Amazon.com pulls a DVD Empire

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
gizmodvdx
Nicky Driscoll

Post by gizmodvdx » Oct 5th 2002, 2:21 pm

I just can NOT get over the fact that I am paying an extra $50 for a Lunchbox that will go in the closet, and a Bonus disc that I will watch once. But remember, Ross said we MIGHT get another special bonus...something along the lines of a Certificate of Auth...Wow...Maybe refund us $30 bucks and we might think this deal is fair.

Gillian
Tino

Money back

Post by Gillian » Oct 5th 2002, 3:17 pm

How about AU just give us all free shipping :D

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 5th 2002, 3:26 pm

free shipping hardly makes up for it, but that should definetly not be out of the question, we deserve, To buy it at the price amazon people are buying for and if not that even lower.
blarg.

Dreaming of Me
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Dreaming of Me » Oct 5th 2002, 3:35 pm

Jason emailed me back and said the lunchboxes are not even done yet, but that i should "ask AU why not."

I decided I'm canceling my order with AU and getting it for almost 50% off from Amazon.

LetsBolt
Three Rivers Resident

Post by LetsBolt » Oct 5th 2002, 3:56 pm

You know this is getting REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!
To rub salt on the wounds, I get my debit/credit statement in the mail today and along with it, guess what i got? a 10$ gift certificate towards my next purchase at Amazon.com!@!!!!!
arghhhhhhhhhh,.....to cancel or not to cancel that tis the question!

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Oct 5th 2002, 6:25 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote: I do not blame BMG for any of this. They have truly been stand up fellows. The only professionals in the bunch.
I'm not blaming BMG for this entire mess, and it seems that they aren't completely at fault, from what I understand from Jason's comments. But their comment that we should've had the DVDs in August when they're the ones who took so long to fix them (for whatever reason) is just confusing.

"Johnny, where's my firetruck?"
"Um, I just gave it back to you."
"No, you didn't. Hey, what's that behind your back?"
"Um, nothing."

Or:
"Ma'am, I ordered a cupcake with this tea."
"Yeah, I gave it to you."
"No, you didn't. It's sitting right over there on the counter."
"Yeah, well, here's your bill. I got other people's cupcakes to worry about right now. You'll get yours soon enough."
"But I ordered mine first."
"Don't worry, sweetie. They won't get sprinkles on theirs."
She winks, pinches my cheek and walks away.
I still leave a tip cuz I'm nice and patient. :?

I do appreciate BMG taking on the project, but it also goes without saying that it had the possibility of being a profitable deal. Whether or not it is, or has become, or will become, is another matter. And it's fair to say we can't do everything expecting to lose money or break even. But that excuse, I'm sorrry, just doesn't hold water. This is just how I see it, but I could be wrong. Hey, I usually am. :lol:

Jason's cool though. :D Keep up the good work.

K
"You're so beautiful it hurts to look at you."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Money back

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 5th 2002, 7:15 pm

Gillian wrote:How about AU just give us all free shipping :D
That really isn't a reward for those of us who pre-ordered in February and are already getting free shipping. Whatever AU decides to do, it should benefit EVERYONE.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 6th 2002, 10:52 pm

funnyusername wrote:easy does it. jeez, everyone's acting like they are waiting for their ebola virus anadote to arrive via air mail. i am just as pumped to get my disks, and have been waiting just as long. 6 months is a very long time to wait, i concur, but every time i get twitchy and want to snap, i repeat to my self these words: "it's a tv show, i've seen them all, i actually know the dialoge off by heart..."
Some of us have been waiting 3 years and some others have not seen an episode in that time.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 7th 2002, 6:01 am

I am purple with rage.

The reason that I am so furious is not that the sets are available elsewhere. I was not born yesterday and I realised this would happen... eventually.

And that's the key - eventually. I do not appreciate having bought something on an 'exclusive' basis (and the reason I ordered was not for the bonus, or the lunchbox, but for the episodes) for a price which at the time I thought was steep but since they were supposedly pressed on a demand led basis (in the extreme) I paid it. I am angry because before I have even got my DVD's I find that they are being sold cheaper by someone else, with more information available than I have found by checking this site every weekday.

I feel SO conned in this whole thing - I ordered the same day the initial email went out about the pre-order and since then have been waiting mostly patiently.

Will I calm down? Probably.

But for now I am feeling royally shafted. Someone else could order through amazon tomorrow and I have every confidence they would get their DVDs before me for less money. :evil:

I could cancel my order but after reading about all the problems at AU, I don't want to. However if I don't have the set in my hand with some kind of major bonus for the wait and the hassle by November this is exactly what I will do.

