Favorite episodes (or rank them all?)

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Favorite episodes (or rank them all?)

Post by oldguy » Feb 21st 2000, 7:09 pm

Hey, how about a discussion topic --- ranking your favorite episodes!
Mine are a little unusual, probably (But isn't that the point --- to see
all the different reasons why people like the show?).

Here is my top five:

1) Betrayal
2) Self Esteem
3) Pilot
4) Life of Brian
5) So-Called Angels

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Favorite episodes (or rank them all?)

Post by emmie » Feb 21st 2000, 10:40 pm

I'll play along, here are my fav. eps. but looking at them, they might as well be called the Angela and Jordan chronicles. oh well.

1. Why Jordan Can't Read
2. Self-Esteem
3. Pressure
4. Betrayl
5. (a tie) Life of Brian and In Dreams Begin Responsibilities

emmie

grim4746
Krakow

Favorite episodes

Post by grim4746 » Feb 21st 2000, 10:42 pm

Mine change all the time. I can never make a firm decision of what I like best. Here's top 5 at the moment.
1. Betrayal
2. Halloween
3. Strangers in the house
4. In Dreams...
5. The Pilot

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 22nd 2000, 12:21 am

Wow... I'm kind of stunned that you guys voted for some of the same episodes as me!
"Betrayal" is such a great episode, if admittedly a little dark. There is one that I forgot,
that would probably figure in my top 5 or 6: "The Zit" ---- what a great episode!

Anybody else?

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Feb 22nd 2000, 12:35 am

I would have to say...

1) Pressure
2) In Dreams Begin Responsibilities
3) So-Called Angels
4) On the Wagon
5) Life of Brian tied with Self Esteem

Pressure is my fave because I LOVE the scene where Jordan and Angela say their goodbyes (I am thinking of the right episode aren't I? It's been ages since I've watched them). Brian is my favorite, so that's why there is #2&5a....you can't NOT love the Christmas episode (it always makes me want to cry...of course, so does ep 19, for obvious reasons!)...the end of Self Esteem is just classic....but then again, I really like Why Jordan Can't Read, just because it reveals so much more about Jordan. Oh yeah, and I like On the Wagon because I love the whole Jordan singing thing. =)

Tracey

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Feb 22nd 2000, 12:37 am

wow...very few of mine match up- but it's good to be unique! =) It's really hard to pick your favorites because they tend to change with your mood and which one you are watching at the time!

Tracey

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Feb 22nd 2000, 1:57 am

I haven't picked my favorite yet, I'll have to think about it more because they're all so good. But I, like
Tracey, enjoy episodes with Brian (even when it's a smaller part) because he's one of my favorite as
well.

And yes Tracey, Pressure is the one where Jordan and Angela say goodbye which is tremendous.
It's a tear-jerker when she touches his hair and comments on how much she's going to miss that,
and then they kiss and acknowledge they'll see each other tomorrow. That's so sad and touching
it makes me wanna go out the window (and for those who don't remember, that's eight long stories
down).

One last thing: "It's been ages since I watched them." (???) Shame on you. Go to the end of the
line. (And one more last thing: Make sure the VCR heads are clean before you watch them again.)

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Feb 22nd 2000, 11:11 am

Fave episode: Self Esteem. Those on the mailing list already know i can't pick a favorite scene. :)

Other faves:
2) In Dreams
3) Pilot
4) Pressure
5) Mr. Cherski's Heart Attack (I know that's not the actual title. I'm
blanking.)
6) Other People's Mothers
7) ...ok, you know what? I'm gonna stop now. I'm at WORK, for Pete's sake. Shame on me for using my computer for something other than business-related tasks (which lately has been surfing the net. Hey, I'm in Advertising. I gotta get ideas somehow.).

