obtaining the dvds as of nowadays- late 2004

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Cora
Frozen Embryo

obtaining the dvds as of nowadays- late 2004

Post by Cora » Aug 14th 2004, 5:01 pm

Hi everyone! This is my very first post- I've been coming to this site for over a year now, but finally registered just today. Anyway, I had been referring to this dvd section of the forum a lot in recent months, as I finally ordered the dvds in early July of 2004. I noticed that most of the posts are from two years ago, when the dvd had just come out, so I wanted to add some up-to-date observations.

First of all, some background info. I fell in love with MSCL when it first aired on ABC in 1994. I was 12, and it was the first show I ever "got into". (Well ok... I was a "full house" lover in my "younger days", I'll admit it :P ) Anyway, I then watched and taped every episode when they aired on MTV, and then found a few vhs tapes of certain eps at the public library about a year ago. Which brings me up to this summer, when I discovered MSCL on the Noggin channel! I was beyond excited- many of the episodes I hadn't seen since '95, and it was so cool to relive them again. I then decided that I HAD to own the dvds... I needed my MSCL with no more idiotic commercials!

Which brings me to my post topic. I was wondering if other people feel the same way as me-- that it is definitely getting harder to buy the dvds. I started off by typing "My so-called life dvd" into search engines online and seeing what would come up. What I found was that the only website that was offering them anymore was Amazon. All other websites listed the dvds as "out of stock". I then went to Ebay, where many people were selling them, but it seemed too hard to bother bidding when there were already 48 bids on each set, and the prices were up to $85 plus $13 for shipping! (sidenote- why can people charge so much for shipping on ebay??) I didn't even bother looking in actual stores, like best buy, because I figured they wouldn't have the dvds at this point, 2 years after they'd come out.

So I settled on Amazon, where I was going to pay about $70 in all, which I decided was the best I could do. I placed my order on July 10, and was given a delivery estimate of July 19-Aug 2, which I thought was pretty gross. Still, I was ok with it. However, it was then July 23 when I got an email from Amazon saying they were having trouble obtaining the dvds, and that I now might not receive them until late september! I decided to check Ebay one more time, where I actually found a seller who was doing a "buy it now" with her (used) MSCL dvds for $75. I snapped that up, got her to only charge me about $2 for shipping, and canceled my Amazon order. And that's how I finally found a copy of the set!

So i received them last week and it was such a shock to finally have them in my possession after wanting them for so long! (Of course I know what I went through was NOTHING compared to the ppl who bought them from AU) They are in excellent condition even though they are used, and I love seeing them displayed with all my other dvds. I could observe more about them, but that should probably be put on another post. So thanks for reading this, and thanks for such a great website-- I can spend HOURS here!

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Aug 22nd 2004, 5:42 pm

I too ordered the DVD set on Amazon. I ordered it on July 23, and it was scheduled to ship between August 2 -11 for delivery between August 6 - 18. Well, August 12th came along, and Amazon notified me that they were having trouble obtaining the title and delayed the estimate to September 14 - 30, but they will still try to get the title and ship it beforehand. So I went on vacation for a week, came back... oh, about an hour ago, and still nothing. Now I'm considering getting one from the Amazon Marketplace for 10 bucks more. Theres not many TV shows on DVD that I would actually consider paying about $80 for (actually, the day before I ordered the set on Amazon, I considered paying the retail price of $90, but the store that told me they had it 3 days earlier had sold it one day earlier...).
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 8th 2004, 9:09 pm

Presently looking myself. Most likley will end up using E-Bay. So if anyone knows some respectable sellers please let me know.

~never used e-bay before. :(

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 9th 2004, 12:53 am

whitespy12 wrote:I too ordered the DVD set on Amazon. I ordered it on July 23, and it was scheduled to ship between August 2 -11 for delivery between August 6 - 18. Well, August 12th came along, and Amazon notified me that they were having trouble obtaining the title and delayed the estimate to September 14 - 30, but they will still try to get the title and ship it beforehand. So I went on vacation for a week, came back... oh, about an hour ago, and still nothing. Now I'm considering getting one from the Amazon Marketplace for 10 bucks more. Theres not many TV shows on DVD that I would actually consider paying about $80 for (actually, the day before I ordered the set on Amazon, I considered paying the retail price of $90, but the store that told me they had it 3 days earlier had sold it one day earlier...).
Sascha posted in another thread three Canadia e-tailers that still have the set in stock:
Sascha wrote:It's currently still available at some canadian online retailers (US based retailers are mostly out of stock) like http://northamericandvd.com/ for CA$ 75.59 / US$ 55.99 (+shipping) and http://www.dvdsoon.com for CA$ 94 / US$ 72 (incl. shipping worldwide) and http://www.dvdboxoffice.com for CA$122 (incl. shipping worldwide) and on ebay.com
I have personally ordered other titles from North American DVD a few years ago and never had problems with them so they might be your best bet.

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 9th 2004, 4:19 pm

Any idea how long ago she posted that? Just wonder if they might still be in stock.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 9th 2004, 4:29 pm

Hollywood wrote:Any idea how long ago she posted that? Just wonder if they might still be in stock.
Sascha is a he and he posted it a few days ago, on Sep. 3rd in this thread.

If you check on the sites and they say they have it just send them an email and see if they still have them in stock.

I have also seen the set fairly recently in some of the Best Buys near me, so you might want to look in some brick & mortar stores in your area. Generally I find stores like Coconuts and Suncoast have more OOP DVDs since they are usually a higher price there.

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 9th 2004, 5:26 pm

~~~~~~~Sorry for the double post~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just made the purchase from http://northamericandvd.com.

I couldn't tell if it was in stock or not but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.
The company is based out of Toronto where I also live. Any problems and their door is a 10 min drive away. I'v read too many horror stories on here to really be confident with my purchase.
Thanks for the help.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 9th 2004, 5:59 pm

fnordboy wrote:
Hollywood wrote:Any idea how long ago she posted that? Just wonder if they might still be in stock.
Sascha is a he
Damn, I knew I shouldn't have changed my avatar ;-)
If you check on the sites and they say they have it just send them an email and see if they still have them in stock.
I didn't check whether they really still have the items in stock, I just checked their websites - my experience in the past years was: As long as the online stores list the items, they probably still have them in stock. If not, they either remove the item from their website or add a note like "on order". Due to the airing on "The N" earlier this year, most US based online retailers are out of stock. The airing on "Family Channel Canada" will probably have the same effect on the stocks of canadian retailers. I guess there won't be many boxes left until christmas. Only the merchants on ebay don't to seem run out of stock...

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 11th 2004, 1:16 pm

Amazon.com is really getting on my nerves! Just yesterday, I checked back to see if the DVDs had shipped, since it was within the days of the shipping estimate, and I noticed Amazon.com had just that day listed the set as "Out of Stock". At first I was pretty worried, but then I figured that maybe, since I was within the shipping estimate, that they had gathered the very last of their stock and might ship it out to me within the following day or 2. Well, I checked back today, and the shipping estimate has been changed... to November 10th (for delivery on November 12th). The strange thing is, usually their estimates are about a week, but this time they're estimating exactly November 10th (with delivery exactly on November 12th). It seems like they have a lot of confidence in this estimate... but why would it take 2 months after it's listed as "Out of Stock" to ship? And if it does ship on November 10th, which knowing Amazon is probaably false, I would have waited for 4 months to receive this item from Amazon... thats pretty messed up. I'm considering cancelling and going with northamericandvd.com. Hollywood, if and when you receive your dvd's, could you post here?
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 11th 2004, 1:29 pm

whitespy12 wrote: It seems like they have a lot of confidence in this estimate... but why would it take 2 months after it's listed as "Out of Stock" to ship? And if it does ship on November 10th, which knowing Amazon is probaably false, I would have waited for 4 months to receive this item from Amazon... thats pretty messed up.
Try contacting amazon.com (via the contact forms on their website) and ask whether this shipping date is really correct. Amazon is known for pushing shipping dates back and back even though they're already out of stock - there's probably not even a human involved in calculating these shipping estimates. But if you email them, an actual person will take a look at your order and check for irregularities.

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 11th 2004, 6:07 pm

Just got a e-mail from http://northamericandvd.com and they said it has recently became unavailable!

This was a personal e-mail reply that I had sent but i have not got an offical reply from them yet. :(

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 12th 2004, 12:20 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:Try contacting amazon.com (via the contact forms on their website) and ask whether this shipping date is really correct. Amazon is known for pushing shipping dates back and back even though they're already out of stock - there's probably not even a human involved in calculating these shipping estimates. But if you email them, an actual person will take a look at your order and check for irregularities.
After reading your post, I immediately took your suggestion and contacted Amazon.com. I just received a response (In what seems like record time).
Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I have checked our records and see that, due to a delay on our end,
the estimated shipping and delivery dates for your order were
revised after you placed your order.

To compensate for this delay, I have upgraded your shipping for this
order to 2nd Day Domestic at no additional charge to you. We expect
to deliver it by November 10 to November 12, 2004. We will send you
an e-mail at the time of shipment confirming the date, contents, and
method of your shipment.

Please note that you can always check the status of your order by
clicking the Your Account link at the top of most pages of our store
or by following this link:

http://www.amazon.com/your-account

However, if you do need to contact us regarding this, please send us
an e-mail via this online form:

http://www.amazon.com/contact-us

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this delay has
caused. We value your business and hope that we will see you again
soon at Amazon.com.
That's a relief.... I think....
Hollywood wrote:Just got a e-mail from http://northamericandvd.com and they said it has recently became unavailable!

This was a personal e-mail reply that I had sent but i have not got an offical reply from them yet.
:( indeed. It seems like all that's left are eBay and Amazon Marketplace...

Cora
Frozen Embryo

Post by Cora » Sep 12th 2004, 9:27 am

So I guess it wasn't just me, everyone is now having problems getting the dvds. I guess I recommend Ebay as the place to buy them, if you are really serious about owning them, since it'll be pretty expensive! I haven't checked lately to see what's available, but in the recent past, there were always a lot of sets... it's just that you'd have to get lucky, and beat out all the other people bidding on the auction. I was lucky to find someone who was selling theirs as a "buy it now".... I say if you see any buy it nows that sound good, snatch them up!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 12th 2004, 5:06 pm

There are over 30 sets of the MSCL DVD on ebay right now. There are several Buy It Now options for $89.99 (which is less than many of us paid for the set back in 2002). Good luck!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 13th 2004, 4:22 pm

Well, I can see that Amazon Customer Service Rep really knew what she was talking about :? .... my order has been cancelled. I've been patient with them for 2 months, and they just cancel it. So I figured I'd check out the Amazon Marketplace, since I saw a new one there for $80 a day ago... well not anymore. I guess everyone else who had their order cancelled the same day hurried and and got it off the Amazon Marketplace.. now the cheapest they have is about $100 bucks for a "new" one.... ::sigh::.