best buy ad

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
kali0927
Tino

best buy ad

Post by kali0927 » Nov 17th 2002, 2:25 pm

best buy will have mscl dvd for 59.99 at their stores tuesday, nov 19th

--kali

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: best buy ad

Post by lance » Nov 17th 2002, 7:37 pm

kali0927 wrote:best buy will have mscl dvd for 59.99 at their stores tuesday, nov 19th

--kali
Kali,

Thanks for posting this, I did see the ad this morning. Stilll waiting for Amazon...

Lance Man

David Lambert
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by David Lambert » Nov 17th 2002, 7:46 pm

I definately remembered MSCL in my Weekly Roundup today! :D
DAVE LAMBERT
Memphis, TN

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 17th 2002, 7:51 pm

Thanks for posting this. I figured Best Buy would carry them but I didn't think they would ever have many of them in store. I'm sure they're going to have quite a few sets there if they have it in their flyer this week.

I cancelled my Amazon order so I can save myself a few dollars. It's 59.99 at Best Buy, and I won't have to pay shipping and I'll get it on the release date for sure.

I'll probably be at Best Buy shortly after they open on Tuesday, especially if I have to work later in the day. Only like one more day til I get a set!!

Still waiting on my set from AU too, but as long as I get one to watch it'll be easier to wait for the one from AU.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

jujublue
Frozen Embryo

Post by jujublue » Nov 17th 2002, 8:13 pm

i'll be getting it from them. No shipping costs, plus It's cheaper. i'm so glad I didn't pre order from Au like i was going to. The Best buy site has no shipping costs either, so it's really good either way.

pinkchimney
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pinkchimney » Nov 18th 2002, 4:11 pm

The Best Buy near me already has the sets in the store. if you live in brooklyn, NY go to the new Best Buy that just opened on Bay Pkwy. they had the set for a week now.

kali0927
Tino

Post by kali0927 » Nov 18th 2002, 6:27 pm

Jessica-

I talked to my friend who works at one of the best buy stores and he said they have about 50 sets on hand. Thats a good thing for me because I have class until 8pm so I can't get down their till almost close. But, there are four stores in the columbus area, so there are plenty to chose from :D I know I can't wait to finally have the set in my hands

--kali
(Go bucks! Beat michigan!)

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 18th 2002, 6:52 pm

Kali, thanks for that information.

I can probably only get there in the morning either way, but it's good to know that they have quite a few sets so if I can't make it on Tuesday I'm sure there will still be plenty later in the week. I only know of one Best Buy that is fairly close to here(about 20 minutes away), but I don't think that they will sell out quickly. I'm still hoping that I don't have to work tomorrow or if I do that it's later on in the day so I can get there around morning time and get a set.

I think I need to look for a new job, this waiting for schedules thing is too annoying!

kali0927 wrote:Jessica-

I talked to my friend who works at one of the best buy stores and he said they have about 50 sets on hand. Thats a good thing for me because I have class until 8pm so I can't get down their till almost close. But, there are four stores in the columbus area, so there are plenty to chose from :D I know I can't wait to finally have the set in my hands

--kali
(Go bucks! Beat michigan!)

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 19th 2002, 9:23 pm

Woo! I got my set today at Best Buy. They had about 40 of them on the shelf. Of course I wanted to make sure the box had no damage to it but I missed a spot and theres a small rip in the cardboard slipcase on the top. Damn! Oh well.

Anyway, I told work I was going to be late and I went to get the set at like 1130a. I came home and put each disc in my iBook to see how they looked. I have to agree with the people complaining about the quality, mostly of the first disc. The first disc seriously looks like crap on my iBook. I haven't tried it on my TV & DVD player yet, but it probably looks better on there. On the iBook it looks like a crappy video that you download or something. Also noticing a white line or something on the top of the screen? The white line appeared on another disc too. I haven't actually watched all of the discs, though. Just put each disc in and picked an episode to watch like 2 minutes of from each disc. Yep. So I got my set, and the quality doesn't bother me. It might look better on my TV rather than my iBook, so I'll have to try that out. Even so I'm just really glad I finally got the set & can finally watch all the episodes after not seeing them for like 7 years.

Now if only AU will finally ship my set from them then I'll feel even better. So even though I have a set, I still have to deal with trying to get what I ordered from AU on February 11th. So I'll keep hoping that they ship next week and then it'll be over for good.

Sorry, too lazy to rotate it!

Cap'n Fool
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Cap'n Fool » Nov 20th 2002, 12:26 am

Jessica Popsicles wrote:<snip>

Also noticing a white line or something on the top of the screen? The white line appeared on another disc too.
I could be wrong about this, but I think this stuff that people are seeing at the top of the screen is Closed Caption data. It should only be visible when viewing on a computer, which shows the whole frame, warts & all. You probably won't see it on a standard DVD player/TV setup (if your TV is adjusted properly).

For what it's worth...

Cap'n Fool (should have my set from Amazon in a coupla days!! :shock: )

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 20th 2002, 12:46 am

Cap'n Fool wrote:

Also noticing a white line or something on the top of the screen? The white line appeared on another disc too.
I could be wrong about this, but I think this stuff that people are seeing at the top of the screen is Closed Caption data. It should only be visible when viewing on a computer, which shows the whole frame, warts & all. You probably won't see it on a standard DVD player/TV setup (if your TV is adjusted properly).

For what it's worth...

I'm not a big A/V nerd, but some people theorize that the broken white line at the top of the picture is copyright protection. And yeah, whatever causes it, I can see it on my computer monitor but not on my friend's TV screen. The DVDs also seem better suited for TV resolution; a high-res computer monitor may be too much. So Jessica, don't despair until you try it on your TV. :)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 20th 2002, 1:22 am

Nostradamus wrote:
Cap'n Fool wrote:

For what it's worth...

I'm not a big A/V nerd, but some people theorize that the broken white line at the top of the picture is copyright protection. And yeah, whatever causes it, I can see it on my computer monitor but not on my friend's TV screen. The DVDs also seem better suited for TV resolution; a high-res computer monitor may be too much. So Jessica, don't despair until you try it on your TV. :)
Yeah, I'm not worried about it anyway. I'm just happy to have the DVDs finally. I use my computer more often to watch things, but if it bothered me enough(which it doesn't) then I'd watch it on my TV to feel better about it. Just got done watching the first disc, I want to watch all of them all at once but I'll probably pass out soon... long day.

David Lambert
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by David Lambert » Nov 20th 2002, 8:38 pm

When I got there at 11 sharp yesterday, an hour after they opened, they had already sold three sets. They had enough copies to fill 2 shelves, two-units deep! Would have posted this yesterday, but this site seems to have been down.

Great to get this for just $59.99, and to just walk into Best Buy and be watching it within the hour! :D
DAVE LAMBERT
Memphis, TN

Cap'n Fool
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Cap'n Fool » Nov 20th 2002, 10:39 pm

David Lambert wrote:When I got there at 11 sharp yesterday, an hour after they opened, they had already sold three sets. They had enough copies to fill 2 shelves, two-units deep!
Oh, man... I'm due to get mine from Amazon in a day or two, so I'm not going to bother to cancel with them, but I am gonna get in my car right now & drive out to Best Buy, just to see them on the shelf, because, well, because this whole ordeal has made me a little nuts. Maybe I'll console myself with a new MST3K disc, heh.

Cap'n Fool (MITCHELL!)