New Love

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Gigantic
Frozen Embryo

New Love

Post by Gigantic » May 11th 2001, 10:03 pm

Nothing could ever take MSCL’s place, but something that’s come close for me is Freaks & Geeks. I missed out on it when it was originally on the air, but I’ve been watching the reruns on Fox Family lately and they’re super good! I can’t get enough of it. Just my luck that it was cancelled too. Man. Why do they cancel all the good stuff??? So they can put on shite like Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Ugh. There’s absolutely nothing worth watching these days. Anyone care to back me up on F&G?

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Re: New Love

Post by Alee » May 15th 2001, 8:16 pm

I've only watched a few bits and pieces, but it seems pretty good...reminiscent of MSCL in ways.

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Post by adam » May 16th 2001, 10:39 am

hey don't mock buffy. but i know how you feel with all the crap they do keep on and all the good stuff they trash. but thank god for re-runs.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » May 16th 2001, 4:23 pm

Ok... I'm breathin again! But please, please, please don't knock Buffy. Joss (creator of Buffy) is one of the last of the quality writers left. Now I'll admit that its gone down hill a bit this season. But I think that has more to do with the fact that Joss liked the High School setting and has entered new territory with the post high school plot. He said in a recent interview that he's really lookin forward to doing the animated Buffy, cause it will let him get back to the high school plot line.

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

Gigantic
Frozen Embryo

Re: Buffy

Post by Gigantic » May 17th 2001, 11:33 am

No offense meant, to be honest- I've never even actually seen an episode of Buffy. I was just looking to angrily lash out at one of the hokey teen dramas. Maybe Buffy's a great show. Not my thing really, but I guess that doesn't give me the right to put it down. But I think you get my point about there not being much programming of true value or worth as of late...

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » May 17th 2001, 6:02 pm

Yeah I've watched quite a few of the Freaks and Geeks episodes and think it's a really good show. I was drawn to it the first time I saw it, maybe it is because of the MSCL likeliness of it. I saw part of it when it was originally on, but now I also have to watch it on Fox Family.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 2nd 2001, 3:52 pm

No offense taken, I do it all in humor :-) . I act like I take the buffy cuts hard cause everyone first impression of the show is "hokey teen drama". But thats not what it is. The writing is some of the best and most orginal I've seen since MSCL. Now the idea of a teenage cheerleader suddenly becoming a slayer of demon hell spawn does sound campy, but Joss (Creator and Writer) knows that and plays it out with a masterfulness not often seen in television dramas. And anyway isn't good fiction all about putting unlikely people in climactic situations.

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 12th 2001, 10:52 pm

I've caught parts of episodes of Freaks and Geeks this week on the fox family channel. it's very endearing. I love the the younger brother, he's so funny. so what is it that gets these shows cancelled? is it poor advertising? or is that the mainstream isn't into good writing right now? it really bothers me that such good shows get cancelled every year. ugh.

emmie

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Jul 4th 2001, 11:09 pm

Amen to that! Sorry. =) It's been a while since I've been here so I know I'm replying to a fairly antiquated message.

Buffy is my absolute favorite show! Joss Whedon is BRILLIANT and never ceases to amaze me with his willingness to NOT do what is expected. If you haven't seen the 4th season episode "Hush" then you haven't seen Buffy. Not that there aren't plenty of other great episodes, but that's one of my favorites. Also, 5th season "The Body" is amazing. So if anyone wants to discuss Buffy...you know where to find me. =)

Tracey

I mock you with my monkey pants

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 5th 2001, 2:03 am

Good to see a post with your name on it, Tracey! Welcome back!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 5th 2001, 3:00 am

I second that Tracey, Buffy is great!! I think both MSCL and Buffy have a lot in common. Joss writes amazing. "The Body" was one of the most moving television shows I have ever seen. both shows have 3D characters and plot lines. plus I love how both are so great at continuity. and where MSCL has the running joke of Tino, Buffy has Xander always falling for the demon girl and Giles always getting knocked out. but anyway, good to see old faces still around!!

emmie