New DVD box set, price

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
fju2112
Frozen Embryo

New DVD box set, price

Post by fju2112 » Dec 28th 2007, 9:06 am

Wow. Looks like they priced this thing out at the Sopranos DVD level. $70 for 19 episodes? I don't even think Lost Season 3 is priced at quite that level.

OK, pretty sad for my first post because I AM a huge fan of the show and I CAN afford $70 for the dvds...but I might hold off until I see the price drop a little.

Does anyone know if this company printed a bunch of them or is it one of those things that will likely be out of print before it goes down in price? You're talking to a fan of MTV's Liquid Television from back in the day, so when Aeon Flux came out on DVD, I snatched it right up for fear they wouldn't keep it around too long :) Of course, Peter Chung could still bring that back and make the characters look the same...too bad we can't have that anymore for MSCL!

Well I know this might be off-topic but this is my first forum post, so mods, please have mercy on me. What an excellent show. I'm a big Jared Leto fan; he's been in some great roles (American Psycho, Fight Club, Panic Room). Clare Danes has also grown on me, though I simply can't shake Angela Chase from whatever she does, so it's difficult to see her in other roles. I remember in 1997, as a senior in HS, watching reruns of this show non-stop for hours on MTV, wishing they would just keep it on constant repeat, all 19 episodes, and hoping they'd somehow bring Clare Danes and the gang back to re-shoot at least one more season. By then, Danes had already done Romeo & Juliet, and it was a great move for her, so I pretty much knew the party was over. I forgot that this originally aired in 1994. I seem to remember thinking at the time when I saw the ads for it on abc, that there was no way a network show could capture "teen angst" in the least. When I started watching it on MTV, (back when MTV was somewhat decent), I realized what a great show it was and what a shame it was that it had been cancelled.

Well I'll surely be posting more in the forum...and very likely I'll have to convince the wife that buying this $70 DVD box set is NOT a sad throwback to my past HS days :) Wish me luck w/ that one. ;)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: New DVD box set, price

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 28th 2007, 4:31 pm

This is exactly why I buy my box sets as soon as they are released - sale prices! I have a hard time paying $70 for a single season of a tv show (and HBO is one of the worst examples of this: The Sopranos, Oz, Sex and the City, etc. are too expensive for my taste) so if I can't get them on sale, I don't get them. I check the release schedule at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ to see if anything I love is coming out soon so that I know when to start planning to buy!

A few years ago, someone else at this forum introduced me to http://www.dvdpricesearch.com which I still use to find the best price on DVDs. It doesn't include every single retailer out there, but they have enough included that I can usually find what I'm looking for at a decent price. A similar site is http://www.dvdpricecompare.com (although I prefer the first site, to be honest). MSCL is under $50 at a bunch of places right now, so buy it now while there are still discounted prices in the aftermath of the holiday shopping season - go, now, go!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Yukino
Tino

Post by Yukino » Jan 21st 2008, 6:04 pm

fju2112 wrote: OK, pretty sad for my first post because I AM a huge fan of the show and I CAN afford $70 for the dvds...but I might hold off until I see the price drop a little.

Does anyone know if this company printed a bunch of them or is it one of those things that will likely be out of print before it goes down in price?
That's what I'm wondering! I really want to buy this dvd set...

Do you guys think that it'll be out of print soon? So do you think we should buy it as soon as possible or we could wait a little bit more?

Anyway, about price I've seen on Ebay this set (Shout Factory Version releseased this year) for 35 dollars(lowest price) to 100 dollars(highest price).

Ebay can be a good option for buying stuff but you need to be wise and check the ratings of the seller and also make as much questions as possible to him.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 21st 2008, 7:20 pm

I bought the new dvd box set just last week from Amazon for only like $37. I was watching it and it seemed that every other week they put it on sale. it's a good price in my opinion, so I went for it. :)

Yukino
Tino

Post by Yukino » Jan 21st 2008, 8:10 pm

Hi Emmie!
Did you buy it directly from Amazon? Or did you buy it on Amazon's user selling service? :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2008, 6:54 am

Amazon is still selling the set for $37, so get it while you can!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 22nd 2008, 11:43 am

yes, I bought it new directly from Amazon and not a third party seller.

north_Star98
Yearbook Team

Post by north_Star98 » Feb 2nd 2008, 4:51 am

I bought mine recently as well for 37.99 from Amazon. I remember before the holidays they sold the set for the same price, and during the month of December, Amazon raised the price to $70. They lowered it back down after the holidays. Hopefully, it stays around that price! They probably figure they can get people to buy it since that's the price that was charged for the original release (after it got permitted to sell at Amazon, Best Buy, etc).

HallwayStanderby
Frozen Embryo

Post by HallwayStanderby » Mar 22nd 2008, 1:04 pm

i got mine from Best Buy for 54.99$. honestly i thought it was steep, but i can't say it wasn't worth it. i only wish that it would have continued for a second season. that show had soo much potential that was killed by Claire Danes (selfish,over TV, time for film) and ABC thinking they couldn't market it. I watch that show and just remember how real some of that was when i was highschool, basically when it was on and how a lot of it is still completely relevant today in subject matter. That show was ahead of its time and honestly deserves a spot in everyone's library

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Jul 14th 2008, 12:46 am

I paid 200 buckaronies for the old version a year before this came out. I was both ecstatic and a little mad too when this came out, cause if I had just waited. :evil: :wink: I bought the new release too, it is sooo much better!