Will Buena Vista do their own release?

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
Richie
Tino

Will Buena Vista do their own release?

Post by Richie » Nov 17th 2002, 8:23 pm

Just curious.

Buena Vista get the masters back in April. They have started to release dvd sets of other TV shows. Might they do their own MSCL release? Is there anything to prevent them from doing so?

With all the talk this current release has generated people in the biz must know what's been going on? And seeing as how every dead tv show is finding new life on dvd, will BV think to cash in on this one again?

cheers
Richie

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: Will Buena Vista do their own release?

Post by Jason R » Nov 17th 2002, 9:29 pm

Possibly. Depends on how many BMG sells, but also depends on how well titles such as Once And Again will perform (my guess is that they will do pretty well).
Richie wrote:Just curious.

Buena Vista get the masters back in April. They have started to release dvd sets of other TV shows. Might they do their own MSCL release? Is there anything to prevent them from doing so?

With all the talk this current release has generated people in the biz must know what's been going on? And seeing as how every dead tv show is finding new life on dvd, will BV think to cash in on this one again?

cheers
Richie

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 17th 2002, 11:26 pm

amazon.com sales ranks as of 11/17:

My So-Called Life: #39
Felicity: #94
Once and Again: #244 :cry: (Hope that number doesn't deter them releasing seasons 2 and 3)
Sports Night (Buena Vista as well): #39

I'd say that, with the exception of Once and Again :cry: the Buena Vista sets seem to be doing well, and My So-Called Life is holding its own right up there! I think it looks positive anyway.

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Nov 18th 2002, 1:44 am

Well with all the things that Amazon sells, I'd say 244 is still pretty good.

db

cool rider
Liberty High Student

Post by cool rider » Nov 18th 2002, 4:20 am

Calhoun,

If I am not mistaken Once and Again has been out for a few weeks, no? I have noticed that with TV shows (on amazon.com) they seem to do the best the first few weeks of pre-order and then the first week they come out, and then they usually drop quite quickly after that. They dont seem to have the same staying power that dvd movies have.
"You wish it, I dish it, I thought we were clear on this. I didn't think you were gonna go all narc on me."

Calhoun07
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Calhoun07 » Nov 18th 2002, 5:37 pm

That may be, but it's been out as long as Felicity. I know those are day-to-day totals and have no bearing on how many units sold, or how well it is doing for Buena Vista, but it gives me a rough idea, and the rough idea that it's Buena Vista's worst selling set, compared to their others. If anybody knows of a site that lists break downs of how well these things sell over all, from both online and brick and motar stores, then let me know!

cool rider
Liberty High Student

Post by cool rider » Nov 18th 2002, 6:58 pm

Calhoun, I read this artice around the time that Buffy season 1 and Twin Peaks came out on dvd, and it said companies for some reason dont track tv shows on dvd, or atleast there wasnt a system set up then. That was I think January of this year, so maybe now with so many out they have instituted a system, but I dont think so. So I think you are entirely correct in saying Amazon.com is probably your best resource for now.
"You wish it, I dish it, I thought we were clear on this. I didn't think you were gonna go all narc on me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 18th 2002, 7:06 pm

cool rider wrote:Calhoun, I read this artice around the time that Buffy season 1 and Twin Peaks came out on dvd, and it said companies for some reason dont track tv shows on dvd, or atleast there wasnt a system set up then. That was I think January of this year, so maybe now with so many out they have instituted a system, but I dont think so. So I think you are entirely correct in saying Amazon.com is probably your best resource for now.
Gord's site http://www.tvshowsondvd.com is a good resource to see what has been released so far (and what is scheduled for release), but it doesn't have sales numbers - just schedules and reviews, but it's great to have a place just about tv shows! Love the reviews too.

:D