom of this!

db

phelix
Yearbook Team

Post by phelix » Nov 17th 2002, 7:50 pm

I have a tool that can spit out avergate bitrate, quantization level, etc. for any MPEG2 source. So, whever I get the discs, I'll dump them into my computer and see what I can find out.

What you describe sounds more like dropout than macrovision. Since the master source for this was tape, dropout is definately possible, and it's something that is not easily compensated for.

(dropout is what happens when the video signal disappears for a fraction of a scanline. What you see in it's place is a solid white line, though I suppose it could also be a black)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 17th 2002, 9:34 pm

Time Bit Rate
Disc 1
48:00 5.57
47:12 5.56
47:10 5.68
Disc 2
47:30 5.46
47:06 5.45
47:54 5.46
47:08 5.45
Disc 3
48:02 5.45
47:22 5.17
48:12 5.45
48:06 5.46
Disc 4
47:36 5.46
47:52 5.17
47:38 5.45
48:44 5.16
Disc 5
46:22 5.46
47:12 5.45
48:28 5.46
47:42 5.45

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Re: Want to check video quality? Take a look at this!!

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Nov 17th 2002, 9:38 pm

DoubleBilled wrote:Disc 2.

Father Figure episode

Watch for the dark horizontal line and the pale white horizontal line bob up and down along with his head as he kisses Patty.

This is what I see on all episodes. But this one example is the most blatant. Please take a look. Maybe I got a bad batch??

Someone earlier mentioned Macrovision interference. Perhaps this is it? I'm going to drag out my anti-macrovision 'black box" (really a color corrector) and see what comes out. Have to find it first, though.

And if you post your results, which I encourage, please also post your player model, and if it's a DVD drive or not. Thanks!

db
DB,
Please for the sake of all that's good will you take your whining somewhere else? Go to a DVD anal review site or something......NO ONE CARES ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK. Most everyone is just happy that the set is on DVD...it's been explained time and time again about what could cause the picture quality flaws, and you can't get it through your head?? NOT ALL TRANSFERS OF EVERYTHING ARE PERFECT. Unless you're gonna go back in time, and SAVE the film masters, then SHUT UP. You are a rude obnoxious airhead that evidently has nothing better to do than pick apart anything and anyone that you can get your hands on.......but guess what, no one is listening....at least I'm certainly not anymore....Most of us have been tired of trying to wade through these forums looking for a glimpse that these actually exist, and going through all of the nightmares. Why do you have to add to that? JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT. You got your set, if you don't like it THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE and keep your opinions to yourself......

hollis27
Liberty High Student

Post by hollis27 » Nov 17th 2002, 10:18 pm

Recovering Fetus - Get lost. :roll:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 17th 2002, 10:31 pm

Okay, time out.

Why is everyone getting so mad at each other?

If you think that the DVD looks like crap, then fine, you think it looks like crap.

If you think that the DVD looks okay, then fine, you think it looks okay.

Yelling at each other will NOT change anyone's perception of the DVD quality.

If you want to tell us about the DVD quality, then please be specific (as DoubleBilled was in this thread), and tell us EXACTLY what you saw and when. Give a time rather than a scene (someone said there were problems in the principal's office scene of "Guns and Gossip" but there are three scenes that take place in the principal's office, so an actual time is better). Better yet, give us a screen cap. Either way BE SPECIFIC. If you just give us something generic like, "it looks terrible" that is not helpful to any of us. If you tell us what you saw and when, then we know what to look for when we watch.

Keep in mind that this is a discussion forum at an unofficial fan website, so you can vent all you want but it will not yield a constructive result because it is not within our power to change the DVDs, just as it is not within our powers to refund anyone's money. If you want something done, you must address your concerns to the appropriate parties.

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Nov 18th 2002, 1:07 am

hollis27 wrote:Recovering Fetus - Get lost. :roll:
why are you taking that guy's side? i'm just saying what everyone else *wants* to say.....he's a jerk, he's insulted jason, insulted basically everyone that made this project a reality. granted, yeah, maybe a better job could've been done, but he's certainly attacking the wrong people....tell him to e-mail his rants to BMG, because frankly i'm tired of hearing about it

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Nov 18th 2002, 1:40 am

Ummm, the OTHER thread is for bitching and for bitching about bitching.

This thread is for posting what you see at the time code I gave should you choose to participate.

Thanks for your cooperation.

db

hollis27
Liberty High Student

Post by hollis27 » Nov 18th 2002, 2:24 am

I'm "taking this guy's side" as opposed to yours because I found your post offensive. You have the audacity to call someone who is making a comment about the MSCL DVD (and by the way, you obviously haven't noticed, but this is the MSCL DVD site, and therefore, what he is saying IS relevant) 'obnoxious' and 'rude'. I suggest you take a look at your post sweetie, because you are obviously describing yourself. As a person who doesn't have the DVD yet, I am interested in what people have to say about it, good or bad. Whether or not he has insulted Jason really doesn't have anything to do with it. If he insulted Jason in another thread, and I found it offensive, I would let him know. I would not, however, bash every other post he makes, based on that one incident. Just like I found you offensive in this thread, if you were to post something else sometime, I wouldn't login and bash you because of this thread. Frankly, it's a weak thing to do. Just my opinion. Have a good on there Bud.
PS- What he wrote can't be described as ranting. He's trying to get info.

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Nov 18th 2002, 4:06 pm

hollis27 wrote:I'm "taking this guy's side" as opposed to yours because I found your post offensive. You have the audacity to call someone who is making a comment about the MSCL DVD (and by the way, you obviously haven't noticed, but this is the MSCL DVD site, and therefore, what he is saying IS relevant) 'obnoxious' and 'rude'. I suggest you take a look at your post sweetie, because you are obviously describing yourself. As a person who doesn't have the DVD yet, I am interested in what people have to say about it, good or bad. Whether or not he has insulted Jason really doesn't have anything to do with it. If he insulted Jason in another thread, and I found it offensive, I would let him know. I would not, however, bash every other post he makes, based on that one incident. Just like I found you offensive in this thread, if you were to post something else sometime, I wouldn't login and bash you because of this thread. Frankly, it's a weak thing to do. Just my opinion. Have a good on there Bud.
PS- What he wrote can't be described as ranting. He's trying to get info.
To: Recovering Fetus
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:42 am
Subject: Tell you what...
Tell you what, you stay out of my threads and I'll stay out of yours because you really have nothing to add except Jason and BMG brown-nosing.

Thanks, buddy.

db

here's my lovely "private" message i recieved...now you tell me who's the obnoxious jerk......

hollis27
Liberty High Student

Post by hollis27 » Nov 18th 2002, 5:36 pm

If you had carefully read my reply to you, you would know that that PM doesn't have any bearing on this matter whatsoever. So you have an issue with the guy, that's fine by me. But you don't have to bash him when he makes a completely non-combative, non-offensive post.
And to answer your question, I'm still thinking it's you. Good day.

Mold E. Peaches
Liberty High Student

Post by Mold E. Peaches » Nov 19th 2002, 11:48 pm

I think it's funny how no one's actually replied to his little question anyway...probably because most people dont even have the set yet....but the people that do are watching and happy.....let it go.

Lurker1999
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Lurker1999 » Nov 20th 2002, 1:34 am

Well I had to come across a troll eventually with all the posts.. just ignore the troll and he'll crawl back into his hole. Some people just can't be left alone with a keyboard. :roll:

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Want to check video quality? Take a look at this!!

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 20th 2002, 1:58 am

DoubleBilled wrote:Disc 2.

Father Figure episode

db
This episode is on right now and I just saw what you were talking about. I saw the same lines or whatever earlier too, don't remember when but I've only watched disc 1 and just started disc 2 now.
I'm watching on my Apple iBook.
To whoever else.. I'm not posting because I'm pissed off or I'm trying to find problems or make problems seem worse, I'm just posting because I see this stuff too.
I'm very happy with my set & these things don't bother me, just want to say that I'm seeing this stuff as well. Yep.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 20th 2002, 5:26 am

Recovering Fetus wrote:I think it's funny how no one's actually replied to his little question anyway...probably because most people dont even have the set yet....but the people that do are watching and happy.....let it go.
Actually, people haven't responded because they don't want to come off as ungrateful to the people who put alot of work into it like Jason. But I def agree that there are some errors in the production of these disks. I have experienced similiar problems like glitches, and when watching on the computer, white dashes run along the top. I can pick a bunch of specific times where I saw very noticable problems. I just don't feel the need to jot them down for the sake of being "specific" about my displeasure with the PRODUCTION of this set. I do not doubt that people aren't plastering this thread with complaints because they are enjoying their sets. i love the set because the show is amazing. I am simply upset for having paid so much and waited so long for something that seems like it was just slapped together. No paper inserts, no accompanying booklet, no COA, same cheesy quotes and write-ups on the back of each disk. Do you think they could have taken the time to put different character faces on each disk case? That's really easy and would be aesthetically satisfying. And those awful menus.

I am glad people have different opinions about this. There is no doubt that the show itself is great. But whoever produced these DVD's did not do the show justice by just slapping them together. My "24" box set seemed kinda put together quickly, and still the box, dvd's, packaging and most importantly, the picture quality came out great.