Patty's parents

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
grim4746
Krakow

Patty's parents

Post by grim4746 » Feb 21st 2000, 10:46 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up before or if anyone even cares but it's kind of been bugging me. It just seems weird that they are never seen together (I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they weren't). I know they weren't a huge part of the show or anything but it seemed strange that they were never shown together. I don't think they were even seen in the same episode. Am I wrong? Did anyone else notice if so do you have any thoughts on it?

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Patty's parents

Post by oldguy » Feb 22nd 2000, 12:32 am

That's a new one for me --- although I think you're right. I don't think they were ever shown together.
Maybe that's another MSCL inside joke --- kind of like the whole "Tino" thing (You know, where every
episode mentions Tino but he's never shown on camera.). Brian Krackow's parents are another
interesting pair: They're never shown either, even though they're referred to a lot. I think with Patty's
parents --- they're supposed to be sort of estranged (even though maybe they're not "technically"
separated or divorced). I would bet that's the intention. --------------------------------- "Old Guy"

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Feb 22nd 2000, 2:09 am

I think your probably right on this P...um, er...Oldguy. A suggestion of estrangement between
Patty's parents. And watching both of them, it's a wonder they can stand to be around themselves.

One little bit of trivia that I'm sure everybody already knows. Paul Dooley who plays Chuck Wood
is married to series creator Winnie Holzman.

Hmmm...Chuck Wood. Was the name an accident or an inside joke?
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Above Post

Post by Jack » Feb 22nd 2000, 2:15 am

I just now noticed after going back to the Forum Index, that my above post checked in at
number 666. How am I supposed to interpret that? I think I'm goin' out the window. Bye.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Feb 24th 2000, 1:37 am

I noticed for this for the first time last week when I had a mini-marathon. I always think it's funny that Patty's father doesn't make it to his anniversary. I think yours is a good explanation as to why they are never seen together. they are both such opposites though, that I can't picture them together at all!! to me it would just be too awkward.

emmie

grim4746
Krakow

Re: Thanks

Post by grim4746 » Feb 27th 2000, 1:57 pm

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I was just wondering because I'm working on a fanfiction story and wasn't sure if I should address it or just continue to have them never seen together. Some of the fanfiction stories I've read have them together and I didn't think I wanted to do it that way. I'm still not sure what way to go but it's good to know that other people got the same impression I did.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 2:40 pm

I feel like I am constantly repeating myself, but I guess the insightful discussions on this forum have made me so excited that I can't help but resurrect a million of the threads.

I definitely think it was intentional that we never saw Patty's parents together. The fact that Patty's mom was planning an anniversary party without really thinking about what Chuck wanted was quite telling. And given what we saw of them separately, I could see how they would be distant from one another.

Perhaps that's part of why Patty is so concerned about her relationship with Graham, to the point sometimes where she is too concerned about things or carries her criticisms of him too far. After seeing the way her parents interact with one another, Patty undoubtedly wanted a better relationship between her and Graham and it seems, for the most part, that that was achieved.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard