Preview the DVD Booklet - and Download the AU Song

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
mephisto
Angela's best friend

Preview the DVD Booklet - and Download the AU Song

Post by mephisto » Nov 12th 2002, 12:11 pm

Preview the DVD Booklet!

yes, I'm working on the unofficial DVD Booklet containing all the AU/RR artwork. You can download a preview of the booklet.

And here's the table of contents (everything used with permission!):
DVD Booklet wrote:Foreword 3
Infomercial-Man 4
Trucker Ross 6
Apathy in a Bottle 10
--- The Last Journey of Apathy 10
--- Stop bugging us 14
Toys ‘R’oss 15
--- The Poll 15
--- The Talking Doll 16
--- Darth Ross & Jason Skyfeld 17
AU Slogans & Ads 19
--- AU Slogans 19
--- AU Advertising 19
--- AU Seminars 20
--- Customer Service? 21
--- Real AU Ad 22
AU/Ross Artwork 23
--- Songs 23
--- Fan Fic 28
--- Public Service Announcement 30
--- Enlightenment 30
--- Exclusive DVD Specials 31
--- AU’s Rossware 32
--- Pictures 33
AU/Ross Horror Stories 35
--- Customers 35
--- Freelancers 36
Meet the Press 38
--- TheDigitalBits.com 38
--- MoviePoopShoot.com 46
Links & Disclaimer 63
the features:
+ contains all AU/Ross artwork
+ contaings interviews and articles about the whole mess
+ printable on both US letter and European A4 paper
+ extra large border on the left so you can bind it
+ 63 pages, partly in color
+ spell check
+ consistent layout

[edit: this paragraph is only a joke! there's even a smiley!]
you want an exclusive copy? send me $20. I don't accept credit cards. Think I'm an idiot? In the end you'll accuse me of double charging you... :lol:
[edit: this paragraph is only a joke! there's even a smiley!]

and I could need help with the foreword (stylistic check; ideas)
Foreword wrote:This is probably the first time ever an online company and its CEO have inspired so much international fan art related to customer service. This booklet is dedicated to AnotherUniverse.com (AU) and Ross Rojek.
When the fans of the TV show “My so-called Life” heard in February 2002 that the complete series would be released on DVD, they didn’t hesitate to order, albeit most of them never have heard of AU before. The company was supposed to be the only retailer.
Every customer prepaid a deposit of $20. However, a few weeks later the balance was charged as well and there were delays due to legal issues. Most fans decided to stick with AU – after all this project was a premiere. But more serious problems were still to come.
In July and August AU double charged hundreds of customers. A vast majority wasn’t credited back yet. And evidence hardens that the double charges were intentional.
Despite the fact that all customers prepaid, AU did not pay the suppliers of the “DVD Collector’s Edition” until they were publicly forced to do so in October – delaying the project for months. And the DVDs aren’t exclusive anymore: AU allowed other retailers to sell the set (without a lunchbox as special packaging and a Bonus-DVD) as well – 50% reduced.
No word yet if the promised Bonus-DVD ever will be produced. The involved companies have not been paid by AU yet.
That’s why we despise AnotherUniverse.com so much! And its CEO Ross Rojek. Fortunately, Rojek didn’t have a clue about who he was messing with. The betrayed customers won’t give up. And Jason Rosenfeld won’t give up. He made the whole project reality. He’s the one we all would like to thank for his ongoing efforts.
The Fans at MSCL.com/forum
November 2002
certainly new developments will be included - I guess we shouldn't publish this before everything's over. There's a new AU surprise every week...

:!: and now for something completely different: :!:
Howard's AU-Song is now available for download, performed by Tony Martini and the Brain Tumors
Last edited by mephisto on Nov 12th 2002, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Unofficial AnotherUniverse.com/My So-Called Life DVD-Booklet - Finally available for download!

*** The AU/RR appreciation Site ***

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Preview the DVD Booklet - and Download the AU Song

Post by andrewgd » Nov 12th 2002, 4:07 pm

mephisto wrote:you want an exclusive copy? send me $20.
I hope you're joking about taking money for copies of this. I know that at least digitalbits.com and moviepoopshoot.com probably won't appreciate that, and I'm not sure I think its right to collect a bunch of other people's work and then charge for it.

Of course, you were kidding about that right? Right? :)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 12th 2002, 4:49 pm

That song is definitely awsome!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Nov 12th 2002, 5:31 pm

andrewgd wrote:Of course, you were kidding about that right? Right? :)
certainly I was! I guess that wasn't obvious... (I'll edit that!). After all Ross didn't brainwash me
The Unofficial AnotherUniverse.com/My So-Called Life DVD-Booklet - Finally available for download!

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 13th 2002, 8:19 am

What Mephisto and others have posted about this DVD-saga memory booklet creates, for me and others who've been around among the longest in admiring the show, the highest of "MSCL"-related ironies.

