Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 15th 2002, 9:14 pm

I agree that Joyce had to be Morphy (what a great nickname!) as well. Unless they are trying to throw us off by putting in one real ghost. Still, I don't think what she was saying could possibly be true, about Buffy not choosing Dawn (I mean, she died for the girl in season 5! What more can you ask?).

Anya and Xander weren't in the episode at all -- I think that fact is significant. It had to have been deliberate. Did you notice how none of the characters interacted with one another for the entire episode? Odd.

The Buffy scenes were hilarious, and I loved that she finally admitted to Spike actually being a good guy.

About the Dawn sequences....where in the world did she get that spell she did on the ghost-thing? I mean, I'm sure there were books lying around the house, but considering how fiercely that thing was attaching her, do you really think it would let her go find a book, look up a spell, get together all the candles etc and then set them all up? Think about the number of times the Scoobies have spent an entire episode looking for a spell like that. Sorry. Just had to get that out of my head -- doesn't mean I didn't like it anyway. =)

Tracey

PS -- Have any of you been watching Firefly (Joss Whedon's newest show)? I'd love to get a thread started on that!
I mock you with my monkey pants.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 16th 2002, 4:14 am

:shock:
Boy, it sounds like you people have some peculiar neighbors!

The way the discussion goes you'd think that's who's being discussed. I obviously know less than not much about that show.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 16th 2002, 4:18 am

worldsapart wrote:PS -- Have any of you been watching Firefly (Joss Whedon's newest show)? I'd love to get a thread started on that!
I think i've seen three episodes so far. I still can't make up my mind as to whether i like it, or whether i like the characters. I doubt it's going to be a "don't miss" show for me unless it congeals a bit more.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 16th 2002, 5:12 am

I made a point to watch the first episode of Firefly but since then, I watch if (1) I am home (2) the tv is on (3) I happen to flip to the right channel.

I actually prefer John Doe to Firefly at this point, but maybe that's because I have seen more complete JD episodes.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 16th 2002, 5:18 am

worldsapart wrote:About the Dawn sequences....where in the world did she get that spell she did on the ghost-thing? I mean, I'm sure there were books lying around the house, but considering how fiercely that thing was attaching her, do you really think it would let her go find a book, look up a spell, get together all the candles etc and then set them all up? Think about the number of times the Scoobies have spent an entire episode looking for a spell like that. Sorry. Just had to get that out of my head -- doesn't mean I didn't like it anyway. =)
I completely agree. When they cut to the scene where Dawn had all the candles lit and the book out, etc. I thought YEAH RIGHT! If Morphy or FE or whoever was that dead set on stopping Dawn from doing the spell (as evidenced by the violence that followed), why in the heck would they sit back and watch Dawn dig up the perfect spell book, look up the right spell, gather her ingredients (interesting since Willow supposedly got rid of all that stuff when she quit cold turkey last season), find her special spell-casting glitter, line the room with candles, then whip out her trusty Aim & Flame? Then again, Morphy was playing mind games in that episode so maybe that was just to lull her into a false sense of security (similar to making Willow believe that Tara was talking to her through Cassie). Or maybe ME just wanted to get some candlelit ambience going while they let Dawn throw her sparkles around the living room.

:wink:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 16th 2002, 10:39 pm

Hey all,

Candygirl, no clue as to how Dawn knew how to do the spell. As to how she was able to do it, I think Morphy is playiing with her and the rest of the Gang. I guess will see more on Tuesday.

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 16th 2002, 10:40 pm

Wow,

I have finally achieved "lifehead" status. This is way cool.

Lance Man 8)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 16th 2002, 10:57 pm

Congrats on becoming an official lifehead Lance!

:D

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 18th 2002, 9:33 pm

I really like John Doe too, but I missed several episodes in a row so I'm gonna have to wait for holiday reruns to catch back up.

I gave Firefly a try mainly because it was a Joss Whedon show, and I think the man is brilliant. It didn't blow me away to begin with, but then again I don't think Buffy would have either (I started watching during second season), seeing as first season was a bit cheesy and "monster of the week"-ish. It definitely had great moments, and picked up a lot toward the end of the season (Nightmares, Prophecy Girl). Anyway, the 3rd ep of Firefly (Our Mrs. Reynolds) was hilarious, but the real stand-out ep (in my opinion) so far has been the 5th (Out of Gas). It was penned by Tim Minear (who's written lots of Angel eps -- see list here) and was absolutely amazing. It was a mixture of flashbacks and flashforwards all from one moment in the episode as Captain Reynolds tries to get life support back online. Anyway, if you've seen enough of the show to be familiar with the characters, download it from KaZaA and watch it. It's good. I'm only caught up through the 6th ep, so I can't really say much more except that I think it's got real possibilities.

Tracey

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 18th 2002, 9:41 pm

For those of you Spike fetishists, tomorrow's episode is a must. Lots of Spike. Mmmmm.

Must...stop...reading...wildfeed...evil...but...so...good...

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 18th 2002, 9:48 pm

candygirl,

My cousin always reads the wildfeed and downloads the episodes and watches them the night before, so don't feel bad. You're not the only one. I let her tell me about them (if there's not anything too major), but I refuse to do it myself. It's tough, but I've managed to hold out.

Tracey

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 18th 2002, 10:42 pm

I admire your self control but I just don't possess that level of discipline!

:D

Anyway, I can't wait to see tomorrow's episode. Finally some plot advancement!

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 19th 2002, 4:31 am

candygirl wrote:I made a point to watch the first episode of Firefly but since then, I watch if (1) I am home (2) the tv is on (3) I happen to flip to the right channel.

I actually prefer John Doe to Firefly at this point, but maybe that's because I have seen more complete JD episodes.
I was also disappointed in John Doe. (Oy, that probably means it's solid!)
It seemed like a CSI with only one team member. I guy who knows everything, knows too much. :?

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 19th 2002, 4:42 am

worldsapart wrote:I really like John Doe too, but I missed several episodes in a row so I'm gonna have to wait for holiday reruns to catch back up.

Anyway, if you've seen enough of the show to be familiar with the characters, download it from KaZaA and watch it. It's good. I'm only caught up through the 6th ep, so I can't really say much more except that I think it's got real possibilities.
While i think it's nice to see something that doesn't look like Star Trek, but the character's seem to be just a bit too unatached and cutthroat. Seems a bit jumbled with the backstory fairly unclear.

I liked Babylon 5, and i was disappointed that it moved to cable so i didn't see it all. :roll: But the depth of the characters and story was great.

Alas, no KaZaA available for Mac. A weird compatible called NEO (which is a Cocoa app, for you Mac savvy people) is the only program i know about and though coming nicely, it still lacks dozens of essential features.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 19th 2002, 4:50 am

worldsapart wrote:My cousin always reads the wildfeed and downloads the episodes and watches them the night before, so don't feel bad.
Wow, that's really cool!

Ahh, what the heck is the wildfeed? :?