OT: What other shows... on DVD

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2002, 4:41 pm

Wow, that is a great list!!! I was just watching one of those "Where Are They Now" specials on VH1 last night and one of the people the featured was Andy from Family Ties and I thought damn, that would be a great who to have!

I have already cast my vote for Animaniacs, but Flash Forward! Wooo! When I saw the promos for Firefly, I started pointing and yelling at the tv "That's Becca!"

Same thing with Ben Foster when I saw the trailers for "Get Over It."

I think I watch too much TV.

Perfect Strangers - the dance of joy!

:D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: OT: What other shows... on DVD

Post by fnordboy » Oct 24th 2002, 10:51 am

candygirl wrote:Kids, Inc. back when Martika and the kids from Wild Orchid were still on the show. Not to mention Mario Lopez dancing his little heart out. And Jennifer Love Hewitt (although the later seasons were definitely not as good as the first three).

*ducks*
I too was a big fan of that show in my youth. I actually still have one of the 'soundtracks' or whatever on vinyl.

K! I! D! S! kids incorporated!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

my list:

Post by fnordboy » Oct 24th 2002, 11:09 am

Well here are a few off the top of my head:

Invader Zim
Upright Citizens Brigade
Idiot Box
Strangers With Candy
Liquid Television
Dark Skies
Forever Knight
Get a Life (a full set)
The rest of the Larry Sanders show
The rest of Twin Peaks
Wild Palms (definitely needs a DVD release!)
Ren and Stimpy
Futurama (needs a region 1 release, though i own Season 1 already in region 2 :) )
2 point 4 Children (british sitcom)
Six Feet Under

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2002, 1:38 pm

Ren and Stimpy!! I loved the first season in an unhealthy way.

Want to see my magic nose garden?

:wink:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 25th 2002, 5:06 am

Though I consider myself a manly man in most respects, I must admit that I, too used to watch "Jem!" :oops:

Invader Zim is probably the best animated series to come along since Daria.

Ride the pig, GIR!!!
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 25th 2002, 7:12 am

I still miss "Now and Again". The old "Six Million Dollar Man" concept was rather hokey as a drama, but works fine as a comedy...
Michael Wiseman: Can I fly?
Dr. Theodore Morris: What?
Michael Wiseman: Can I fly? You know, like, uh, Superman?
Dr. Theodore Morris: Mr. Wiseman, over the past 6 months we've performed a complicated series of operations. I'm tempted to call them transplants, but in truth, there is no "you" to transplant them to. Let's call them operations. In fact, let's agree that you have been the recipient of some of the most sophisticated surgical thinking and practice in the history of medicine. In addition, you have been inoculated with and intravenously fed over 700 highly experimental and, I believe extraordinarily promising hormones, steroids and vaccines that also were developed uniquely for you in this project. Now I mention all that because, and I'm embarrassed to admit it, that in the midst of all those surgeries, all those implant procedures, all the beta trials, tests, failures and successes... it just never occurred to any of us to shove a rocket up your ass.
And, after only 22 episodes, this one is a candidate for the "MSCL Good Show Canceled Too Soon By Network Goons For No Readily Apparrent Reason Award". :?
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Oct 25th 2002, 10:08 am

My So-Called Life (hey it's not on DVD yet :p)
Punky Brewster
Highlander the Series
American Gothic
Party of Five
Jem
She-Ra
Young Riders
La Femme Nikita
Space: Above and Beyond
Earth 2
Ren & Stimpy
CatDog
Kindred: The Embraced
Dead at 21
The Maxx
Aeon Flux
The Whiz Kids

Just to name a few :)

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Oct 25th 2002, 10:10 am

Anonymous wrote:My So-Called Life (hey it's not on DVD yet :p)
Oops, bad me for not logging in. I am the above 'Guest'. :)
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 25th 2002, 3:36 pm

Anonymous wrote: ......Dead at 21
The Maxx
Aeon Flux
Aeon Flux is on DVD already: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... e&n=507846

i think you can still get it through http://www.rightstuf.com but their site is down right now so i cant tell you for sure.

Dead at 21 <shudder>

The Maxx definitely needs a DVD release...great show! Forgot about that one.[/url]

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Great Thread

Post by lance » Oct 26th 2002, 11:14 am

Hey all,

This my first venture off the angst ridden DVD forum.

This is a great thread. I too watched Jem, :oops: and her battle with the Misfits, mainly because my sister had managed to hide the remote.

