Beware! MORE bootleg MSCL DVDs are showing up!

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Beware! MORE bootleg MSCL DVDs are showing up!

Post by Greybird » Oct 14th 2004, 7:15 am

Edit on 5 January 2005: More bootlegs are infesting eBay than ever. See latest post in this thread.

With the original five-DVD boxed set now going (brand new) for anywhere from US$100 to US$250 on eBay, the inevitable has happened: many sellers are listing bootleg copies. At least a half-dozen are now on line.

These copies probably will not have the (admittedly minimal) special features of the original BMG discs, such as 5.1 surround sound, subtitles, or (possibly) even chapter selection menus. Those features rarely transfer to such copies. Many of these "rips" for DVD movies have been in CD-R format, rather than any DVD recordable format.

They're usually said to be "just as good" as the originals, or are admitted to be placed in CD jewel boxes, not DVD plastic keep cases. (One gave the time-worn excuse of "falling off a truck," or in this case, "damaged freight." Yeah, right!) You won't get the keep-case artwork or outer box.

Some of the legit boxed sets still will go at eBay auction for less than US$100, especially if they're used or opened sets. Used non-rental-store DVDs are highly unlikely to have faults or sizable scratches. That choice is much less likely to burn you than if you buy a bootleg set of a questionable-quality -- and, yes, illegal -- transfer.

If that won't satisfy you, though, consider waiting another year (possibly two) for what some of us see as the inevitable Special Edition re-release from Buena Vista Home Entertainment.
Last edited by Greybird on Jan 5th 2005, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 30th 2004, 9:52 pm

Bootleg DVDs continue brisk sales on eBay, in light of the legitimate five-disk boxed sets that are now going for a minimum of US$150. (In the eBay Shops and on Amazon.com, those more established sellers are routinely asking $200 to $250, and some are paying it.)

I experimented with reporting four obvious bootleg listings for the set -- they mentioned that these were copies, or clearly noted "no original packaging" -- to eBay. Only two were removed today from sale. So you can't count on eBay's vigilance to protect you. The company relies on user reports, rarely goes out hunting such fraudulent items on its own, and isn't inclined to cut off its revenue -- seller fees -- very quickly.

If you are paying less than $75 or thereabouts these days, and you don't see photos of a used (opened) set, or you see multiple items for sale in a listing, you almost certainly are being offered bootleg copies. And you're going to be sorely disappointed if you bite on such bait.

Whatever else you do, at least check the past feedback ratings for anyone who sells an eBay item that interests you. Those burned by bootlegs have not been reluctant to say so, and most selling them are brazen enough to continue doing so.
Greybird of Starhaven

Juli
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Juli » Nov 30th 2004, 10:35 pm

I was looking on ebay for a boxed set and asked one seller about 5 times if it was a legitimate set and he skirted around the question every single time.

Don't be afraid to ask questions to the seller. If they're worth your time, they will be direct in answering your questions. I also noticed that the person I was buying from had sold previous copies of the set, so I just sent a little note along asking previous buyers of the set if they were in fact real and they all assured me that they were real and the seller was a great person to buy from.

It is a lot of money to pay for them, especially with how prices are now, so don't be afraid of emailing people to find out. If they want your sale and are honest people, they will do anything to make you rest easy about the legitimacy of the DVDs. I know the girl I bought from emailed me back when I had questions at least 5 times to ease my mind.

Don't let a bootlegger dupe you out of a huge chunk of change!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Nov 30th 2004, 10:57 pm

I wish I had legit DVDs to match up with the leftover lunchboxes. I could probably raise enough money to pay anyone who got overcharged.

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

It's still going on, folks

Post by Greybird » Jan 5th 2005, 12:06 pm

Check every seller's feedback comments before you consider buying!

This is the first and most important rule of using eBay. More bootlegs of the "MSCL" DVD set are being sold than ever before. Some of those who are burned will show their outrage with negative feedback. Unfortunately, not everyone is displeased at getting a pirated copy, even with their shortcomings ... but some are.

