Celebration?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: My So-Called Life

Post by Jason R » Jul 10th 2002, 8:38 pm

I spoke with Columbia Tristar and asked about some shows. Their official answer was that they were "evaluating when and how to release their episodic tv series on DVD."

My guess is that they will wait until everyone has DVD burners and DVD follows the CD-->MP3 route. After all, this is the entertainment industry. If there is one thing they teach you in the entertainment industry it is to "never underestimate the stupidity of the entertainment industry."
FairyChica78@cs.com wrote:Hey all! :)

I can't wait to receive this DVD set. It'll be worth the wait since finally after 8 years almost, my VHS tapes from the ABC days are starting be worn out.

As for other shows, besides Freaks and Geeks, I would like to see the cult hit drama Young Americans hit DVD. It was too good that it only lasted 8 episodes, LOL. Fans of that show (including myself) have had a DVD campaign going on for 2 years now and I've e-mailed the people at Columbia-Tri-Star TV several times but of course, I never get a response! Well, I can keep trying. I mean, at least MSCL is finally hitting DVD.

somamoon
Three Rivers Resident

Post by somamoon » Jul 11th 2002, 12:26 am

Freaks and Geeks and Wonder Years!!!

Krakolano
Overlooked Sibling

...assumed marathon...

Post by Krakolano » Jul 11th 2002, 7:49 pm

actually, i don't think i'll be watching all nineteen episodes...not in order at least...what i will most likely end up doing is watching all the episodes that weren't released on video and then i'll probably watch the bonus disc, and if i have time, finish off with the rest of the episodes. AFTER i get to see those beloved lost episodes, THEN i will watch them all in order...i can't wait. hot damn.

ANGELAAAA.... :!:
"i don't believe in making plans...whatever happens... happens."

-- Krak

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

The Good Old Days

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 9th 2002, 7:28 am

Thought I'd bump up my oldest thread, in case it's relevant now. It's strange to get nostalgic over stuff that was written only months ago, but so much has happened since then.

Anyway, I'm now trying to decide between venues: my PC has theatre quality sound, but a comparatively small screen and crappy seating; my friends' TV DVD player has the bigger screen and plush seating, but only average sound. My friends Haven't seen much MSCL, which could good or bad. Good if they get hooked; bad if they make distracting small talk during the show. :roll:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Pedro
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Pedro » Nov 9th 2002, 7:51 am

G O L D E N G I R L S on dvd!!!

Jewel
Tino

Post by Jewel » Nov 9th 2002, 11:50 am

When everyone talks about what shows they want on DVD (and there have been many threads about this) no one ever brings up 21 Jumpstreet. Am I the only one that was obsessed with this show in 80s???

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 9th 2002, 1:06 pm

21 Jumpstreet is a good idea too. It's been so long since it has aired on tv in reruns that I can hardly remember it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 9th 2002, 11:52 pm

I totally remember the Valentine's Day episode when they were all playing Indian poker.

:D

What ever happened to Richard Grieco after his spinoff was cancelled? Well, besides dating Yasmin Bleeth. :wink:

Animeg
Tino

Re: Celebration?

Post by Animeg » Nov 10th 2002, 12:43 pm

[quote="foolishoptimist"]I second the motion for the Complete TWIN PEAKS.

I could also handle Freaks and Geeks which came in just under MSCL, getting cancelled with only 18 episodes.
What is it about good TV, that destines it for an early grave?
I can only recall BLADE RUNNER. "The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long."

Freaks and Geeks, pleeeease!

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Nov 11th 2002, 12:35 pm

I'll be up to watching
Roswell
Dark Angel
The Tribe [shut up im addicted to that crazy show]
and The Wonder Years
all on box set DVD's hehehehe

arnesbarnes
Tino

Post by arnesbarnes » Nov 11th 2002, 1:17 pm

Re: Twin Peaks - the season one boxset just released in the UK includes the pilot. I'm not sure why that is. Seems to have some additional extras as well. Amazing - for once, we region 2s get a better deal! :D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 11th 2002, 1:24 pm

arnesbarnes wrote:Re: Twin Peaks - the season one boxset just released in the UK includes the pilot. I'm not sure why that is. Seems to have some additional extras as well. Amazing - for once, we region 2s get a better deal! :D
R2s get a better deal a lot of the time.

As far as the TP pilot i am pretty sure the european rights for the pilot and the series were owned by the same people so that it was possible to release them together. Unlike here.

As far as R2 goes, you guys have the Futurama season 1 and 2 (comes out tomorrow) we dont even have a release of that at all in R1. You have the silent classic Pandora's Box, no dvd release of that here. The Krays was released there but not here <sigh> that is why i had to get a region free player with PAL to NTSC conversion, not that im complaining it was well worth it :) .

I wont even go into the R2 anime releases, but some are light years better than R1. Though Australian ones are even better (R4).

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 11th 2002, 1:53 pm

fnordboy wrote: R2s get a better deal a lot of the time.
Uh, I tried to believe that too when the "Back To the Future" DVD Trilogy Boxset was released in R2 and R4 a few months before R1. I ordered that set from amazon.de just to find out a few days later that the upcoming R1 release (December 17th) will feature twice as much bonus stuff as compared to the R2/R4 releases. Argh!

Well, at least there is ebay to sell stuff like that :-)

George
Nicky Driscoll

Post by George » Nov 11th 2002, 3:45 pm

How about that show "Voyagers" Remember that one, about a guy and a kid traveling through time fixing problems. That show was awesome!! I would buy that box set, along with the Wonder Years!!!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 11th 2002, 5:49 pm

sab wrote:
fnordboy wrote: R2s get a better deal a lot of the time.
Uh, I tried to believe that too when the "Back To the Future" DVD Trilogy Boxset was released in R2 and R4 a few months before R1. I ordered that set from amazon.de just to find out a few days later that the upcoming R1 release (December 17th) will feature twice as much bonus stuff as compared to the R2/R4 releases. Argh!

Well, at least there is ebay to sell stuff like that :-)
Yeah maybe big Hollywood releases (though how 'hollywood' is BttF, really?) get a better R1 treatment. I usually shy away from those type of releases though. I know though that the majority of stuff i like was either not released here in R1 or released better in R2 or another region.

For instance Battle Royale, a brilliant Japanese live action film. Has never and probably will never be released R1, but R2 (UK) has just released the Special Edition of the film. Came with a film neg, 2 discs, Director's cut, a fair amount of extras and all housed in a tin can. Beautiful, one of my favs in my collection right now.

I am looking forward to the R1 of Back to the Future though, ive been waiting months for this release. :)