Wanted: Bookmark Icon

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Wanted: Bookmark Icon

Post by mglenn » Dec 20th 2002, 10:56 am

Hey there fellow lifers! Your friendly neighborhood Project Manager here. For some reason, as of late, I've got an Icon fetish going on. So I'm sitting here wondering why it is that the bookmark icon for our site is still set to the default icon assigned to whatever browser you are using.

So here it is the offical call for icon submissions... I know many of you are artistically inclined and may have some time over the holidays. So either post them here or email them to comments@mscl.com.

I'll talk to Sacha and see if we can't do a voting section or something to choose the best if we get a whole bunch and of course we'll make a page to display all submissions. Maybe the beginnings of an MSCL theme pack :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Wanted: Bookmark Icon

Post by Sascha » Dec 20th 2002, 12:46 pm

mglenn wrote:So I'm sitting here wondering why it is that the bookmark icon for our site is still set to the default icon assigned to whatever browser you are using.
Actually, it shouldn't be the default icon. I added 2001 a so-called favicon.ico which should get displayed as bookmark icon on Internet Explorer browsers. Sometimes it works on my Mozilla too. I don't know why it doesn't work always.

Anyway, you can find it here: http://www.mscl.com/favicon.ico

Browsers like IE5+ should search automatically for an icon at that location if you add a new bookmark.

The current icon is a *very* small version of that famous "Garbo"-Shot of Angela. Looks pretty ugly in that tiny size, but it's even harder to put the MSCL logo in that small size. But I'm always open for new ideas. If someone has an idea, just post here.
Last edited by Sascha on Dec 20th 2002, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Dec 20th 2002, 12:54 pm

As usual Sascha is two steps ahead of me...(At Least!!) :oops:

The request still stands though as I'd like to see what you guys can come up with...maybe something XP'ish 8)

Cause choice is always a good thing!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 20th 2002, 3:11 pm

I made some changes to the code, now it works better with Mozilla :)

But it really needs a redesign. Maybe just a big "M"? Any ideas anyone?