Favorite Beatles song

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 18th 2002, 7:47 pm

pirategraham wrote:Yeah, Blaming Yoko for breaking up the Beatles is like blaming Claire Danes for the cancellation of MSCL.

"You can be my Yoko Ono"-Barenaked Ladies
Haha - great analogy! Well you know how everyone loves a scapegoat.

:D

SweetPea
Tino

Post by SweetPea » Oct 22nd 2002, 7:55 pm

It was a plot between Yoko and Linda. They had secret meetings dedicated to the destruction of the Beatles :lol: Anyway, here's my list (beacause Beatles songs are like potato chips...you can't eat just one. Wait...no...well, you know what I mean!)

(in no particular order)

Blackbird
Hey Jude
I'll Follow The Sun
Rocky Raccoon (just cuz)
This Boy
Lovely Rita
Something
Let It Be
She's Leaving Home
Do You Want To Know A Secret
Julia
In My Life
Revolution
I Will

Whew! I think that's it...for now. Does anyone have a favorite song from the solo projects?
People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if it is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not prevent people from committing murder, since this has also been done since the earliest of times.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 22nd 2002, 8:00 pm

Woman - John

Got My Mind Set on You - George

Silly Love Songs - Paul

:wink:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Oct 23rd 2002, 11:59 am

ok pirategraham I have to ask, your avatar:

Are we saying "I caught a mouse this big!" or "He shoots and scores!"? :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Oct 23rd 2002, 2:32 pm

mglenn wrote:ok pirategraham I have to ask, your avatar:

Are we saying "I caught a mouse this big!" or "He shoots and scores!"? :D
Well the kitty is a hockey fan and his all-time favorite player is Felix (the cat) Potvin. :D Although where I come from, it's one word....shootshescores!!!!
"The finish line is my happy place."

pirategraham
Jody Barsh

Post by pirategraham » Oct 23rd 2002, 2:41 pm

Ok, back on topic (on the off topic board, ha)....for solo projects, I have to go with Ringo. "Photograph" number one and "You're Sixteen" number two.
"The finish line is my happy place."

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Oct 28th 2002, 11:25 am

pirategraham wrote:My personal favorite is "Octopusses' Garden," but since I am The Pirate, "Yellow Submarine" may be more appropriate.

Aarg
I can remember hearing "Yellow Submarine" on the radio for the first time and being totally amazed that it was by the Beatles. Another great one from the "Revolver" album is "Tomorrow Never Knows".
http://www.smackbomb.com/beatles/song-t ... knows.html
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 8th 2002, 7:25 am

A tie between that immortal chord beginning "A Hard Day's Night" ... and what could be Brian Krakow's theme song:

The long and winding road
That leads to your door
You left me standing there
A long long time before
Don't leave me waiting there
Lead me to your door

I imagine Brian with his bike, "while my memory gently weeps."
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 8th 2002, 7:34 am

DECEMBER 8, 1980, 10:30 PM

{I posted this to the then "So-Called List" seven years ago, when the pain of the cancellation of "MSCL" seven months yet earlier was still raw. This time around, it's a bit early, but seeing the Beatles thread -- and our being near a brutal war -- makes it appropriate. I miss Lennon more since then. I miss "MSCL" more. I miss many of those on that lovely list, and I hope some have made it here over the years. --SR}

And so this is Xmas
And what have you done?
Another year over
And a new one just begun ...

Spirits crashed before the high altar of the communal color TV, in my living room at the Humanities College. This was 10:30 pm, the hour when the handful who weren't at the library were nursing a beer. But not tonight. Northwestern University has always barely maintained this dull dualism, in the best tradition of philosophy. Yet all philosophies were upset this evening.

This was more senseless than a dead politician. Everyone knew that politicians had bitter enemies. Who on earth would be the enemy of John Lennon?

No one could believe the flickering images from a century-old New York apartment building. It was as if ghosts had risen up to slay, not a person, but a voice. How do you slay such a voice?

A very merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear ...

Well, you don't, as the years had proved, and would come to prove. You get it stitched into your ears and heart. The best art does that.

I would hazard that some of us, who came about five to seven years too late for the utter height of Beatlemania, felt a unique shock that night. One comes to rely on some symbols, some art, some artists, as being always "there," part of the background of one's life.

To have such creators, or creations, suddenly removed ... well, that could be an even worse jolt, in some ways, than it is to many of those who've been their active followers and admirers. It was a strange anti-epiphany for me. My first thought was: "This isn't possible at Christmas." Oh, but it is.

And so happy Xmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear ones
The old and the young ...

So you may understand why I'd offer this for another community that knows something about art cut down in its prime. Some things end up enduring.

Angela knew the score, perhaps. "Seems like some people have to die young. Like it fits them, or something."

Happy Xmas, John, wherever you are. If you're in one of Heinlein's alternate universes where true art actually lives, stop in Three Rivers and say hello.

SR

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 17th 2002, 12:11 am

candygirl wrote:I'm not sure why people get so fuzzy with that "Yoko broke up the band" business - maybe someone cast a magic spell that made everyone forget that Paul was already off doing his own solo thing by then and George was off with Ravi Shankar getting mystical. Why doesn't anyone ever blame Linda?

:wink:

Besides, I think that having four members of a band each record their portions of the album separately is a pretty good indication that they're well on the road to breaking up.
Or as Patty said in "Father Figures" (which I just watched again tonight): So, it seems that the breakup of the Beatles had less to do with Yoko Ono, and more to do with the fact that Paul wanted Linda's father to be their new business manager. Why do you think people give her such a hard time, is it just because she can't sing?

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 17th 2002, 6:32 pm

Would have to be - She's Leaving Home (Sgt. Pepper's.)

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 17th 2002, 11:07 pm

Ok, I thought of one - 'Oh Girl....'

I was a 60s kid, hippie parents, you know the drill - I suppressed as much Beatle knowledge as possible, and yet....well. This one always sounded good to me. I probably know 'em all, and have been hovering around this thread just to see if one stuck out, when this one hit me.

So there. :)
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 17th 2002, 11:24 pm

Ricky Love wrote:...You're a massive WANKER!
So I take it they have shown Spaced in the USA? I wouldn't have thought it would have traveled well....

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Nov 18th 2002, 2:59 am

Well I'll be dipped! :shock: I've had that little quote up for quite a while, you're the first to comment. Sadly, no, to my knowledge they are not playing Spaced in this country - yet. I happened upon a tape of the second season from my fiance's ENGLISH co-worker. I LOVE THAT SHOW!! It's great! I personally think it would do great here, but hey...instead we get Ray Ramano :roll:
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Nov 20th 2002, 10:11 am

Spaced is without a doubt the finest Uk show in recent years - an available on (region 2) DVD with no hassle whatsoever!