Yours, very adept at procrastinating,
Mia

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Feb 22nd 2000, 11:50 am

I pulled out Pressure and watched it last night because I hadn't seen it in so long. Happy? =) I absolutely ADORE Angela and Jordan's "goodbye" scene. I also like the part before it when she's talking to Brian (and they are actually getting along and sharing feelings and everything!) and then also the scene before at Jordan's house when Jordan says that line "You can say whatever you want about me, I never lied"...I LOVE THAT LINE! I don't know why, I just do. I would have watched more, but it was already like midnight when I started that one and I was supposed to leave for school at 8:00 today, but then (when I woke up and was REALLY exhausted) I decided to skip my beginning classes and not go until later...so I might get around to watching another one with my little bit of free time.

Tracey

PS- the VCR is working beautifully, and the first one is working again...but we'll probably take them to get professionally cleaned sometime soon just to make sure.

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Feb 22nd 2000, 7:18 pm

I was really happy when I saw all the new subjects on the board, it had been so long. Anyway back to my favorite episodes, seeing as I haven't seen the 7 not released by BMG since they were on Mtv my favorites in no paticular order are
1. Self Esteem
2. Pilot
3. Why Jordan Can't Read
4. In Dreams
5. Pressure
Mine all are also Jordan and Angela related

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Feb 23rd 2000, 8:38 pm

Ok, so, sadly I've never seen the last 7 episodes, but I have to say my favorite ones are probably Self Esteem (who doesn't have it on their list?) and Guns and Gossip. I guess I'm the only one who's said this...I'm not really sure why I like it. It's pretty sad. There's just something about it...Why Jordan can't read is pretty good, too, and I like Strangers In The House, because I love how Angela and Sharon admit how much they miss each other and all.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Feb 23rd 2000, 8:46 pm

"Guns and Gossip" is a great episode --- particularly in that I think it's the first episode
that showed that these characters weren't going to just be stereotypes. The scene
where Brian tells the school administrator to get off his back or he's going to raise hell
--- that's a great scene. We see that Brian isn't just a "nerd" but someone with
complexity and passion. We see a lot of Ricky for the first time too. And I
think Rayanne establishes herself very well in this episode too ---- all of her comments
about getting into the "excitement" of the gun controversy. It's a key episode in the
show's development.

Christina
Tino

Post by Christina » Jul 10th 2000, 11:05 pm

My top 5 favorite episodes:

1. Self Esteem
2. So-Called Angels
3. Life of Brian
4. Halloween
5. In Dreams

saake
Nicky Driscoll

Post by saake » Jul 11th 2000, 1:59 pm

Some things are just imposible ranking Mscl is imposible.. when i watch my copies i dont stop (with severe sleap depravation as an efekt)untill i fall a sleap in front of the tv. so if you ask me i wold say 1-19 on nr 1 and thats it.

Well i have vacation and enyoing the clouded sky and the repeating rains NOT. where is the sun?

the lazy swede saake

"There's something about Sunday night that makes you want to kill yourself"

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 11th 2002, 3:47 pm

I apologize but I just can't lay down a list without elaborating. Please bear with me.

1.) Weekend...I've said it before and I'm sticking to my guns.
2.) Why Jordan Can't Read...I am surprised that this episode only was mentioned two other times on this list. Does anyone remember the scene with
Angela and Jordan in the classroom discussing the 5-page letter that starts "Dear Jordan"? Angela's "dance of joy"?
"Red"? The oh-so-painful "no-show" by Jordan? Patty and Graham's pregnancy scare? Angela eating the cookie dough
ice cream at the end? Danielle and Brian? The exchange in the kitchen when Angela asks about dating?
3.) Dancing In The Dark...As noted in the video section of this site, the editing on this one is amazing. Rayanne shines. The buildup to Angela meeting Jordan throughout the show is great. Krakow fans gotta love this one too. Did anyone else love this episode like I did?
4.) Self Esteem...I think it's all been said about this one.
5.) In Dreams Begin Responsibilities...So many classic scenes.
6.) Pressure
7.) Resolutions...The scene where Brian tutors Jordan is one of the best.
8.) So Called Angels
9.) Life of Brian
10.) Halloween
11.) Pilot
12.) The Zit
13.) On the Wagon...That is too funny when Graham catches Patty eavesdropping on Angela's call from Jordan.

That's about all. The rest are all about the same level for me. I loved them, just can't really say one was any better than the others.
This was a great question to post. Thanks Oldguy!

k-man