Post in this thread if you got your DVDs and want to share.

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Neptin
Tino

Re: The Gold Standard?

Post by Neptin » Nov 13th 2002, 7:34 pm

Nostradamus wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I've got a small question about the dvds and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

Looking at my set I noticed that discs one, two, and three have the standard issue silver foil coloration on the bottom side while discs four and five have gold foil. Now, this is the first multi disc set I've owned, so perhaps it's commonplace, but I'm wondering why there are two disc colors within the same set. As far as I know there is no difference in quality between the two; it just seems odd.

:?:
Only two of mine are gold. Did we figure out why yet?

icawa
Frozen Embryo

Post by icawa » Nov 13th 2002, 10:25 pm

Just to let you all know, I received the set I ordered in February on Tuesday, November 12 around 5:00 pm est. I live in Maryland.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Nov 13th 2002, 10:31 pm

Neptin wrote: Only two of mine are gold. Did we figure out why yet?
Strange. Two of mine (volumes 1 and 2) are gold, the rest are silver. Haven't looked into it any farther than that yet, though.

So far, my only real thoughts are

- Man, that's a lot of shrinkwrap. I guess I know why they did it this way, but it's a whole lot of unwrapping.

- The slipcase is pretty flimsy, the flimsiest of any DVD I own. Again, I guess I know why that's so, but it's kind of annoying.

- The DVDs themselves look a little cheap, with no inserts in the cases.

But really, as long as the video quality is OK and all my discs play, I'll pretty happy just to have the show in a more or less permanent format.

JRjr

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 13th 2002, 10:37 pm

The tally thus far:

Nostradamus - 2 gold (#4-5), 3 silver
vapspwi - 2 gold (#1-2), 3 silver
Neptin - 2 gold, 3 silver
candygirl - 5 gold, 0 silver

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 14th 2002, 2:40 am

I asked a friend with a big DVD collection about the gold vs. silver issue. As far as he knows, the shiny foil on CDs and DVDs can be tinted to any color without really affecting quality. He did however think it odd that colors would be randomly mixed within a box set. His best guess was that BMG used two separate batches of blank discs, possibly from two different manufacturers. In that event, it would only amount to a curiosity as to how the two batches got shuffled together within the individual boxes. I'd still kinda like to hear from a DVD expert on this, to put it to rest. :?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jim
Overlooked Sibling

gold vs. silver

Post by Jim » Nov 14th 2002, 9:58 am

It has always been my understanding that silver DVDs are single-layer discs, with a playing time of a little over 2 hours, and that gold DVDs are dual-layer discs, which can play for up to 4 hours.

Since each of the discs in the MSCL set contains more than 2 hours of programming, I would have expected them all to be gold. I don't think it really makes a difference, though.

Jim
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: gold vs. silver

Post by Sascha » Nov 14th 2002, 10:19 am

Jim wrote:It has always been my understanding that silver DVDs are single-layer discs, with a playing time of a little over 2 hours, and that gold DVDs are dual-layer discs, which can play for up to 4 hours.
AFAIK there's a new (well, about two years old) process that allows dual-layer discs to be silver too. But gold discs are always dual-layer discs.

trtusc
Frozen Embryo

Tuscaloosa, Alabama - GOT MINE TODAY!!

Post by trtusc » Nov 14th 2002, 4:58 pm

Hi all,
I got home yesterday and there was an email with a tracking #, i've been watching it like a hawk on the ups site. So glad i was off today, now i can leave the house. Even though they were supposed to go to my work, go figure. Anyway, i am happy now, i feel liek a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE weight is off my shoulders, now i've got to cancel my order at deepdiscountdvd, that was my backup, so now going to order the first season of Due South, WOOOO HOOOO, now i can really have an angst-a-thon, Now if only thurtysomethign would come out, sighhhhh

angelgirl
Nicky Driscoll

yay!

Post by angelgirl » Nov 14th 2002, 5:23 pm

well, i don't have mine in hand; i had mine shipped home to rhode island since i thought they'd be coming over the summer (i'm at school in long island). after 2 missed attempts my parents called and told ups to hold on to them and my dad would pick them up. i just got on the ups website and it said my dad had signed for them, so my parents now have them in their hands. my parents are coming down because i'm singning in a show at school, so i will have my dvds tomorrow!!!! boy, lessons (i'm a dork i love my voice lessons!), performing, my parents and my mscl dvds!! i can't wait!!!!!!!!! :D

tengrand
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tengrand » Nov 15th 2002, 1:26 pm

Last night I watched the epsiode "Other People's Mothers" and the sound was slightly off. It was out of sync with the video for most of the espisode. Has anyone else noticed this? It wasn't a huge deal, the episode was still watchable, but it was definitely noticeable. If mine is the only one like this then I am going to contact BMG to send me a new disk.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 15th 2002, 3:44 pm

I received my disks on Wednesday. They were delivered on Tuesday, but my husband didn't get home from work fast enough to pick them up at the rental office. Man, I was pissed. But he redeemed himself by picking them up Wednesday morning.

I watched Life of Brian first, then The Pilot, Guns and Gossip, and then Dancing in the Dark. I will have to watch Other People's Mothers to see if the audio is off. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. :?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Nov 15th 2002, 4:06 pm

Hello Tengrand. I have noticed this problem with some of my DVD's. It might be your player. Are you playing it in your computer. A lot of DVD players in computers tend to lose sync. Basically it is best to stop and restart the DVD and the sync will pick back up. This can also happen with a standard player. Also it might be your sound system. I know that sometimes if I use my speaker stereo system, the sync seems off. But if I just use the speakers on my TV it plays fine. I will try my copy of Others People Mother's tonight and let you know how it plays.
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna

Jewel
Tino

Post by Jewel » Nov 15th 2002, 4:50 pm

I actually received my DVDs today (the UPS guy just rang the doorbell and took off...). I ordered set 4-19 and the first disc was taken out, as it should be. I was supposed to be part of Wave 2, but was given a tracking number last week that didn't move. After talking to Wade, he sent out one that had been returned to AU so that I didn't have to wait.

I guess I'm posting this just so others know that there is hope. AU (Wade) actually followed through on something they said they would do.

So I'm a happy camper right now! I think I'll watch them all day tomorrow!

heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Nov 15th 2002, 4:54 pm

I was supposed to get set 4-19, but I was sent a tracking number for two packages that did not move. I contacted Mike and he sent out a new set, I got all 19 episodes. Interesting. I think they screwed up and gave me a tracking number by mistake. Oh well, I am defiently not going to send the first disc back. E-bay here I come.
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna

missgyder
Frozen Embryo

Post by missgyder » Nov 16th 2002, 10:03 pm

Nostradamus wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I've got a small question about the dvds and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

Looking at my set I noticed that discs one, two, and three have the standard issue silver foil coloration on the bottom side while discs four and five have gold foil. Now, this is the first multi disc set I've owned, so perhaps it's commonplace, but I'm wondering why there are two disc colors within the same set. As far as I know there is no difference in quality between the two; it just seems odd.

:?:
I've got 2 gold, 3 silver -- 1 & 2 are gold, 3, 4, 5, silver.