obtaining the dvds as of nowadays- late 2004

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 14th 2004, 6:04 pm

Lots to pick from on ebay. This one guy, "dvdvideovalues", usually has 4-5 new Disc Boxed-Sets for sale at any one time. Each day he seems to add a couple more.

Must of stole a whole trailer full. :)

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Sep 15th 2004, 6:09 pm

Looking at a buy now for $88.95 US, (Approximately Canadian $115.06).

Everything thing seems to be selling at about 100 US. Doesn't make sense.

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 17th 2004, 5:03 pm

This is a little off topic, but I found it pretty strange. I've been checking back at Amazon.com pretty much everyday to see if anyone's selling the set on the Amazon Marketplace for a reasonable price. Everytime I'd type "My So-Called Life" into the Search box, and I would choose "DVD" as the format. When it search page loads, its displays the Complete Series Box Set and the single DVD (Pilot/Dancing in the Dark/Guns and Gossip). For a while, next to both of them, it said "Out of Stock". Well today, I checked back, and while the Box Set is still out of stock, the single DVD is in stock. Amazon must have somehow found an old shipment or something, because now Amazon is selling the single DVD for $13.49 and it "usually ships in 2 to 3 days". I don't know if anyone will really care, since the Box Set obviously overshadows this release, but I just found it weird that something thats been out of stock for so long is back in stock. Hopefully something like this will happen with the Complete Series Box Set too, hmmm? Yeah, its probably just wishful thinking....
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Sep 17th 2004, 11:21 pm

Related question--are the menus and/or sound/picture quality any better on the single release?

E

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 18th 2004, 4:08 am

I'm not an A/V expert, but I do have both the older single and the newer set. I don't notice much difference between them. The single might have some value to collectors, due to its obscurity, but that's about it.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Illyria
Tino

Post by Illyria » Sep 19th 2004, 11:42 pm

Try http://www.dvdsoon.com
They might still have the dvd in stock, at least they did a few weeks ago.
I ordered it from them late August and about two weeks later I had my box :)

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 23rd 2004, 9:33 pm

This is weird... if u look up in my last post, you'll see that Amazon.com had sold the single DVD again for about a week, but is now out of stock again. At the end of my post, I stated how I hoped that the same thing would happen with the Complete Series Box Set, but figured that was just wishful thinking... well, it's happened! The box set is again on sell at Amazon for $80.99, with the always reassuring "Usually Ships in 24 Hours" avalibility status. So if you're still in need of the DVD set, and don't wanna pay astronomical prices (as soon as Amazon listed the item as "Out of Stock" a few weeks ago, the prices of the new & used sets in the Amazon Marketplace had skyrocketed to up to $250), hurry up and order before it's "out of stock" again.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 24th 2004, 2:29 pm

Ok, not only does Amazon have the set back in stock, but my local movie store, "Coconuts" (in which I've looked and asked employees if they had the set several times) had 2 copies. So, I *finally* purchased the set there... yes, it's 10 bucks more than on Amazon, but nothing beats finding something you've been anxiously looking for for months. So, is this an amazing coincidence, or is it something else... like the set being once again in print?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 24th 2004, 4:34 pm

whitespy12 wrote:So, is this an amazing coincidence, or is it something else... like the set being once again in print?
The set is no longer being manufactured. IIRC, there was one run way back in 2002 and the rights have expired. The sets were shipped to stores where they weren't really promoted. Every store where I saw the set, it was on the bottom shelf. Once the stores sold what they had in stock, that was it - no re-ordering. What is most likely the case at Coconuts is that they found another set buried somewhere - in the stockroom, on the floor behind something else, etc. Thank your lucky stars that you found a copy!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 24th 2004, 10:36 pm

candygirl wrote:What is most likely the case at Coconuts is that they found another set buried somewhere - in the stockroom, on the floor behind something else, etc. Thank your lucky stars that you found a copy!
Yeah, thats probably what happened. Anyway, I'm so very happy with the DVD set... when I popped in the volume 1 disc, and saw the main screen with the watercoler-esque background, the awesome pic of Angela in the corner, the nicely shaded MSCL Logo, the Pilot's infamous 'lit up street at night' scene playing behind the text, and the Pilot's ending theme looping in the background, and practically went nuts.

And by the way, Amazon has already stopped selling the set again.. after only 2 days.