American High

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

American High

Post by dTheater » May 7th 2001, 1:32 am

Anyone ever watch the documentary show American High? It was on FOX for like a day, and PBS recently picked it up. It's basically a video diary in the lives of a dozen or so high school students. The creator of the show said he was going for a "non-fiction version of My So-Called Life." I guess that's why I like it. of course there can never be such a thing as reality in front of the camera, but it's pretty interesting.

"Close your eyes, you can find all you need in your mind if you Take the Time" - Dream Theater

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Re: American High

Post by adam » May 9th 2001, 10:45 am

yeah i saw the show it was on three times or so. i thought it was good but not good enough i guess. i also liked the show get real which was written or created by the same people as MSCL. but the show only lasted a season which sucks because i was looking forward to new episodes.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » May 9th 2001, 10:43 pm

I watched Get Real a few times and thought it was pretty good, in the general scheme of things. But it kind of pissed me off, like when the girl decides to have sex with her boyfriend, all she says is like, "I've never felt closer to a person", and, this one really gets me, something like, "It was everything I wanted it to be." I mean it just seems like a really bad message to send to teens, besides the fact that it seems unrealistic.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 3rd 2001, 1:37 am

When I first stumbled across this show I thought it would be a must-see for me. I did watch it, but for some reason I never really liked it that much. Maybe there were too many characters and not enough episodes. Like we really never got to know any of them well enough. I think with the right people the idea could have been turned into a great show. I think though that it was a far cry from reality. That place was nothing like my high school.

k-man