Use those comments as (literal) red flags. If even one comment notes a pirated copy, stay away from that seller!

It's sad to report that pirated-copy complaints to eBay, while sometimes helpful in removing one seller, don't stop the two new ones (or more) that come along to replace that seller.

A current rash of bootlegs is from one seller at US$90, under the fixed "Buy It Now" pricing. Complaints have been ineffectual thus far. If you see listings from this person, note that full-color keep case art inserts are shown -- they're color photocopies. And not one word about the discs being copies.

Many others are doing this, though. Currently, the lowest price for a legitimate set, even used, is US$150. New sets are rarely under US$200. Any set under US$100 is almost certainly a ripped bootleg -- count on it.

You'll want a genuine set. Don't look for disappointment. Check out any seller carefully.
Greybird of Starhaven

Teacher's Lunch
Tino

Finding a set

Post by Teacher's Lunch » Jan 6th 2005, 9:22 am

Hrm... I suppose I'm a late-comer to these forums, this is my first post.

(yep, loved the show in 1994, wrote letters to ABC in '95 and sent a dollar - someone's idea, don't remember who, and had at one time the original cassette of the unofficial soundtrack, as well as the ubiquitous 10-vhs-tape copies off of ABC/MTV)

Aaaanyway, forgot how it is that I stumbled onto this sight two days ago, but spent pretty much all of yesterday at work reading up on the goings-on here. Wow, what a mess (the AU thing) and what a wonderful community of folks. Nice to (sort-of) meet y'all.

Of course, all of this has piqued my interest in obtaining the DVD set. Currently there are 4 legitimate copies on eBay, and 9 or 10 bootlegs. The bootlegs are selling between $50-90 each, and the legitimate copies are fetching a pretty consistent $200+. There is one original, factory-sealed one available at Buy-Now for $250. Ugh. I came here looking to find if anyone had any advice on a different outlet for obtaining a legitimate set (used is okay, so long as it's not damaged too bad).

Seeing the multiple posts on piracy, as well as the relative difficulty in finding a new set, I'm thinking I might just as well put up the $250 and be done with it. But... *sigh* what a shame. It's sad that BMG couldn't have made more, sad that the sets are in such short supply with such high demand, sad that the prices have jumped so high, so fast.

I suppose. . . I could always drag out those old, worn-out but much loved VHS tapes again. ;)

Anyway, just another voice from the front-lines of johnny come latelys that are having miserable luck finding the DVDs. Congratulate yourself if you were able to pick up a set for under $100.

as far as the "Bonus DVD" and Lunchbox... LOL none for sale at the moment, at any price. Then again, now that I work at a Ford factory in Detroit, not sure I need to be carrying in a MSCL lunchbox to work everyday. ;)

EDIT to add: Heh. Just remembered about that dollar thing. It was to a shelter for run-away teens or something in the Boston area? I think? Wow, seems like a lifetime ago and can't remember all of the details. Blue-whale or something? *chuckle* They sent me cards asking for more money for the next couple of years, and I did actually send them a bit more later on. The last few years, I've been supporting a local charity for homeless teens instead, "Common Ground Sanctuary".

mightyspawn
Frozen Embryo

Post by mightyspawn » Jan 25th 2005, 9:41 am

I dont call this bootlegs anymore, these are illegal copies. it's just 1:1 copy from the DVD to some DVD recordables. They leave everythin intact, even the DVD menu's and these things are copyright, everything is.

Bootlegs are recordings from TV and then selled on internet. Which is also insane.

This is crime, and should be punished.

I dont mind if people download any kind of tv serie to watch again by themself (this serie is even released in the real scene late 2002)

But i hate those people who are trying to make any profit out of it. They should hang them on the highest tree.