It is the people who have been overcharged I feel really sorry for. And Jason.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Oct 7th 2002, 7:33 am

candygirl wrote:
Gillian wrote:How about AU just give us all free shipping :D
That really isn't a reward for those of us who pre-ordered in February and are already getting free shipping. Whatever AU decides to do, it should benefit EVERYONE.
Although I agree that free shipping should not be the only reward for ordering early at AU, free shipping will be a very good start for INTERNATIONAL customers, like me. For example, AU is charging $18 (minus$6.95 for Feb.-Preorders) for shipping to germany. As Amazon already lists the set, I'm pretty sure it will also become available at other retailers that offer "worldwide free shipping" like DVDBoxOffice. So free shipping for everybody (incl. intnl orders) would be a good step to make customers a little happier.

Just to give all Americans a little insight, how much (more) international customers got scr**ed already: I paid the $20 deposit back in march and the balance of $79.99 a little later, which makes for a total of $99.99. Converted into Euro (the currency in which I'll have to pay for the CC-bill :wink: ) this was about 115EUR (plus CC fees). If I would pay for the set today, $99.99 would only be about 102EUR. Of course I knew that the currency exchange rate could change, when I ordered. But you have to remember, when I initially ordered in february, I thought I would have the set by june. so the change in the exchange rate wouldn't have been that big.

Not to mention that I was double-charged (incl CC fees which won't be refunded at all) and not yet refunded. The total I will have paid for the DVD set when it finally arrives will look something like that:

23 EUR ($20 deposit)
+ 92 EUR ($79.99 balance)
+ 11.30EUR (shipping)
+ 5 EUR (cc fees incl those for double-charge)
= 131.30 EUR - that is about $128.50 at today's rate, for that price I could nearly buy two DVDsets today! :cry: :evil:

So, this is to AU: 1. You guys better hurry that EVERYBODY who ordered from you, will at least get this set before any other retailer can even ship it! 2. You better make sure that the discs are properly packaged (->Amazon-like) and protected, so they'll arrive whitout a scratch or any other damage. I'm very concerned about this since many sets will travel half around the globe. 3. Dare you selling the bonus disc to any other retailer when it finally is finished. (I know that this will happen sometime, but it'll better be in 2010) 4. Think about a little "surpise" (better be a good one) for your customers (who made this whole project possible in the first place, by financing it) to finally make the majority of them happy again. And I'm not talking about a 2Cent-certificate!

I feel better now! :roll:

nester
Tino

Post by nester » Oct 7th 2002, 1:36 pm

I consider myself to be a pretty reasonable person. I've been trying to ignore the problem as long as I can. I really have. I've been checking the pages periodically, and trying to not think about this.. I, however, am losing my ability to ignore. Apathy is turning to anger.. Anger from the fact that I've paid for something 8 months ago, and I still haven't gotten it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just felt I needed to speak up as well.

Still, through all of this.. I consider myself lucky, I did not get over charged.. I did not use a debit card because of the inherent danger of losing hard cash, rather than "virtual cash" of a credit card. I feel for you guys.. Regardless, I paid interest (on some level anyway) on a purchase that I haven't even seen..

Can I please have my discs? Like, really? Please?

Sidenote: I only bought this for the episodes. While I think the lunchbox is cool, I'll probably just stick it in a box and look at it again in like 5 years. The bonus stuff will probably never even get watched, based on past DVD's.. ho hum.. :|

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2002, 2:20 pm

MovieMac wrote:That really isn't a reward for those of us who pre-ordered in February and are already getting free shipping. Whatever AU decides to do, it should benefit EVERYONE.
Believe me, I'm not disagreeing because I saw the international shipping chart! I am just saying that AU should do something that will attempt to make everyone happy. If all they throw out there is free shipping, that's like telling you "Hey, you're going to get ALL 19 episodes!" Well, whoopie because that's what I already expected.

:evil:

They have had my money since February and I have listened to delay after delay, excuse after excuse, and if all they offer is free shipping - well, that would totally suck.

If patience is a virtue, then you know I'm a slut!

So gimme my DVDs!!!

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Oct 21st 2002, 10:57 pm

Cornelius1047 wrote: I'm not blaming BMG for this entire mess, and it seems that they aren't completely at fault, from what I understand from Jason's comments. But their comment that we should've had the DVDs in August when they're the ones who took so long to fix them (for whatever reason) is just confusing.
Okay, okay, I think I get it now. BMG didn't finish the discs on time cuz AU hadn't paid them? Is this what the situation was? In which case, I guess BMG isn't at fault at all, as Jason stated. I'm not defending AU at all, and my cancellation shows that. I was just confused about the whole thing. So is this pretty much right? Jason?

K

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 21st 2002, 11:13 pm

You know what? I am just happy that the pressure on AU got them to pay for the DVDs.

I'll be even happier when all of the double charged masses see their money plus interest (as promised by AU on this forum).

The pressure is working, people!!!! No rest until every single wrong is fixed.

Jason Rosenfeld

Cornelius1047
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Cornelius1047 » Oct 21st 2002, 11:39 pm

Sometimes I just want to cry. :cry:

K