Tell Shout! Factory what you think

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Tell Shout! Factory what you think

Post by Greybird » Nov 8th 2007, 8:47 am

Shout! Factory has a message board that solicits feedback and suggestions from its customers. You might think that's unremarkable, but it has staff actually answering postings ... which is more than a lot of firms even try to do with their boards!

If you were swept away, underwhelmed, or anything in between for this new "MSCL" set, please let them know.

This company already showed it was responsive and aware in planning the set, and it does take suggestions seriously: An effort this week to encourage them to gain rights to and release "Daria" in a full set also got a prompt response.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 8th 2007, 8:52 am

My own exchange with Brian Ward, manager of DVD and home video ...
Greybird wrote:Subject: DVD grand slam home run with this one!

Your "MSCL" set has been constantly occupying my DVD player since I bought it last Wednesday. And I've been motivated: I have been a fan of "My So-Called Life" since 1995, and shelled out for the underwhelming 2002 DVD release. Your set blows away the previous one. Nearly four hours of extras!

One of the delights of this project from the beginning is that you sought out the perspectives of the quite rational "geek" fans of this series, via the MSCL.com Website, to get ideas for potential bonus material. The panel at the Museum of TV and Radio, among other elements, was secured in part from such a suggestion. That shows a great respect for articulate, passionate admirers of such a show, and adds to your customers.

I've been delighted by the production quality on the bonus disc and episode commentaries. The audio and video are crisp, clear, and pointedly blended with effective clips from the series. Whatever persuasive techniques you used, to bring in nearly the entire original cast and creative crew to participate, are utterly potent and entirely welcomed by a vast fan audience.

How many such sets are complete enough to have 15 minutes of detailed, fascinating commentary just on the MUSIC? I'd say this is an excellent example of your thorough, fascinating approach to the material, giving every well-known and underrated aspect its deserved attention.

The episodes themselves have a stellar video and audio transfer, with the Dolby 5.1 mix being far superior to the one used on the previous release.

I noticed that you made the menu apparatus clear and unobtrusive. The chapter stops are placed at the start of each of the four acts, as well as at the opening and ending credits, making the six logical points that should exist - and removing needless menu options. (The previous release subdivided each episode into five chapters, often without much logic.) Don't think that such subtle quality efforts would ever go unnoticed!

I'm still spinning out my viewing of the bonus material - after years in the wilderness, I don't want to gorge myself too quickly at such a buffet. What I do know is that with showing this much care, you've gained a permanent customer. Thank you!
B Ward wrote:Thank you for your kind words, Greybird. We sincerely appreciate the opinions of our customers. DVD isn't just our job; it's quite literally our vice. We're all fans and consumers, ourselves, so we'd be out of our minds not to go straight to the fans for their thoughts on many of our upcoming titles (you can certainly find me on more than one forum!).

Keep an eye out. We've got a lot of stuff in the pipeline. A little something for everyone, for sure. Hope to make you as happy in the future as we have in this past week or so.

Thanks, again!

Brian