Try bittorent, can't give any links im not allowed i think. I wanted to buy it, but if the studio's wont produce it any longer, and there are more bootlegs then originals on the market then it's not strange ppl are looking for alternative ways to get there fovourite show.

my 2 cents

Juli
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Juli » Jan 26th 2005, 10:11 pm

I managed to get my set a couple of months ago for $120 Canadian including shipping.

I admit that I made a copy of the set to send to my friend in the US but in no way did I make a profit out of it. I paid for the blank DVDs and shipping myself as it was part of a Christmas gift I sent. It was a personal copy for her own use and I decided to make a DVD copy for her instead of recording all of the episodes as the played on Family in VHS format.

I don't really like that people are taking advantage of the fact that there are not enough copies of the box set to go around to fulfill the demand. It's SO easy make a huge profit if you have a DVD burner and a set of MSCL DVDs like myself.

I'm not saying making copies and selling them on Ebay is at all an honest thing to do, but what irks me more is when people try to pass their set off as REAL by avoiding the questions about legitimacy. They are decieving buyers for their own financial gain and that's not right.

I don't agree with selling copies, PERIOD, but if someone is doing that and they let buyers know they are copies, at least then the buyers know what they're getting if they put a bid in on them. I hope that made some sense.

Obviously, I don't agree with selling copies because if I did, I would have been rich long ago ;)

ziggyf
Frozen Embryo

finding DVD's available or buying rental copies?

Post by ziggyf » Jan 27th 2005, 7:18 pm

If anyone is desperate for a copy, I have scoped almost every Borders, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, Blockbuster, K-mart, Sam Goody, etc. in the NYC/NJ area in the past 2 months with no luck each time I happened to drive by one or the other...some enterprising person has grabbed all the unsold copies as i saw a few this past summer...However there are at minimum 6 Manhattan video rental shops most notably Kim's Underground, renting the 5 DVD's individually with a 3-4 day rental...some stores said they would even consider selling these since they do not rent well ? ...I offer this as an alternate way to buy for the truly desperate

Last Point: I seem to recall when MTV re-broadcast these episodes 10 years ago, they were offering "extras"...since I have taped these shows to high quality S-VHS, are they worth keeping even if owning the DVD boxset ??

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Almost no real "extras" exist

Post by Greybird » Feb 4th 2005, 7:39 am

ziggyf wrote:I seem to recall when MTV re-broadcast these episodes 10 years ago, they were offering "extras"...
Only two types of "extras" exist to accompany broadcasts or cablecasts. (Apart from some outtakes that apparently ended up on the cable channel Trio's "Brilliant, But Canceled" series about prematurely killed-off shows.)

For several episodes of the first MTV re-runs in April 1995 (two full showings before the final cancellation announcement on 15 May), the actors playing the high-school characters recorded live intros in the MTV studios. Claire Danes and others spoke for under a minute in quiet tones about the show and what it meant to them, asking inlookers to "watch our show," but making no direct reference themselves to the Operation "Life" Support fan-sparked effort to secure its renewal. (The OLS e-mail address was featured after one of these intros, though.)

Before this, for the ABC broadcast run, each of the principal players recorded voiceovers that alternated on the first of the mid-show commercial-break "bumpers." Danes's was "Don't go away. ABC's 'My So-Called Life' isn't over yet." (Used on the final episode. I wish.) The second bumper, preceding the third act, had five seconds of Snuffy Walden's music.

Another such bumper appeared after the last act but before the scenes-from-next-week and end credits, without voiceover -- except on the 18th episode ("Weekend"), where Tom Irwin said, "Stay tuned for scenes from the season finale of 'My So-Called Life.'" All of these bumpers used the same static shot of a back-lit Liberty High hallway.

Not much there, unless you saw the initial ABC run (or have a copy of Steve Joyner's illicit dupes, made for OLS, in your collection, which include these bumpers), or saw the first MTV run. Nothing else exists in the sense of "extras," or didn't until the "My So-Called Bonus DVD" interview and tour were pried out of the hands of Another Universe.
Greybird of Starhaven