Waiting for Amazon

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Waiting for Amazon

Post by lance » Nov 10th 2002, 9:03 pm

Hello all,

For those of us waiting semi-patiently (Gimme! Gimme! I need, I need!) for our MSCL sets from Amazon we have heard all kinds of conflicting delivery dates: November 5, 8, 19th. Some feel at this forum that these dates are meaningless to Amazon orders in general, some feel that these automated dates are meaningless with regards to pre-orders.

So by way of experiment I have several DVDs on pre-order with Amazon and I wanted to see just how accurate these dates turn out to be. Something to pass the time while we wait for Amazon to deliver. The rest of you Amazon customers can play along at home and let others know how your orders are doing or not doing.

Okay here is what I have on order:

MSCL
Amazon release date 11/19, I ordered with two day shipping, Amazon said delivered to me by 11/8, result- not here yet.

South Park: Season One
Amazon release date 11/12, I ordered with standard shipping, Amazon said delivered to me by 11/15, result- still waiting.

Babylon 5: Season One
Amazon release date 11/5, I ordered with two day shipping, Amazon said delivered to me by 11/16, result- Yes! I received it yesterday, Saturday 11/9. I am now busy ironing and watching Babylon 5, go Narns!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Three
Amazon release date 1/7/03, I ordered with two day shipping, Amazon said delivered to me by 1/9/03, result-still waiting.

All the best,

Lance Man

:D

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 10th 2002, 9:25 pm

With the amazon ship dates. I had ordered, and it said it would be shipping on the 10th. I had chosen free delivery.

Just on a lark, I decided it was probably worth the $3 to upgrade the shipping, so I did so, and that changed the shipping date to the 20th. They probably just don't update the shipping date unless the customer changes something, otherwise the order goes by what the shipping was thought to be when the order was placed.

So I then changed it to 2 day, and 1 day shipping. 2 day actually ships later than standard (by a day or two) so it would actually get to me on the same day either way.

So it seems as though they ship the types of deliveries on different days, and thats why there's such a discrepency.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 10th 2002, 9:36 pm

Yo Lancey! :lol: Sorry if my tweaking of the name irks you, mean no harm - just wanted to add that I too was curious about the Amazon state of affairs and here is what I found out by calling today:

On my order form (in my acct) it says that DVDs will ship 11/10 - TODAY - and I should receive them by 11/12. When I called, I asked for ACTUAL eta, since clearly they were NOT sent today, and I was given 11/19. I then asked if there was ANOTHER date after that, considering MY eta date was wrong. I got an emphatic NO. They WILL be shipped on or before 11/19. That is the latest date so far. Service rep said there were a few typos on the order forms re delivery dates, etc. I'm fairly comfortable with this because: I WILL NOT BE CHARGED TIL PRODUCT SHIPS. Also, what's a typo or two given the huge amount of bullshit we've all dealt with at AU?? At least I got a normal human on the line and a reasonable response.

Now if I find that the dvds ship AFTER 11/19, well....all my faith in humanity will be blown, that's all. No big. :cry: :lol:

Do I have gullible moron written on my forehead? :roll:

Sigh...
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 10th 2002, 10:15 pm

Where did you find Amazon.com's number? I've sorta been looking for ages, and I cant find it anywhere. It sure would help when I get a package that is crushed 4 inches shorter than I should be from them. :(
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

episapia
Overlooked Sibling

Post by episapia » Nov 10th 2002, 10:17 pm

So if you're shipping estimate is November 10th, than the set will actually be delivered on the 19th, or shipped on the 19th?

Jessica Popsicles
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Jessica Popsicles » Nov 10th 2002, 10:30 pm

How it works is they will ship to you so you can get it on the release date in most cases.

At least that is what has happened to me in the past with previous orders. I think that is why people that have shipping lower than 2 day shipping have weird dates like the 10th, etc.

The release date for the set from Ventura is the 19th of November. I would really not expect the set much sooner from anywhere, if you get it sooner it was probably only an attempt for you to have it on the release date. Amazon is the only place who had the 05th as a date and it changed to the 19th like everywhere else after a few days. Like someone else said and I said like a week ago, I think that your shipping date doesn't get updated unless you change something about your order. I've had this happen a lot with Amazon so it seems like that might be what it is.
+it can't be all that hard if you can sum it up in a postcard.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Nov 10th 2002, 10:36 pm

episapia wrote:So if you're shipping estimate is November 10th, than the set will actually be delivered on the 19th, or shipped on the 19th?
I think we've been over this in some detail already. The release date is the 19th, despite whatever erroneous dates Amazon reports. Amazon tends to ship preorders so they arrive on or near the release date. So Amazon orders should start arriving in the next couple of weeks. I know the whole AU thing has a lot of people edgy, but seriously, I've never seen such a bunch of nervous, insecure people in my life...

(FWIW, I'm waiting on a set from AU, for which I haven't received any e-mail, a $115 refund from AU, and a set from Amazon. At this point, the best thing I can do is be patient and see what happens. Calling and e-mailing 10 times a day at this point seems kind of pointless. If I don't get my orders, then I'll start bugging them again. After the initial wave of orders go out, I'll start back on my crusade for a refund. But for now, all this freaking out isn't accomplishing ANYTHING.)

JRjr

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 10th 2002, 11:18 pm

Andrew - Amazon's phone # is: 1-800-201-7575.

Sincerely,

A skeptical, twice burned and VERY WARY customer, vap :roll:
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

episapia
Overlooked Sibling

Post by episapia » Nov 11th 2002, 12:48 am

I've ordered from amazon so many times, and I've recieved packages before I even got the shipping confirmation! So I figure they could end up in my mailbox anywhere from tomorrow - 2 weeks from now.

episapia
Overlooked Sibling

Post by episapia » Nov 11th 2002, 12:48 am

Sorry about the double post! ~Eve

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

GOT MY DVDS!

Post by lance » Nov 23rd 2002, 11:44 pm

Ricky Love wrote:Andrew - Amazon's phone # is: 1-800-201-7575.

Sincerely,

A skeptical, twice burned and VERY WARY customer, vap :roll:
Hey all,

I needed to bring back this thread one last time to announce: I GOT MY DVDS! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

As of Thursday my buddy Michael and I were extremely frustrated "Waiting for Amazon" then I remembered this thread and that the amazing, spectaculare Ricky Love had Amazon's 1-800 number. Using MSCL.com's advanced searching technology I was able to find the thread. I called them up.

They said one box shipped at 9:00 am EST the other at 5:36 EST. Both of them apparently arrived yesterday afternoon. Michael that rat :wink: didn't tell me until today when I was at work that: THEY ARE HERE!

So after a looong day of "working for the man" I came home, drove to his (Michael's not the Man's) house and they were in all their slipcase glory. I rushed home and tried out each DVD to make certain that they were real. Wouldn't you know but they were. Right now people, I am tired but happy.

Peace and many blessings, may those of you still waiting for sets not wait much longer,

Lance Man 8)