Welcome to the new MSCL.com!

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Re: Welcome to the new MSCL.com!

Post by Brunkster » Jan 7th 2011, 12:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question but I'll give it a shot. I wanted to post it publicly rather than shoot sab a pm just in case others have been experiencing this.

A few times over the last week I have tried to log in but received a message informing me that I had maxed out my log in attempts and now needed to enter a captcha as well. The problem is that I haven't had any incorrect log in attempts. So either the system is being a bit screwy or someone is trying to hack into my account. Anyone else running into this?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 7th 2011, 2:23 pm

It looks like there are currently widespread hacker attacks on forums worldwide. Some automated bots try to take over user accounts by randomly entering passwords. The system requires the user to enter a CAPTCHA after 3 unsuccessful logins, that's where the hackers always stop. I'll have an eye on the server logs to see if it gets worse.

Just make sure you have a password which is difficult to guess (so no "password" or "sun" or "1234" etc) and your account should be safe.

Other affected forums can be found via Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=exceeded ... n+attempts

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Jan 7th 2011, 5:14 pm

Thanks, Sascha! I didn't really think anyone from here was trying to steal my account - why would they? I hope your 2011 is off to a great start!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 8th 2011, 6:25 am

I've encountered the same problem three times in the last two weeks too, Brunkster. It's kind of a glass half empty/half full dilemma. It's not just you, but not in a good way!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Jan 8th 2011, 11:00 am

This has happend to me last week also.