Those of you who ran the DVD-petition and Another Universe gauntlets over the past months, and forged an unexpected bond, are at least getting a 63-page booklet, if you want it, about this particular fan-oriented crusade.

That DVD crusade, including the war against AU.com, has now gone on far longer -- THREE TIMES longer -- than the original campaign to try to save "MSCL" from cancellation in 1994-95.

And back then, as a follow-up to the efforts of Operation "Life" Support, a book was promised for donors to the effort to publicize the fans' support and run trade ads to urge the series' renewal. I donated, in advance (where have you had that happening recently?), and in the amount requested for two copies.

"Fighting for 'Life'" was going to include the OLS fan-support story, considerable behind-the-scenes information about the show's production, and Bill Blais's "Angela's World" analysis (written separately and available on this Website). As well as -- added on later -- the supposedly hidden story of the show's demise.

This last aim involved using the book to support the inflammatory claim of the primary author, made on the day of the show's demise (15 May 1995), that Claire Danes and her agent and handlers were the driving forces behind the show's cancellation. Aside from some ambiguous comments by Marshall Herskovitz, absolutely NO evidence for such a claim has been made available since then.

The book, its "bringing death" revelations and all, was promised to donors to OLS, as a "premium" for their support. It was never delivered -- nor, as far as I know, even completed, except for the cover art and Blais's work.

(Other such "premiums" included "MSCL"-logo coffee mugs and hats, and a set of bootlegged VHS videotapes copied from network-owned-station masters. These were all eventually delivered, although the tapes had severe quality problems. The implicit pretense was that these were informally authorized by the holders of the "MSCL" copyrights and trademarks, to benefit the fan support effort. In fact, they were not, as OLS donors only found out long after the event.)

The intended primary author of this book, who promised this "premium," later denied that it was ever promised, and never made up to the donors for his failure to create the book. He is the man who is the largely absentee owner of the domain name registration for MSCL.com -- made a reality through the Web efforts of a host of others. You can find his name at the top of the credits list for this Website.

I think the parallels with what you have been enduring in regard to Another Universe are obvious: an overblown package, paid for in advance, no sign of its being delivered in full.

It was Marx who said that history repeats itself, "the first time as tragedy, the second as farce." We who were around in 1995 for OLS and at the cancellation of the series got the tragedy, and you AU customers this year got the farce. Yet in regard to show-related goods, and honesty about associated promises, we both got the shaft.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Nov 13th 2002, 10:15 am

Greybird wrote:We who were around in 1995 for OLS and at the cancellation of the series got the tragedy, and you AU customers this year got the farce. Yet in regard to show-related goods, and honesty about associated promises, we both got the shaft.
I didn't know about the show or OLS until after it was cancelled. I'm glad I didn't, because it probably would have been a very frustrating experience.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 13th 2002, 3:04 pm

I can only take stress is measured doses - I was devastated when MSCL was cancelled and now years later AU is pissing me off to no end. I can't imagine trying to endure that kind of frustration immediately after the show ended. Grrrr. Arrgggh! Oops, wrong show.

:wink:

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Nov 13th 2002, 4:54 pm

mephisto
let me first say thank you so much for putting this all together. this is certainly a bonus item to remember and cherish for years to come!

also, i would be very happy to have my song lyrics included, if you would be willing to add them...they can be found at:

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1393&start=15

again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anakin
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Anakin » Nov 13th 2002, 11:52 pm

mephisto wrote:you want an exclusive copy? send me $20.
Ross will charge you for copyright license fee. :)
If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Nov 14th 2002, 10:44 am

The intended primary author of this book, who promised this "premium," later denied that it was ever promised, and never made up to the donors for his failure to create the book. He is the man who is the largely absentee owner of the domain name registration for MSCL.com -- made a reality through the Web efforts of a host of others. You can find his name at the top of the credits list for this Website.
First I was not around for OLS. My involvement started around Oct. 97 when I stumbled on to the message on MSCL.COM mainly due to the rebroadcast of MSCL on MTV. To make a long story short I offered my skills to Steve who was running the site at the time. My offer was accepted and I was added as a team member. Work on the site proceeded along from the end of Oct. to late Dec. Falling off around the holidays as we all spent time with our friends and families. Around the beginning of Feb.98 the team began to come back to the mailing list we had created but at the time Steve’s life, which in the end does not revolve around MSCL or this website, began to interfere with his management of the team. At that time I was asked by Steve to take over as Project Manager. This was not an easy thing for me to accept as many on the team had much more time invested at that point than I did. I will not speculate as to the reasons I was asked, instead inviting the other team members to jump in here and state what, if anything, needs to be said. Suffice to say that after I talked to the rest of the team about it I accepted the position and we once again began to discuss and created sample ideas for the site. During that time several people were invited to help as they seemed interested in MSCL, but they never delivered on promises and became inactive. Leaving, once again, the core team. Now as I feel it is quite obvious this site was a very difficult endeavor to create. And I wish I could tell you that I took months of planning. But alas the story is quite different. By late July of 98 we had virtually nothing to show. After conversing with Steve, which I had done often in the previous months I set out an ultimatum to the team. Either we would have a site together by Aug 25th of 98, 4 years to the day since the show premiered, or I would put something up myself... I wish I could tell you how it happened, but it was truly a blur... Dan, Sacsha, Digo, Kelsey and Andi ( I feel I'm forgetting someone else who was very involved then: later remembering it was Alex I think ) came together and produced a site that simply blew me away. And on Midnight of Aug. 24th we put the site on line.

