Age of members on this forum

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.

Age of Forum members

10 - 14 years
No votes
15 - 20 years
15%
21 - 25 years
34%
26 - 30 years
25%
31 - 40 years
20%
41 - 50 years
5%
51 years and over
2%

Total votes: 61

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: CONFESSION!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 15th 2002, 4:44 am

Why does all the best stuff on TV get cancelled?
So-Called Loon wrote: I know the answer to this! In the past few years i've been absolutely certain that i should be a TV schedule planner. The simple answer to the question is, anything i think is really exceptional won't last more than a season! If i like it pretty well it will be around but never a big hit. And, of course, if i hate it, it's got at least 3 seasons before it bombs. If i don't watch it at all and can't render a verdict, it's pretty much up to chance.

Yes, it's true. TV shows, and indeed bands as well, fail based upon my personal taste. Only a show or 2 each season escapes my jinxing power!
I have the same power but it extends to other consumer goods. Want to ensure that your favorite Bath & Body Works scent will be around forever? Make sure that I don't like it! They have discontinued at least three or four of my must have products - without warning I might add! At least when Iced Pineapple mysteriously disappeared off their shelves, the cashier was nice enough to tell me they had a stash in the back that they were supposed to send back to headquarters so she let me buy a bunch.

I made Garden Botanika's custom blended lotion my new choice. Then what happened? They declared bankruptcy and closed all their retail locations. Again, no warning. First one store shut down and I thought "HEY!" but I knew there was another one nearby. Lo and behold, they announced that location was closing too. I bought over $200 of stuff in one fell swoop during my last sad visit.

S&W Snow Peaches are yummy - a hybrid of plums and peaches so they are very sweet and mmmmm. I used to buy some at least once a month. Now I can't even special order them with that stupid Albertson's request form.

Need I go on?! I am a jinx!
So anyway, if anybody knows a show they liked that bombed, or one they hated that did well and perhaps you wonder why, just tell me what it is and i can tell you what i was doing at the time or thinking and shed some light on why it had the fortunes it had.
:wink:
Full House, a show that I detested but lasted YEARS then went on to years of syndication. Ugh!

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Nov 15th 2002, 6:45 am

Thanks to everyone who explained what Ben and Jerry's was and for all the yummy flavour descriptions.

But now I wish I'd never asked since I can't get it. :cry: I wonder if my husband and two kids would mind moving to the States? Or I could take K-man's advice and become the Australian importer of B&J's!!!!! Great idea K-man. :idea:

And thank you candygirl for passing on their web address - I'm going there now.

BTW, my favourite, even though I've never tasted it, would have to be Half Baked.
"See, I have this philosophy......."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Nov 15th 2002, 9:59 am

Or I could take K-man's advice and become the Australian importer of B&J's!!!!! Great idea K-man
Frightening... I just had a thought of B&J's newest flavor Fosters Berry Bash :twisted: Ok I'll take my bad jokes and go home now.... :oops:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 15th 2002, 12:22 pm

Hey SCLoon, Square Pegs was the BEST!!!!!!!! Would kill to get that one on DVD :D
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Re: CONFESSION!

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 16th 2002, 4:41 am

candygirl wrote:Full House, a show that I detested but lasted YEARS then went on to years of syndication. Ugh!
:o :shock: aaaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:oops: Gag, glurk, brr...urk...bleaaahhh! That show makes me nauseous! It could stay in syndication indefinitely!

My teeth begin to grind when i even think about how horrid that writting was. Every joke with it's cutesy little setup. Actual activity practically coming to a halt until the putrid punchline can be uttered. Grrrr.

The irony of this power to alter TV programming is that it seems i could save the shows i like by not watching them until they've been on for a season or so. But, of course, i don't know which ones i like without watching them, and then it's too late. :roll:
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 16th 2002, 5:04 am

Awww, you didn't wike da cutesy-pootsy Olson twins? <shudders> :x :lol:

SCL, to test your theory, did you watch Maximum Bob or Now And Again?

I second your theory in that the best TV is the kind that I don't watch until it's already several years old and I already know how all the good cliffhangers turned out: Northern Exposure, MSCL, X-Files, Buffy, ER, NYPD Blue, all of the Star Treks, etc. :roll:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

jujublue
Frozen Embryo

Post by jujublue » Nov 17th 2002, 1:04 pm

i'm 22

utah

Post by utah » Nov 17th 2002, 11:16 pm

iam 22, male and from london, England.
Is every one on this site from the US :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 17th 2002, 11:33 pm

No, there are a lot of members from Australia, UK, and Canada. If you look in the DVD forum, there are some threads about international orders so you can see where people are from that way.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 18th 2002, 1:54 am

The part of Full House I always hated the most was when Dad or Uncle Jesse gave the girls "the talk" and it always turned out to be so gushy and sacchrine (sp?) with that music in the background. YUCK. At least the Olsen twin provided me the opportunity to tease my little brother growing up.

me: "Hey Tim look it's your girlfriends!"
Tim: "Shut up! They are NOT!"

Nowadays he's 17 and says they're not so bad looking. Whatever!

So-Called Angel
Three Rivers Resident

Post by So-Called Angel » Nov 18th 2002, 6:17 am

mglenn wrote:
Frightening... I just had a thought of B&J's newest flavor Fosters Berry Bash

Sounds pretty gross....but my husband would love it. As would most of the guys down here!!!!!!!
"See, I have this philosophy......."

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

I NEED A COPY OF X-FILES EPISODE BY WILLIAM GIBSON!

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 19th 2002, 4:26 am

Nostradamus wrote:Awww, you didn't wike da cutesy-pootsy Olson twins? <shudders> :x :lol:

SCL, to test your theory, did you watch Maximum Bob or Now And Again?
They both slipped by my powers. Didn't see them at all.
I second your theory in that the best TV is the kind that I don't watch until it's already several years old and I already know how all the good cliffhangers turned out: Northern Exposure, MSCL, X-Files, Buffy, ER, NYPD Blue, all of the Star Treks, etc. :roll:
Ahhh. One i'd almost forgotten. Northern Exposure was cool. It fits too because i didn't actually see the first season til reruns. Same with X-Files. Looked too supernatural to suit me. The next season, after i saw a few, and they started repeating the old ones i caught them. The first few were excellent. Very creepy.

If anyone has the equipment and recording to make a good copy, i'd love to have the X-Files episode written by William Gibson!
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 20th 2002, 12:33 am

Kristin wrote:The part of Full House I always hated the most was when Dad or Uncle Jesse gave the girls "the talk" and it always turned out to be so gushy and sacchrine (sp?) with that music in the background. YUCK. At least the Olsen twin provided me the opportunity to tease my little brother growing up.

me: "Hey Tim look it's your girlfriends!"
Tim: "Shut up! They are NOT!"

Nowadays he's 17 and says they're not so bad looking. Whatever!
No,

My brother and I have never fully recovered from Full House exposure, nor come to think of it the infamous Ann of Avonlee marathon my sister ran. Darn, she always knew where to hide the remotes.

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 21st 2002, 7:15 am

Was William Gibson the guy that wrote all those hacker novels? Net Runner or something? 'Cuz if it is, I know what episode you mean, though I don't have it on tape...

:?:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 21st 2002, 7:18 am

The Olson (Olsen?) twins shared the role of Michelle, the youngest sister. Sickeningly cute, IMHO. :wink:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain