Reviews/mentions of the set in the media

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Star-Ledger (again): interview with Wilson and Winnie

Post by Sascha » Oct 30th 2007, 2:38 pm

Steve Hedgpeth from the Star-Ledger staff talked with Wilson Cruz and Winnie Holzman: "Your 'Life' is finally complete".
[..]
But Holzman, who went on to garner a Tony nomination and a Drama Desk award for writing the book of the Broadway hit "Wicked," sees only the sweet and not the bitter.

"It's nothing but sweet for me," she says. "The show makes me very proud and gratified, and I'm touched that people are still interested. I still have such a fondness and deep love for Claire and the other actors on the show.

"We did our show and we did the best we could. We weren't able to control whether the network believed in it or didn't believe in it. In the end, it didn't matter. What was important is that we made the show that we wanted to make and we made the effect that we made."
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Los Angeles Times / calendarlive.com

Post by Sascha » Oct 30th 2007, 2:59 pm

Kate Aurthur from the Los Angeles Times online at calendarlive.com: DVD set relives 'My So-Called Life'
[..]
But those who did watch loved it. In fact, "My So-Called Life" is such an emotional touchstone that certain fans might find themselves moved to tears while reading the brochure accompanying the complete-series DVD set that will be released Tuesday. A single clause in the episode descriptions that reads ". . . Sharon and Angela begin to mend their friendship" could evoke a flood, for instance. Or, in another tear-jerking example, its creator, Winnie Holzman, paraphrases the final lines of the "My So-Called Life" pilot episode to express her lack of regret about its quick cancellation. "We had a time," Holzman writes at the end of a short essay. "And I am still having one."
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set in the media: EclipseMagazine.co

Post by Sascha » Oct 30th 2007, 3:02 pm

Sheldon A. Wiebe from EclipseMagazine.com reviews the set: TVonDVD: The Best of the Best – The Young Indiana Jones Adventures, Volume One; My So-Called Life: The Complete Series (scroll down)
Without My So-Called Life, there might well have been no Felicity, no Beverly Hills 90210, or even Buffy, the Vampire slayer. That’s a pretty big statement, but even Joss Whedon [creator of Buffy] acknowledges the possibility in his introduction to this lovely set from shout! Factory.
[..]
Grade: My So-Called Life – A+
Grade: Features – A+
Final Grade: A+

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set on afterellen.com

Post by Sascha » Oct 30th 2007, 5:39 pm

Dorothy Snarker from AfterEllen.com mentions the show and the DVDs in her blog today.

[..]
Which cuts to what was so amazing about the show in the first place. It was a series about teenagers that was, above all else, honest about teenagers. And in that honesty was true beauty, even if you couldn’t always see it at first.
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

DVD review from GIANT Magazine

Post by Sascha » Oct 31st 2007, 7:08 am

GIANT Magazine interviewed Wilson Cruz and also has a review for the DVD set: The Scanner celebrates the DVD release of the classic mid-‘90s TV-series My So-Called Life.
[..]
As for the series itself, it still holds up quite well, dated fashions and hairstyles aside. The writing is crisp, the then-young cast is terrific, and the characters are richly drawn, though the show’s irony-free earnestness did result in some cringe-inducing hours, most notably a Christmas episode in which Angela receives a heavenly assist when she tries to get Rickie off the streets. Still, at its best, Life tackled the big issues with a grace and sophistication that’s still uncommon among contemporary teen dramas. It’s one of the few ’90s relics that’s actually worth getting nostalgic about.
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Mentioned on CNN.com

Post by Sascha » Oct 31st 2007, 3:03 pm

Todd Leopold from the CNN.com Showbiz Blog:
[..]
I was a big fan of "My So-Called Life" during its short run. The Herskovitz-Ed Zwick producing team was the initial draw for me (you've heard the phrase, "I'd watch so-and-so read the phone book"? Well, I'd watch a Herskovitz and Zwick production of the phone book), but I was quickly sucked in by Holzman's wonderful writing, the pitch-perfect atmosphere and Danes' amazing performance as Angela Chase.
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set in the media

Post by Sascha » Nov 2nd 2007, 7:43 am

Chuck Barney from the Contra Costa Times: Ah, Angela, we miss your 'So-Called Life'
[..]
The irony is that "MSCL," which always preferred grit over glamour and mood over melodrama, actually played to substantially more viewers than "Gossip Girl" (nearly 10 million compared to just under 3 million). But "MSCL" had the misfortune to arrive before networks began aggressively marketing to teens and before TV fragmentation enabled niche channels to thrive with smaller audiences.

But some things never change in the TV teen world. Just like the pampered princesses of "Gossip Girl," Angela Chase coped with relationship issues and struggled to find herself. She took her licks on the battlefield that is high school, rebelled against Mom and Dad, and confronted the temptations of sex and illegal substances.

The difference is that she did so in a kind of witty, captivating and emotionally engaging style that may never be found on television again.
[..]

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 2nd 2007, 7:53 am

Review at DVD Verdict. The reviewers erroneously refers to Paula Abdul videos, but aside from that it's a pretty good review!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Nov 6th 2007, 12:29 pm

I'm not sure if this belongs in this topic, but I wrote a small review of the set for the entertainment blog Muruch.
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 8th 2007, 7:41 am

411mania.com gives the DVD set the best possible verdict: Final Score: 10.0 (Virtually Perfect).

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set: BlogCritics

Post by Sascha » Nov 21st 2007, 10:18 am

Juliet Farmer reviewed the set for BlogCritics.com:
[..]
In all, this is the collection for My So-Called Life fans, as it not only contains all of the original, excellent episodes, but also a ton of extra goodies sure to entertain for years to come.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set: TVSquad

Post by Sascha » Nov 21st 2007, 10:21 am

TVSquad now also have their review up:
[..]
Considering how much DVD collections for a single season of a television show cost, I cannot believe what a great bargain this complete set is. And I think of it as owning a small cornerstone of TV history.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set: DVD Lounge

Post by Sascha » Nov 21st 2007, 10:23 am

Travis Leamons from DVD Lounge.com reviews both the MSCL set and the recent "Veronica Mars" Season 3 DVD release.
[..]
Two shows - My So-Called Life and Veronica Mars - have themes and idioms that could easily fit into one's own catalog of pop culture. Both have unique followings and were ahead of the curve in content and originality.
[..]

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set: Lumino Magazine

Post by Sascha » Nov 21st 2007, 10:34 am

And another review from Lumino Magazine from Chicago:
[..]
If you were a fan of the show or a fan of quality television this is the box set for you.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Reviews/mentions of the set: theStranger.com

Post by Sascha » Dec 1st 2007, 9:12 am

Annie Wagner posted a short review of the set at thestranger.com: It Hurts to Look at This.
[..]
I was just starting my first year of high school when ABC aired My So-Called Life—set during a turbulent sophomore year at Pittsburgh's fictional Liberty High—so I was probably, like, morally obligated to revere it. What's surprising, watching the series again 13 years later, is that it was worth the adoration.
[..]