Now you may notice that I have only mentioned Steve twice up until this point. But the facts are quite different and I'm sure that the other members will back me up to the fact that Steve supported each and everyone of us. Everything that has gone on in the team has not been all sunshine and giggles. We had had our problems and this is where I would say Steve shines the most. His ability to step in and refocused the team saved us on several occasions. And to say that he is an "absentee owner " is an out right lie. Now I can easily understand how those of you out there seeing the site could say that Steve has not done much, but the facts are quite different. Steve is the one we all fall back to when there are issues that are not easy to decide. The one who gets us excited about the site when we feel that it’s not worth the effort anymore. And the one who tempers us when we get ahead of our abilities and ourselves so we do not come to a crashing halt.

Steve has been instrumental in many areas of the DVD saga as it concerns this site. I cannot speak for Steve directly, but from my many conversations with him I firmly believe that if there was one thing he could do differently when it comes to MSCL it would be the OLS books. But what you must understand is that OLS like this site was a labor of love. Steve has told me the story of OLS and its beginnings, which paralleled this sites creation to an extent. What I'm saying is that looking back I don't know if I would have accepted the position of Project Manager if I had known what was in store for me. This site has cause me allot of headaches and heartaches. But it has also introduced me to an incredible group of people who I would not have had the honor to know otherwise. That group includes the core team members who never stop amazing me with their dedication to create new content and features for this site. And they do it simple for their love of the show and for you, the fans, enjoyment. They have suffered though long nights of writing and coding to bring you this site. And in those times when they worked all day at their jobs and then came home to work all night on the site, and began to feel as if it was not worth it, it was Steve who was there for them to talk to an give them back some of that excitement and put the joy in their work that makes this site great.

So please remember whom in the end was responsible for this site. Everyone of the project team had an idea for this site. But in the end it was Steve that brought us all together and focused our energies and allowed this site to be created for you. Without him there would be no site, this show for the most part would be forgotten as none of you would have a place to meet and talk about it, thus confining it to the backs of your minds. There would be no DVD's because we would not have been here in the beginning to talk to Jason and help him in his quest to bring the set to you.

P.S. Steve I'm taking this opportunity to say publicly: Thank you for everything you've done to help me in managing the team. Thanks for taking the time and long distance charges to talk to me for 3 hours at a time and get me excited again about MSCL. And Thanks for the listening and helping with the inner-team issues that have arisen from time to time.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Nov 15th 2002, 5:11 am

katy wrote:also, i would be very happy to have my song lyrics included, if you would be willing to add them...
just added them to the website and to the DVD booklet (not published yet)

sorry that I didn't include them earlier

did I miss more artwork? post the links! thanks.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 15th 2002, 10:35 am

Mephisto, this is grrrrrreat!
I love it!

Although I have to say that if I showed this to anyone who hasn't been involved in this, their response is likely to be WTF??? :D

But I don't care. I love the fact that there is humour even in the darkest of AU hours, and that you are all so creative with it - a fitting mockery of the daily pain in the rectoid that is AU!

Thank you thank you thank you

:) :)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

katy
Overlooked Sibling

Post by katy » Nov 15th 2002, 11:25 am

mephisto wrote:
katy wrote:also, i would be very happy to have my song lyrics included, if you would be willing to add them...
just added them to the website and to the DVD booklet (not published yet)

sorry that I didn't include them earlier

did I miss more artwork? post the links! thanks.
Thank you for adding my lyrics!!

I didn't find any more artwork, but I did notice that SCF added a few yanks to the Ross doll that you missed in her post: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:13 pm in the
Precious AU gift certificate topic

TessD1891
Overlooked Sibling

Post by TessD1891 » Nov 16th 2002, 10:43 pm

mephisto wrote:When the fans of the TV show “My so-called Life” heard in February 2002 that the complete series would be released on DVD, they didn’t hesitate to order, albeit most of them never have heard of AU before.
::English Major pickiness coming up:: That should be "...most of them had never heard of AU before."

Other than that, it's great. I can't wait until it's all done. :D
Brian, we're not talking about wallpaper here, are we.

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Post by mephisto » Nov 17th 2002, 7:10 am

TessD1891 wrote:Other than that, it's great. I can't wait until it's all done. :D
thanks for the correction - English isn't my mother tongue, so I really appreciate it

the booklet is ready, but IMHO we shold wait a little bit and see what AU has still in store for us :roll: - other opinions?