A little curiosity satisfying survey...

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

Faves

Post by glitter_punk » Nov 14th 2002, 3:50 pm

My favorite bands are Smashing Pumpkins, Kill Hannah, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and Kylie Minogue. I like all genres... mostly alternative/rock, but it all depends on my mood. Favorite movies are Jay and Silent Bob series, Godfather trilogy, and Walk to Remember. Favorite books, I don't really read that much, but probably Walk to Remember.
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 14th 2002, 10:57 pm

Hi there - might I weigh in? :D Let's see:

SOME Favorite Music (impossible for any of us to name ALL):
Jamiroquai - A funk Odyssey, (listening RIGHT NOW!!)
STP, ALL of 'em
Red Hot Chili Peppers, ALL but the latest, not in love yet
Jeff Buckley - Grace!
No Doubt :roll: I know, but they're great ta me!
ALL 80s Funk bands - really in a phase at the moment!
and on an on...

Rather than books - impossible - Authors:
Stephen King, no question my fave, since I was 13 - MANY moons ago!
Gregory McDonald - YOU know who I'm talking about
JRR, obviously
Anne Rice
and...Bill Watterson

Movies: So-called-Loon, all my faves are on your list, except Mona Lisa(?)
I'll add: Virgin Suicides, Lone Star, Voyager, Fight Club, Muriels Wedding, on and on. Oh ya, and the Big Lebowski, ALL Coen flicks for that matter, and let's not forget my fave genre, HORROR- I have over 350 titles right now and I'll probably never stop...

Shows, in order of fave: Twin Peaks (ANYTHING Lynch), X-Files, Buffy/ER, Scrubs - it grows on ya! And of course...The Simpsons! Goes without saying...

That's about it I think. Without getting all novella on ya :wink:
Last edited by Rickie Love on Nov 15th 2002, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 15th 2002, 4:49 am

Ricky Love wrote:No Doubt :roll: I know, but they're great ta me!
As a reward for your confession, I will tell you that I went to the No Doubt/Garbage concert tonight and it was awesome!!

The two negative things: bar chick seated in front of me (ugh) and the beer was served in plastic cups, which I can live with, but I found it unexcusably tacky for the two people seated in the next row to put on the soda cup lids and insert straws into the clear plastic beer cups. My boyfriend said that the only time you are allowed to drink beer through a straw is if you are wearing one of those beer hats OR if you are physically incapacitated i.e. your jaw was wired shut, both your arms are in traction, etc. Everyone else at the concert was okay in my book.

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 15th 2002, 3:42 pm

:lol: Woo-Hoo!! CandyGirl, I forgot to mention Garbage as one of my other faves...I cannot BELIEVE how envious of you I am at the moment. The both of 'em to gether?? I bet that was a great show. Killer energy..... :shock: I'm starting to sound all teeny-boppy, even to my own ears...Oh well, it's Friday. And I'm low on coffee -

:wink:
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Nov 15th 2002, 6:22 pm

Bands Godspeed You Black Emporer!, Nirvana, the Who, Pink Floyd, the Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, the Clash, the Sex Pistols.

Music i like the whole instamental thing, and alot of classic rock.

Films 1. 2001: a Space Odyssey 2. Taxi Driver 3. American Graffiti

Film Genre ill watch anything by Stanley Kubrick, or Geoge Lucas. some other favorite directors are Wes Anderson, Coppola, Darren Aronofsky(sp) black comedys are good too.

Books American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Star Wars: Dark Saber, cant rember who wrote that one. Mythmaker: George Lucas by Baxter.

TV Series MSCL of course, the Family Guy, Simpsons, News Radio, Lois and Clark, Batman the animated series, and the 60's too.

great post
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

Re: A little curiosity satisfying survey...

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 15th 2002, 10:03 pm

Joe wrote:Probably the wrong forum, but what the hey. Just wondering what everyone's favourite:
Bands/Music
Films/Film Genre
Books
are.
Bands/music artists (in no particular order of preference)
Magnetic Fields
Handsome Family
Tindersticks
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Leonard Cohen
Vigilantes of Love
Terry Taylor (and all bands he is involved in)
Sixpence None the Richer
Jewel
Garbage
Angelo Badalamenti
Mark Heard
Bruce Cockburn
(Of course, this is just off the top of my head; I have about 1200 CDs in my personal collection. I've pared my collection down to the essentials! :) )

Movies:
That Thing You Do
Ghost World
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
Kevin Smith's "Jersey" films
Election
Groundhog Day
Happy Gilmore
Rushmore
Blue Velvet
Unbreakable
Signs
Road to Perdition

Of course, those are off the top of my head...I have close to 750 DVDs in my collection.

Books
Lynch on Lynch
From Hell
Road to Perdition
Watchmen
Why I Hate Saturn
Q Squared
The Trigun Empire
Comics, Comix, and Graphic Novels
Stranger Music (Leonard Cohen)
poetry by Sylvia Plath
Strain

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 15th 2002, 10:27 pm

Wow, katy. You and I have a lot of faves in common!

