R.I.P Dr. Smith

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
K-man
Liberty High Graduate

R.I.P Dr. Smith

Post by K-man » Nov 5th 2002, 4:29 pm

Just hapened to catch in the news today that Jonathan Harris aka Dr. Zachary Smith died. With all the posts about our favorite TV shows lately I was wondering if anyone else loved Lost In Space???? I used to watch it in re-runs every night in like the early 70's and I don't know if it ever airs anymore. I read an article once that said the show was so low budget that they couldn't afford props for the ep's. so at night the stagehands would sneak on to the Star Trek lot and raid their dumpster and steal old Trek props for use on L.I.S. When they couldn't steal anything useful they would improvise and use things like spaghetti strainers for hostile enemy ships. :) The whole premise for certain episodes was an Earth family getting chased around the universe by a spaghetti strainer! What a show!!!! ;)
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 7th 2002, 11:44 pm

i just caught that news tonight.

You must be in the USA - because they showed all of LIS over here in the UK only a few years ago. Made Sunday mornings bearable.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 8th 2002, 3:27 am

I LOVED Lost in Space!! My summer schedule was Richard Simmons (my mom did it while my sister and I stood behind her mimicking her movements in a mocking manner) and then Lost in Space. I especially loved the episode when Penny was a princess on some planet. This is bias due to the fact that I got to be Penny whenever we played Lost in Space out in the backyard.

:D

Although it's funny to think about LIS stealing ST props, there isn't a huge difference in the technology/special effects used on either show. Then again, I was raised on Star Wars.

I did always love when there was an asteroid field - all the exaggerated shaking.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

You Bumbling Bubble-Headed Bucket Of Bolts!

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 8th 2002, 5:01 am

I once saw a stand-up comic do an impression of The Robot, which involved tangling his arms in his sleeves. He'd putter around stage like he was rolling on treads then suddenly stop, wait, and...

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! My hooks are flailing wildly!

Uh, well, ya kinda had to be there, but it was surprisingly impressive...
Although it's funny to think about LIS stealing ST props, there isn't a huge difference in the technology/special effects used on either show.
Even ST:TNG once had to borrow some old boots from one of the Planet Of The Apes sequals to outfit some Klingon extras.

Get your paws off me, you damn dirty Duras!
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 8th 2002, 5:07 am

candygirl wrote:I did always love when there was an asteroid field - all the exaggerated shaking.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I think the LIS troupe graduated from the same school of hammy acting that taught the cast of Star Trek. But I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain