2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
Benebula98
Liberty High Student

2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by Benebula98 » May 2nd 2007, 3:28 pm

This was just posted on tvshowsondvd.com:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7247

It looks like our favorite show might be released again. I was one of the people who purchased it WAY back from anotheruniverse.com and would love to see what another company might do with it and would probably buy it.

I would love a Claire interview or some commentary. Also the museum of radio and television cast panel that had been promised but never delivered by another universe would be AMAZING!

*BEN*

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 3rd 2007, 2:38 am

Wow. If Shout!Factory really is the one re-releasing MSCL ... that would be a dream come true. Their "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared" sets are the highlights in my DVD collection. If anyone can create the best DVD package for MSCL, then it's Shout!. I do so hope these rumors are true.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 3rd 2007, 4:17 am

FYI - if you see a surge in guests lurking at the forum or new members, it's probably because the info from tvshowsondvd was reposted at ONTD so be nice to the newbies!
We've heard some rumors about a new My So-Called Life DVD set being in the works, but they appeared to be just that - rumors. Now we've heard some more concrete information, including the studio that will be (if the rumors are correct) releasing the set, and it should put a smile on the face of fans who missed the first set. So, here's what we've heard...

The 19 episodes will be available on 6 discs and should be out on October 30. All the music will be intact, just as it was on the first set released by BMG. Here's the best part - we've heard the studio that will release it is Shout! Factory. Yup, the company that put together the beautiful Freaks & Geeks set will tackle My So-Called Life. Hopefully they can talk Claire Danes and Jared Leto into taking part in the bonus materials, though both actors have turned their backs on the show since their careers have taken off. There may be some opportunities for fans to be involved in creating material that's used on the set as well; Shout! has done that with a few titles in the past.

We'll keep you updated on anything more we hear. Feel like discussing the past DVD, or the new one? Head over to the DVD section of the MSCL.com website. You can also read all about he controversy surrounding the first set (it was pretty crazy).
Heh, if people really want to read about the controversy, tvshowsondvd should have linked to the craziness of the AU section of the forum! Just thinking about that is a painful trip down memory lane. You know, the kind of memory lane strewn with broken glass, rusty nails, and molten lava when you are barefoot.

I'm glad that someone picked up the option to re-release MSCL on DVD. I was kind of disappointed when no one picked up the rights after Buena Vista's expired. It's really exciting that Shout Factory will be releasing the set. I hope they add the Museum of Television and Radio material to the special features! It seems silly not to acquire it since it already exists.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

danguyf
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by danguyf » May 3rd 2007, 6:47 am

AOL's "Pop Candy" just linked to it too, and they've already got six pages worth of comments from excited fans.

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » May 3rd 2007, 12:02 pm

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I was in here :D

I've already told Shout! about the MT&R panel (they've licensed those for some other sets), and told them it would be a good idea to get MSCL.com on board with the DVDs.

I'm glad the news got picked up elsewhere.

Gord

Dork
Frozen Embryo

Post by Dork » May 4th 2007, 3:58 am

oh man. i hope this happens!

SpaceCadet
Tino

Post by SpaceCadet » May 4th 2007, 12:57 pm

Oh sweet, that is awesome! I hope this happens!!!

How would the ordering process work out?

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » May 4th 2007, 6:39 pm

You'll be able to order it from Amazon (and other stores), but not for a long time. I expect an October release will be up for preordering in August.

Gord

SpaceCadet
Tino

Post by SpaceCadet » May 5th 2007, 9:03 am

That's so great! I wonder if they could work out some kind of advanced pre-order for the members of the site considering this is the hub for most MSCL fans.

I also wonder what the price range will be. I dont know if I should say this but I would most likely pay any price!!!

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » May 7th 2007, 5:36 pm

I'll be skeptical until there's more definite info. It's my nature.

Shout Fatcory has done some great work on DVD sets, but I think the Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared were more of the result of the enthusiasm of Judd Apatow and Paul Feig to get them released and pack them full of extras. If Shout Factory doesn't have the full involvement of Winnie Holzman or Herskovitz/Zwick, I don't know what more they can do. Either way, I'll be buying this. The MT&R footage alone would be worth it.

Nothing like great news to bring out some old-timers like myself.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » May 9th 2007, 12:38 pm

dTheater wrote: Nothing like great news to bring out some old-timers like myself.
I did a double take when I saw you're name. Good to see you're still kickin. And naturally, MSCL and DVD in the same sentence = skepticism.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

DVDeeva
Frozen Embryo

Post by DVDeeva » May 9th 2007, 5:58 pm

Anyone have any ideas for DVD Extras that haven't been mentioned? Post them here and you will be heard.
DVDeeva

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 10th 2007, 5:00 am

Anyone have any ideas for DVD Extras that haven't been mentioned?
I dug out an old email from our internal project list back from 2001 before the AnotherUniverse s**t hit the fan. We also had a poll on mscl.com in 2001 asking the fans for their ideas.

