AMAZON MSCL DVD SALES RANK

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
pgh kenny
Angelica

AMAZON MSCL DVD SALES RANK

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 4th 2002, 6:51 pm

So the orphan DVD set appears to be quite popular by sales rank at Amazon.

Link to Listing for MSCL:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 04-7999207

AMAZON DVD SALES RANK SURVEY 10/4/2002
Star Wars Ep 2 - 1
Simpson's: First Season - 42
Swingers (96) - 63
Office Space - 71
Friends: First Season - 105
Legally Blond - 128
Twin Peaks: First Season - 131
Run Lola Run - 168
Star Trek Next Generation 253
When Harry Met Sally - 436
Dead Poet's Society - 498
Butch Cassidy - 553
Cruel Intentions - 669
Dazed and Confused - 838
European Vacation - 1,030
Saturday Night Live 25th Year - 2,609
Lost and Delirious - 2,654
Empire Records - 3,244
Waterworld (heh) - 4,810
Police Academy - 6,511
New Kid On The Block - 8,607
Pecker - 8,961[/img]
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 12:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

brainysmurf
Liberty High Student

Re: AMAZON MSCL DVD SALES RANK

Post by brainysmurf » Oct 4th 2002, 7:36 pm

As of right now it's moved to #314. Does anyone know how many BMG is printing? Has there been any advertising for this, or have people just been randomly searching for it on Amazon?

pgh_kenny wrote:So our little DVD set appears to be quite popular in it's first day over at amazon. Here's a survey of some random titles that came to my mind.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 4th 2002, 7:44 pm

i didn't see any evidence that amazon was pushing mscl dvd. i would not be surprised if this message board is driving a lot of traffic to amazon.com

what a missed opportunity for au...

brainysmurf
Liberty High Student

RE: AMAZON MSCL DVD SALES RANK

Post by brainysmurf » Oct 5th 2002, 7:50 am

Does anyone know exactly how the sales ranking system for Amazon.com works? As of 5am PST the MSCL DVD is #140, while Gladiator is #213. Does this really mean that in one day there were more preorders for MSCL than for the entire time Amazon.com has been selling Gladiator?

pgh kenny
Angelica

Re: RE: AMAZON MSCL DVD SALES RANK

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 5th 2002, 9:35 am

brainysmurf wrote:Does anyone know exactly how the sales ranking system for Amazon.com works? As of 5am PST the MSCL DVD is #140, while Gladiator is #213. Does this really mean that in one day there were more preorders for MSCL than for the entire time Amazon.com has been selling Gladiator?
It is a trade secret... some people have tried to decode the sales rank. Here's a link to the best I found:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/surfing.htm

Sales rank appears to be a function of both total and recent sales with some weighting scheme between the two. At any rate, I'd say the number of pre-orders at amazon is already in the mid to high 100's with no advertising.

north_Star98
Yearbook Team

Post by north_Star98 » Oct 5th 2002, 5:25 pm

i was looking at amazon...and the sales rank is 101 now!! haha

pete
Overlooked Sibling

Post by pete » Oct 5th 2002, 6:22 pm

if we cancel our AU orders and buy from amazon is jason going to get screwd out of some money?

because i'm tempted to do that at this point..but i don't want this to affect jason who has worked really hard and put up with more bullshti than all of us for this project
Once upon a time there lived a girl. She was always asleep. One morning she woke up.

David Lambert
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by David Lambert » Oct 5th 2002, 7:42 pm

if we cancel our AU orders and buy from amazon is jason going to get screwd out of some money?
Yes. :(
DAVE LAMBERT
Memphis, TN

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 5th 2002, 7:54 pm

Will Jason really be out money? I thought his part of it was just getting the deal with AU, not a % of sales. So does he get paid according to how many units AU sells? I didn't think this was the case.

Either way, I encourage everyone to at least pre-order through Amazon, it doesn't hurt ANYTHING since they don't charge until they ship. And they're REALLY GOOD at refunding money. I do it ALL THE TIME with them. It takes no time for them to credit an account.

If Ross doesn't offer up a good reason to stay with AU, I don't think Jason's cut is a good enough reason. If you're really concerned about Jason getting what he deserves, send him a check in the mail.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 5th 2002, 8:02 pm

So MSCL on AMAZON has cracked 100... it is now ranked higher than friends, first season.

This is my view point:

I feel VERY bitter towards fan involvement in dvd projects. I thought I was signing on for something special. Obviously, MSCL is not a niche product.... niche products don't exceed daily sales volumes for major u.s. television hits like friends on amazon. niche products especially don't crack 100 on amazon.com with no advertising. we are talking about a 7 year old show here!

Let me say, I'm not mad at Jason at all. He has done a great job. And clearly, all of things I am bitter about were not in his control at all. I'm just saying that if those of us who signed the petition and then pre-ordered early on had not stuck our necks out, there were be no amazon sales and no dvd. i am bitter that we were not treated with respect by the retailer - anotheruniverse.com. i am saying that we were kind of like "investors" in this project... but we get no returns. i fully support capitalism - but i now believe that fan involvement and capitalism are NOT compatible. i've got a headache............

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2002, 2:44 am

I agree with what you said Kenny - I feel as though we were the guinea pigs/investors who made this possible. We created the opportunity for everyone else to buy the set at Amazon for $30 less, but what did we get in return? Nothing yet, besides lied to, misled, double/triple charged, an appalling lack of communication regarding delay after delay, an inexcusable rate of refunds, etc. I feel like I went to volunteer at the soup kitchen and then got stabbed in the parking lot after my shift. Betrayal is a part of life, but this really sucks beyond what I expect from a business transaction. It certainly wouldn't work the other way - let us have the DVDs and then wait seven months to pay AU.

*climbing off soapbox*

Sorry I wasn't as succinct as Kenny was - I'm a raving lunatic at this point.

brooklyn_bridge_4sale
Nicky Driscoll

amazon

Post by brooklyn_bridge_4sale » Oct 6th 2002, 2:57 am

own people are getting out of their company.

WHAT A SHAM!!! THE SECRETARY EVEN GOT OUT LOL
Last edited by brooklyn_bridge_4sale on Oct 6th 2002, 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2002, 3:11 am

Yup, cause I totally felt like a malignant tumor when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon and it arrived in my mailbox a few days later instead of seven months later for twice the cost.

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Oct 7th 2002, 9:34 pm

Jason deserves credit for identifying pent up consumer demand. The MSCL dvd sales rank on amazon of 65 now exceeds the sales rank for my favorite movie "office space".

Let me pause here and mourn the waning popularity of office space....

Anyways, within 4 days, MSCL is in the top 65 dvd list on amazon, now that is pretty powerful stuff. I wonder how many pre-orders that translates into? 500? 1,500? Apparently the number can't be greater than 3,000 which is the number of units ventura will receive from bmg.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 7th 2002, 9:45 pm

Ventura ordered 3,000 minimum.

If they sell more, they can get more. In this business you need to cover a minimum guarantee.

Incidentally, I can understand BMG not acknowledging someone in the credits if they are not at the company any longer, but it wouldn't exactly kill them financially to take a certain independent consultant out to lunch.