2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: 2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by emmie » Oct 29th 2007, 12:25 pm

I'm so sad because I can't afford to buy the new set just yet, or the third season of Veronica Mars! humpft! but at least this time I'm not in danger of losing out because of limited dvds. christmas is just 2 months away afterall! :)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 29th 2007, 1:28 pm

emmie wrote:I'm so sad because I can't afford to buy the new set just yet, or the third season of Veronica Mars! humpft! but at least this time I'm not in danger of losing out because of limited dvds. christmas is just 2 months away afterall! :)
That's exactly how I'm feeling right now! (About both shows!) Well, I'm sure that I actually could buy them, but I'm pretending, and when I say pretending, I mean that I am being seriously delusional, that I'll be able to buy a house some day, and so I'm trying to save. The thing is, there are few commentaries that I listen to more than once (there are some, but not that many), and I'm not sure that I can justify the purchase of a whole new set (although I did it, to a smaller extent, for Lord of the Rings, Say Anything, and Empire Records). Let's face it, if there were more Jared in the extras, I probably wouldn't be debating this right now.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Set of ShoutFactory intros

Post by Greybird » Oct 29th 2007, 4:37 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:... and if you go right now to the main page of shoutfactory.com, you'll be greeted by the cast of "My So-Called Life". They basically just say "you're watching shoutfactory.com", but still -- it's amazing to see them all again after so many years. I've seen Lisa Wilhoit (she's so grown up!), Devon Gummersall, Devon Odessa, Tom Irwin, Paul Dooley, Bess Armstrong, Wilson Cruz and A.J. Langer --- press "Reload" for a new randomly selected introduction.
Geez, ... I can't wait to get the DVDs. :-)
I've saved all eight of these intros. (After about 30 reloads, I seriously doubt that any more are on line.) I learned my lesson after not taping the MTV intros, by the cast, back in Spring 1995!

If you'd like the .zip archive, 1442 KB, you can download it here.

I saved these as .flv (Flash Video) files — or, at least, that extension allows them to play in a Flash Video player, such as this freeware for Windows.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 30th 2007, 7:31 pm

Um, it was released today, right? Tuesday October 30th? Because I can't find it in stores anywhere. :(
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Between Names
Frozen Embryo

Post by Between Names » Oct 31st 2007, 12:50 am

dTheater wrote:Um, it was released today, right? Tuesday October 30th? Because I can't find it in stores anywhere. :(
Yeah I had the same problem. It was in Best Buy's Sunday add on sale for $45, so I went there and they didn't have it. I went to Target, nothing! I checked Circuit City, nothing. So I ended up finding it at FYE for $15 more than Best Buy which was a complete bummer, but after now watching some of the bonus material and seeing the packaging the extra $15 is no big deal at all. This is amazing! Nobody should sleep on this. It's really incredible guys, go get it! Later

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 31st 2007, 3:01 am

I looked at Target tonight and didn't see it either. I'm going to give Cost Co a try and if it isn't there, I'll just order it online.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

bastro
Frozen Embryo

Post by bastro » Oct 31st 2007, 4:19 pm

Yippee! Got my copy in the mail today from Amazon.ca. As per Murphy's Law, I won't be able to watch it for a bit yet, but still... :D :D :D

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Nov 1st 2007, 12:03 am

Between Names wrote:
dTheater wrote:Um, it was released today, right? Tuesday October 30th? Because I can't find it in stores anywhere. :(
Yeah I had the same problem. It was in Best Buy's Sunday add on sale for $45, so I went there and they didn't have it. I went to Target, nothing! I checked Circuit City, nothing. So I ended up finding it at FYE
I had the same exact experience, going from Best Buy to Target to Cc to FYE. But then I went to the Best Buy website and found it was available in only one Best Buy store in the city, so I got it there.

Still consuming it. So much more than I had expected. Didn't realize EVERYONE (except Jared Leto) was involved.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Nov 1st 2007, 4:03 pm

I just got my set in the mail today from Amazon. I haven't read the little book, or watched the bonus disk yet.

The book has a bunch of nice pictures, I'm looking forward to reading it. The picture quality of the DVDs is noticeably better.

I took a few quick pictures of the set (Sorry if they've been posted already).

Cover of the set.

Back of the set.

What's inside.

The disks.

Cover of the disk case.

Back of the disk case.

I can't wait to read and watch the bonus stuff.

Steve
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

roccotwo
Frozen Embryo

Subtitles on DVD availible?

Post by roccotwo » Nov 2nd 2007, 6:28 am

Hello,

are there any subtitles on the new US-release of MSCL?

thanks in advance
roccotwo

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 2nd 2007, 7:42 am

According to the review at DVD Verdict, there are no subtitles.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

DVDeeva
Frozen Embryo

Post by DVDeeva » Nov 2nd 2007, 9:35 am

DVD Verdict's review says there are no subtitles. BUT THERE ARE CLOSED CAPTIONS ON THE EPISODES.

That's a fact.
DVDeeva

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 2nd 2007, 9:26 pm

I've been going through the DVDs at a good clip since I have had a couple of days off of work. I'm paused on "On the Wagon" now. I like the commentaries a great deal. Devon Gummersall's contributions on the "Life of Brian" commentary were interesting. He was going through many of the same things in his real life as he was experiencing while making the show. It also was interesting that one of the reasons why the adults got such prominent roles in the series was the fact that many of the kids, like Claire and Devon, were really underage. Labor laws limited how much the kids could work. Claire really seemed pleased with the show and her work in her commentary with Winnie.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 3rd 2007, 1:01 am

It wasn't just the adults who got more more air time as a result of the child labor laws. On the AU bonus disc, Winnie/Marshall/Ed explain that because Claire was underage (and hence could not be in every scene), they were forced to write more storylines for all of the other characters. I believe Winnie was the one who said how it was a blessing in disguise because it allowed them to develop the other characters more than they would have been able to do had Claire been 18 (or even 16).

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 4th 2007, 12:10 am

Natasha (candygirl) wrote:It wasn't just the adults who got more more air time as a result of the child labor laws. On the AU bonus disc, Winnie/Marshall/Ed explain that because Claire was underage (and hence could not be in every scene), they were forced to write more storylines for all of the other characters. I believe Winnie was the one who said how it was a blessing in disguise because it allowed them to develop the other characters more than they would have been able to do had Claire been 18 (or even 16).
Yes, the writers and producers discuss the expanded opportunities for all of the actors/characters due to Claire's minor status in more detail on the bonus disc for the new DVD set. Additionally, the producers intended for the show to be a half-hour drama at first. This length of time would have been more compatible with child labor laws. ABC didn't want a half-hour show. So, changing the format to a full hour allowed a great deal more time to develop the story lines we got to see.

I love the new DVD set. However, I was a little bothered by the interview format on the bonus disc. No questioners were shown. So, it wasn't a question-and-answer type of format. Maybe I watch too much talk shows, but the lack of a interviewer -- people conversing -- left me kind of cold. Presenting the interviews in an answer-only format probably saved a great deal of time though.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/