Speaking of other 1980s experiences that require therapy, I don't know if any of you saw "The Bike Warrior". This was a public safety spot run in Ohio that showed some guy dressed like Mad Max from the Road Warrior giving Bike Safety tips. Seriously! He is all dressed up in the leather outfit riding down the street showing a 10 year old girl how to use different turn signal. How it was that the creators decided to use a character from an R rated movie to teach safety tips to kids is beyond me. The ad ended with, "Do you remember the Bike Warrior?" Unfortunately many of us still do.

Believe or not my mom would love to get Silk Stalkings on DVD. I am really hoping this is not a genetic thing...

Currently here is my top three show I would like to see on DVD:

1. EXO SQUAD-
Early 1990's cartoon ran for 53 episodes. Great fun, like Robotech before it was one of the few shows that actually showed main characters getting killed off. The put a few episodes on VHS but I would LOVE to get this on DVD. I did try to contact Universal which owns the rights to the series but I never could anyone to answer my calls and their voice mail never seemed to pick up. Given there treatment of Miami Vice fans I am not encouraged, any ideas guys?

2.HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET
This show just rocked. Filmed in Baltimore the show had it all: action, romance, angst, doubt, fear, humour and terrific character performances. The show ran for several seasons and I would love to get it all on DVD.

SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND
This was a good show that unfortuanely suffered because it was at the mercy of whatever Fox football game that happened to be on before it.

Anywho guys anybody else interested in these shows?

Lance Man

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 26th 2002, 4:17 pm

Exo-Squad was and is still one of my favorite cartoons. That's right, they did kill main characters. I always thought that was so cool since most other cartoons couldn't even say the word "dead." I used to have that entire series on VHS. I think I still might.

Other cartoons that need DVD releases:

Batman: The Animated Series (really slick animation for it's time and good stories; was as good as any live-action drama)

The Tick (Saturday morning FOX cartoon based on a comic was short-lived as it was in syndication on Comedy Central, but it's one of the funniest anythings I ever saw)

Dr. Katz (Dr. Katz was absolutely brilliant and NEEDS to be on DVD)

Oh, and I also used to watch Jem at 8:30 in the morning back when TV was worth watching in the morning.

And I still can't believe Six Feet Under is not on DVD yet.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 26th 2002, 10:13 pm

dtheater,

I agree with you on the Tick. I used to have that on VHS. I would love to get it on DVD.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 28th 2002, 5:09 am

dTheater wrote: Other cartoons that need DVD releases:

The Tick (Saturday morning FOX cartoon based on a comic was short-lived as it was in syndication on Comedy Central, but it's one of the funniest anythings I ever saw)

Dr. Katz (Dr. Katz was absolutely brilliant and NEEDS to be on DVD)

...And I still can't believe Six Feet Under is not on DVD yet.
The Tick shoudl definitely be put onto DVD. Brilliant show. And Dr. Katz was on of the best shows ever on tv, i would kill for a dvd set of that.

Yeah i don't get why Six Feet Under isnt on DVD yet. A lot of times i think this show surpasses The Sopranos, and I am a huge Sopranos fan. You would think with all the awards the show has gotten or has been nominated for would totally put it in line for a DVD release, but nothing as of yet :( .

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

TV shows that already are on DVD

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 2nd 2002, 4:16 pm

Muruch, after looking over your list, I thought I should let you know that Highlander: The Series' first season is available on DVD both from the Highlander store, http://www.highlander-official.com , as well as to retail (in just a week or two). It's actually cheaper retail than it is from the HL store, which I wish I would have known before buying from the HL store. Also, the Best of HL collection will be on DVD soon.

La Femme Nikita, for which I do a monthly online newsletter at http://www.savelfn.org/wordfromsection.htm , is reportedly in the works to be on DVD. First Team, the same group of fans who brought the show back for eight episodes in a short season five, are urging fans to e-mail and send post cards to Warner Home Video to remind WHV exactly what the LFN fans are looking for. You can find out more about that campaign at http://pub14.ezboard.com/fsavelfn69411t ... 4179.topic .

Kindred: The Embraced was first released as a video set and then on DVD. The only reason I know this is because a fellow fan was nice enough to give me his K:tE video set when he bought the DVD set. It's well worth picking up because it includes an episode that didn't air on Fox's initial run in the U.S.

A good source to check the availability of DVDs would be TVShowsOnDVD.com, http://www.tvshowsondvd.com , where you can not only vote for shows you'd like to see on DVD but where you can also see what is already on the market.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 3rd 2002, 2:33 am

Thanks, NIGHTJESSI. My friend is a big Highlander fan and had no idea those dvds were out. :D
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain