NEW: MSCL.com Picture Gallery BETA

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

NEW: MSCL.com Picture Gallery BETA

Post by Sascha » May 22nd 2003, 1:33 pm

I had this feature in mind for the next version of the MSCL.com website, but I think it may be useful now: A Picture Gallery. It will replace our old "images" section on MSCL.com over the next months.
The best thing is: Everyone can upload images - you just have to register. I hope to combine the forums user database and the gallery user database someday, but right now you have to register twice. (Please use your forum username when registering in the gallery to make it easier later to merge both databases).

I've been working with this software only for a few hours now and I'm still learning how it works. That's why I call it "beta" testing phase. I don't think that we'll delete the images after the testing phase is finished, but I can't gurantee that (Maybe we'll switch to a different software product if this doesn't work). I'm still in the process of trying to understand how the permission management works, but everyone who registers should be able to upload pictures everywhere.

Here's the address: http://www.mscl.com/gallery

Try it and tell me if it works...

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 22nd 2003, 2:19 pm

It's a little confusing at first, I have to admit, but it seems to be a very cool function. So technically if someone wants to use an avatar here they can just pop it up there and will be able to link from it there, correct?

I like this feature by the way, could be very interesting.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 22nd 2003, 2:28 pm

fnordboy wrote:So technically if someone wants to use an avatar here they can just pop it up there and will be able to link from it there, correct?
Exactly. It should also be easier (in some cases) to use images in your posts, like in the picture thread ( http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2457 ).

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » May 24th 2003, 3:46 am

hmm, very interesting, i'll have to check this out. it seems like a very awesome idea/thing though to be completely honest!
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 24th 2003, 6:13 am

Sascha,

I took a bunch of screencaps of Claire off of the Igby Goes Down DVD, is there anyway for me to upload directly to that folder. or do users only have access to the User Gallery?

If the latter, want me to zip them up and send you or ftp anywhere if you want to use?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 24th 2003, 7:33 am

fnordboy wrote:I took a bunch of screencaps of Claire off of the Igby Goes Down DVD, is there anyway for me to upload directly to that folder. or do users only have access to the User Gallery?
Igby-screenshots would be great, you should now be able to upload pictures into the "Igby"-Album. But it's probably a bit complicated to upload a larger number of pictures with the web form (you can upload only one image at a time).

But if you are running Windows XP, you might try the Web Publishing Wizard of Windows XP to automatically upload an entire folder or several images directly from your hard disk: http://www.mscl.com/gallery/xp_publish.php

Otherwise it's a bit difficult to upload a zip-file or multiple images - maybe Mike can setup an ftp account.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 24th 2003, 3:25 pm

sab wrote: But if you are running Windows XP, you might try the Web Publishing Wizard of Windows XP to automatically upload an entire folder or several images directly from your hard disk: http://www.mscl.com/gallery/xp_publish.php
Well the Windows XP Web Publishing Wizard works great except for some reason it will only let me access my own folder in the User Gallery. I even published one up to the Igby folder beforehand just to make sure that I did have access.

Any ideas? I could do them all by hand, but if I can get this working right it would be great.

This might be the problem:
In order to avoid that the gallery be flooded by pictures uploaded through the wizard, only the gallery admins and users that can have their own albums can use this feature.
That is from the page you posted above. If that is the limitation, than I will just do it by hand, no biggie.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 24th 2003, 3:58 pm

fnordboy wrote: Well the Windows XP Web Publishing Wizard works great except for some reason it will only let me access my own folder in the User Gallery.
Yeah, looks like the program is a little bit too careful with its rights management :-( Well, it's a new software, maybe it provides more finetuning options in the next releases.

Until then, just upload the images with the XP Wizard into your user album and I use my "admin powers" to move the images later to the "Igby" (or other) folder.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 25th 2003, 1:00 am

sab wrote:Until then, just upload the images with the XP Wizard into your user album and I use my "admin powers" to move the images later to the "Igby" (or other) folder.
Done :)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Gallery additions

Post by fnordboy » May 28th 2003, 2:04 am

Just to let it be known, I am going to do screen caps of Panic Room and Fight Club for the Jared Leto fans out there. If anyone has already done some, let me know in the next few days so I won't do it. If I do in fact have my copy of Requiem for a Dream I will do that as well (not sure if I have it since I lent it out and can't remember if I got it back, I will have to dig through my DVD collection to see).

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 28th 2003, 11:11 pm

I tried to upload a pic of me in My Gallery, but it loaded in Other.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 29th 2003, 6:08 am

Megs wrote: I tried to upload a pic of me in My Gallery, but it loaded in Other.
It looks like there is a bug in the program. I'll try to figure out what's
wrong.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 10th 2004, 10:23 pm

Sascha, I don't know if you are still keeping up on this, but I tried uploading one of my avatars (i have an avatar graveyard) and it wouldn't let me. Maybe Imagemagick isn't installed on the new server....

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 11th 2004, 6:41 am

Yeah, imagemagick is missing. I'll fix it as soon as possible. I don't have a good internet connection at the moment - so it could take a few days.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 12th 2004, 11:57 am

It's fixed.

I made a few important changes: The user database of the gallery is now based on the user database of the forum, which means: Everyone who is registered and logged in to the forum, should automatically be able to use the gallery. The old gallery logins do not longer work.

I also updated the gallery software alltogether, so there are a few new functions and tools.