Here's the "ultimate christmas wish list" we ended up with (I edited it a bit to bring it up to date):

- cast/crew commentary track(s)
-> this is a "killer application" and a "must-have".
-> especially for episodes #1 and #19.

- deleted/unedited footage
-> this is another "killer application".
e.g: - pre-production stuff like casting scenes
- dropped scenes
- just anything Bedford Falls might still have lying around

- cast interviews.
-> Devon Gummersall, A.J. Langer and others agreed back in 2001 to do interviews with us, but it fell apart due to scheduling issues in the last minute. Dan was already in L.A. to do the interviews...
-> but at least we got the interview with the nice folks at Bedford Falls. Unfortunately, AU put an unedited version on the bonus disc, so you can't understand everything they say.

- original promo material
-> there should be promo stuff from ABC, MTV and FOX Family available... somewhere in their archives.
-> we know that MTV produced little segments with the cast in 1995 when they aired the show
-> I also have a ABC press promo CD which features an early trailer for the show and two short interviews with Claire. But they're only tiny Quicktime videos (this was made in 1994, so it's low-quality)
-> possible source(s): Bedford Falls, ABC, MTV, FOX Family

- better video quality DVD
-> new video transfer. The first DVD set by AU/BMG was produced based on the masters produced for the early VHS sets back in 1998. The result was a low-quality picture quality with visible scan lines and film grain which looked sometimes really crappy on big (and smaller) screens. As far as I know, the show was originally shot on film, so better quality transfer should be possible these days (but still costly).
-> region code free (probably impossible since there're now R2 releases announced)

- subtitles in other languages (most requested: Spanish, French, German)
-> some are even already available (made by fans)

- intellimode / "fact track":
Based on the fan-made dvd commentary there could be a special subtitle track with background information about the scene and/or the possibility to access special behind-the-scenes footage.

- Making of MSCL / MSCL documentary
-> from the early stages of the idea born in 1991 during the production of "thirtysomething" to the cancellation in 1995 to the DVD production...
-> maybe create some kind of documentary for the DVD with interviews with former ABC entertainment chef Ted Herbert and the Bedford Falls folks?
-> "what MSCL means to me": Interviews with writers/actors from other tv shows commenting on the influence of MSCL on their work. Also: Interviews with fans.
-> "Making of the DVD" / the history of the first DVD box set / the AU debacle...

- "special" footage:
-> original trailers from ABC and/or MTV from 1994/1995
-> footage from the "My So-Called Life" event at the museum of TV and Radio in L.A. from 1995. (60 minutes -- this is definitely available)
-> interactive "history of MSCL" with stills/videos from "Operation Life Support"
(e.g. the MTV interview with Steve Joyner, the Variety ad from January 95, Claire Danes winning the Emmy for MSCL,...)

- DVD-ROM section

- complete shooting scripts (and their revisions)
-> should be RTF or DOC or ASCII text on the DVD-ROM part
-> possible source(s): Bedford Falls, fans, "ScriptShops"
-> I have almost all of 'em.

- complete MSCL-related scores/theme songs by Snuffy Walden
-> possible source(s): http://www.wgsnuffywalden.com
-> he actually answers his email by himself -- at least back in 2001 :)

- "video-soundtrack" (e.g. the "Everbody Hurts" video by R.E.M.)

- actors biography / filmography (with trailers?) / "where are they now?"

- as a gag: "MSCL in other languages".
(just like on the first "Shrek" DVD: short scenes with french, german, italian dubbing...)

- some kind of game (interactive trivia game, etc.)
-> little MSCL game ... something dealing with the cat and/or Tino perhaps. (just like the "pills" on the Matrix DVD ...)
-> this one is actually the reason for that little "key" on the lunchbox. It was supposed to be part of a larger easter egg on the main DVDs.

- Limited edition bonus ideas:
-> the book "Fighting for Life", edition 2007
including: - promo ads from ABC for Golden Globe consideration
- behind-the-scenes pictures
- actor biographies
- "angela's world"
- fanfiction stories
- the history of "Operation Life Support"
-> "Liberty High Yearbook" with pictures from some MSCL-fans
-> T-Shirt
-> Poster (Replica of original ABC promo posters)
-> letter from Winnie Holzman/Bedford Falls to the fans...
-> limited autographed edition

- First "My So-Called Life" World Convention / Release Party
when the DVD gets released. (heh, one can dream...)

DVDeeva
Frozen Embryo

New release extras

Post by DVDeeva » May 10th 2007, 5:25 pm

[ we know that MTV produced little segments with the cast in 1995 when they aired the show ]

Did MTV air it in '95? I thought they aired it in 2000? Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, the list is great and we're on it.

DVDeeva[/quote]
DVDeeva

Catalano87
Tino

Post by Catalano87 » May 10th 2007, 5:29 pm

That would definatly be some awesome DVD features!
Can't wait till we get more news about.
I'm crossing my fingers that is all works out for the best.