Amazon.com DVDs NOT, repeat NOT Region 0

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
quagmire
Tino

Post by quagmire » Oct 10th 2002, 8:19 pm

The standard here in Australia is PAL, but almost all recent TVs support NTSC. In fact, some DVDs sold here are in NTSC format because it's cheaper for distributors to use the material already produced in overseas NTSC markets (e.g. the US) instead of doing thier own transfer from the source material in a PAL format DVD (generally to the detriment of buyers, since PAL is visually superior).

For those with older TVs that don't support NTSC, many VCRs have a feature called "NTSC playback on PAL TV" (aka PAL60). One thing I'm not sure about is whether many DVD players have this feature.

There is perhaps a wider emphasis on NTSC support here in Australia than in the UK, since our relatively small market forces people to look overseas for titles unavailable here, many of which will come from the US and therefore be in NTSC format.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 11th 2002, 1:36 am

double post
Last edited by fnordboy on Oct 11th 2002, 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 11th 2002, 1:36 am

Unfortunately Madman (an anime company in australia) doesnt make NTSC dvds yet. Though they do make multi region (though they dont advertise it..usually R2 as well as R4). They release a lot of far superior dvds than the R1 market.

Well my multi region player shoud be her enext week just in time for big order of R2s :) FInally Futurama Season 1 will BE MINE!

zedhead
Nicky Driscoll

Post by zedhead » Oct 11th 2002, 10:56 am

I just found something very useful out concerning regions and DVD players.

This morning I got a US disc of Swing Kids (scrummy Christian Bale) and went to play it and found out my player was region two - I thought it was free :oops:

I got in a tissy and then searched a bit for info after seeing these posts about players. I found a site with remote control hacks for different players, I just did one on my LG DVD player and now I can see Christian's lovely face. :D

If you fancy a go:
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/mult ... ckable.asp

...and let the word of region 1/2/0 be ours! Ha ha ha ha haaaaa (evil laughter) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Why are you like this? Like what? Like how you are. How am I? How am I!?