jailbait

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

jailbait

Post by fnordboy » Nov 12th 2002, 12:27 pm

Watching the pilot again, which i haven't seen in about 8 years, it was such a shock to see how young Claire Danes was then. I know it was filmed a good time before the show was picked up and in production, but i had forgotten how young and awkward she looked.

I also forgot how well shot the show was. Interesting transitions from scene to scene etc.

Can't wait to watch the rest now. It really is like I am rediscovering the show all over again :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 12th 2002, 2:42 pm

I will readily admit that I was not big on the art of film or direction or whatever you want to call it, but I loved the way MSCL was done - like the Angela/Anne Frank thing or the whole lifeguard kissing thing. I was disappointed that they used transitions like that less and less as the series went on. I comforted myself with the incredible writing and great acting. :wink:

glitter_punk
Overlooked Sibling

back in the day

Post by glitter_punk » Nov 12th 2002, 10:57 pm

I get what you're saying about it being a long time ago... I look back on the clothes and everything... WOW!! I can't believe it!! I was 10 when I first saw MSCL.... and I'm 18/in college now... it's weird how it's stuck with me. I wrote A.J. Langer a fan letter when I was 11 and I still have the picture she sent back. It's awesome to look back on the times.
This life has been a test. If it had been an actual life, you would  have received actual instructions on where to go and what to do.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 13th 2002, 3:18 pm

I just watched the pilot on DVD for the first time last night and I definitely agree with what everyone posted in the DVD forum about how washed out the color is. Even so, when you compare everyone else's skin tone (try the dinner scene) with Claire's, she is practically glowing in the dark. I mean she isn't just pale - she is literally white as a sheet!

Looking back, it's amazing how much she was able to convey at the age of 13. I have always thought that she is a very controlled actress, but in retrospect, remembering what a bunch of spazzes 13 year old girls can be, it's incredible that she was so cognizant of herself and how to react and play off the other actors.

The other telling thing from the pilot is at the beginning when she lifts her head up from the sink, dripping wet and Crimson Glow red - her neck is soooo thin and it makes her seem very vulnerable. The rest of the episode, she seems to blend in with the other actors (age-wise) - meaning she doesn't stand out as "holy crap she's obviously a lot younger than everyone else" - but at that moment, she really does seem her age.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Nov 13th 2002, 3:44 pm

The 'head out of the sink' scene also made me think how totally young she looked. I also remember thinking "My gosh she's seems so thin and frail, she needs to eat something!"
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 14th 2002, 5:38 pm

One more thing related to the pilot!

Angela:
You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you.

John Mayer ("Your Body Is a Wonderland"):
But you look so good it hurts sometimes.

:D

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Nov 15th 2002, 10:18 am

MP3.COM has the Your Body is a Wonderland here for streaming and download.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Nov 15th 2002, 6:06 pm

even though the color isnt exactly right on the Pilot, i kind of like it that way. its hard to exsplain, it just lokks special and real. life isnt always vibrant yaknow. the rest of the ep's look great, but the first one has a feel all its own.
the pilot and Dancing in the Dark are the best when it comes to the way they were shot IMHO.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"