Bands:
Too many to try and name. I'm a huge fan of soundtracks because I can get lots of different artists on one cd. Fave soundtracks: Buffy, Buffy musical, Newsies, Save the Last Dance, Coyote Ugly, the Cutting Edge....you get the picture.

Music:
Anything except for rap and country, and I even like the rare rap song and then even more rare country song. I'm a sucker for pop (yes, I like NSync), but my general tastes lean more in the rock range.

Films:
see http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=796

Books:
Stephen King, Madeleine L'Engle, Harry Potter, Animorphs (I love kids books), any Buffy novels by Nancy Holder or Christopher Golden, Barbara Michaels, Jane Austen....the list goes on (hey! my family owns a bookstore, so sue me!)

TV:
Buffy, Angel, MSCL, Firefly, John Doe (though I keep missing it lately--I'm gonna have to catch it in reruns over the holidays), CSI, Will and Grace, Friends (I've only recently started watching the latter 2 on evening reruns and I'm addicted)....

Tracey
I mock you with my monkey pants.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 16th 2002, 12:59 am

Kittie (1st album)
Avril Lavaigne
Wheezer (I absolutely love the video where they run around with the muppets)

JodyK
Nicky Driscoll

My favorites

Post by JodyK » Nov 17th 2002, 10:16 pm

Music: The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Movies: Anything by Cameron Crowe, John Hughes

Books: Most of the books I read are on The Who, Skynyrd, or the Simpsons

I always loved Cameron Crowe - but when I watched Jerry Maguire's director commentary and I found out about how he had an homage to MS-CL I about died. Plus Winnie was in the movie!

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Nov 18th 2002, 1:10 pm

worldsapart wrote:Wow, katy. You and I have a lot of faves in common!
Tracey, I was actually thinking that when I read your movies list...hey, anyone with a Christian Bale obsession is good in my book. I'd have to add Swing Kids and Much Ado about Nothing to your list...

And in response to your signature (from Surprise):
L'hippo a pique' ses pantalons.
...'cause "all monkeys are French. You didn't know that?"
Hehe. I love Oz! Such a great Willow/Oz exchange!

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 18th 2002, 9:19 pm

Yeah, Swing Kids woulda been on there but I couldn't really find a place for it. Much Ado About Nothing is an excellent movie as well, even if it's Robert Sean Leonard instead of Christian Bale. =) Plus I'm a sucker for Shakespeare stuff (except for the Mel Gibson Hamlet -- yuck). In the CB department, I'm also a big fan of Midsummer Night's Dream (and, you know, Shakespeare is a plus), Prince of Jutland (AKA Royal Deceit, which, oddly enough is based on the same myth as Hamlet), and Shaft (even if he is the bad guy). I have yet to see American Psycho....I'm afraid his image may never recover if I do.

Tracey
I mock you with my monkey pants.

Paranoid Android
Frozen Embryo

Favorites

Post by Paranoid Android » Nov 19th 2002, 9:17 pm

For anyone who wants to know just for fun, these are my likes:

Bands
.Radiohead. Buffalo Tom. Coldplay. Butthole Surfers. Rancid.
Common Rider. Ataris.

Movies
.Army of Darkness. Willow. Romeo+Juliet. Crouching Tiger. Clerks. Princess Mononoke.

Books
.Another Roadside Attraction. American Gods. The Archaic Revival.
Dark Tower Series. Illusions. Back to Save the Universe. Siddhartha.
Dante's Inferno.

Peace+Love
Whatever happens, happens.
It doesn't necessarily do it in
chronological order though.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 19th 2002, 10:13 pm

worldsapart wrote:Yeah, Swing Kids woulda been on there but I couldn't really find a place for it. Much Ado About Nothing is an excellent movie as well, even if it's Robert Sean Leonard instead of Christian Bale. =) Plus I'm a sucker for Shakespeare stuff (except for the Mel Gibson Hamlet -- yuck). In the CB department, I'm also a big fan of Midsummer Night's Dream (and, you know, Shakespeare is a plus), Prince of Jutland (AKA Royal Deceit, which, oddly enough is based on the same myth as Hamlet), and Shaft (even if he is the bad guy). I have yet to see American Psycho....I'm afraid his image may never recover if I do.

Tracey
Yeah...so you like Christian Bale? Don't see Reign of Fire. Bad.

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Nov 20th 2002, 4:21 am

worldsapart wrote:I have yet to see American Psycho....I'm afraid his image may never recover if I do.
I haven't seen this film and i can't imagine how they made a film of the book.

That was one of the top 5 all time stupid boring books that i've read. :P
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 20th 2002, 1:09 pm

So-Called Loon wrote:
worldsapart wrote:I have yet to see American Psycho....I'm afraid his image may never recover if I do.
I haven't seen this film and i can't imagine how they made a film of the book.

That was one of the top 5 all time stupid boring books that i've read. :P
I would have to agree on that. I never was a Bret Easton Ellis fan. I much prefer Dennis Cooper over him.

I have never been able to get too far into one of his books, they bore me to tears.