2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
foolishoptimist
Three Rivers Resident

Re: 2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by foolishoptimist » Nov 5th 2007, 1:58 am

Wow, I haven't been on these boards in 3 years, that's kinda sad. But in only a few short minutes I've seen half a dozen names I remember fondly, that's good to see.

I'm still watching my DVD's Another Universe. Only just heard about the re-release. I'm glad it's the Freak and Geeks DVD people making it. They will make a truly awesome set, and from what I've heard/read, they have.

I wish it were region Zero though. I'll have to get a new multi-region DVD player, my current one has a tendency to lose the discs inside it. And these would be too good to lose.
The sun's outside the window trying to show us we're all being stupid. All you have to do is look around.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 5th 2007, 1:13 pm

There is very little discussion on the new set about the reasons why the series was cancelled. Our discussion of the possible reasons can be found on this thread: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2947. On its face, this lack of information isn't a big deal. However, since there was more discussion of this issue on the Another Universe set, the lack of this information makes this new set seem incomplete or not as definitive as it could have been.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 5th 2007, 2:36 pm

it's interesting you mentioned that about the interviews, Tomspeed. whenever I shoot interviews, the questioner is never filmed. I had never thought about it before, but it does seem to make a difference. especially when you're used to seeing Claire or any celebrity on David Letterman, where they clearly know each other and have a nice back and forth.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 5th 2007, 5:43 pm

Hee, like Amy Sedaris whenever she is on Letterman - they are so funny together!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 5th 2007, 7:09 pm

It is interesting hearing the actors speculate on what the future might have had in store for their characters. Both Bess and Tom speculate that Patty and Graham's marriage would have been challenged, if not die. Bess speculates that Patty would have had to sell Wood and Jones Printing and commit to Graham's restaurant, since Graham would have been totally committed to the restaurant, in order to salvage the marriage. Tom says that he looked forward to playing Graham as being challenged by a failing marriage. Claire says that she thinks that Angela would have fallen for Brian. Of course, Winnie says that things would have been more complicated, with both Jordan and Brian involved.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Nov 6th 2007, 1:29 pm

Hey everybody,
I don't know about everybody else but I'm really loving the new DVD of MSCL. The special features are very good and to hear Claire Danes, Winnie Holzman and the others talk about it sent goosebumps down my spine. All the cast are looking very well and it was nicwe to hear them speak about the show. I thought the interview with the friends was good but good have been more detailed. Reading Winnie Holzman's comments on the book that accompanied the DVD was reallly interesiting. It would have really been interesting to see Patty and Graham split up, Mr Katimsky fight for his job and how Angela's and Brian's relationship would have developed. I am currently singing 'Red' all the time and it's like going back in time,lol! I hope evrybody else is enjoying it again, we have all waited a very long time for this.

MonnyUK, Birmingham(UK)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 9th 2007, 5:18 pm

So, I came home yesterday from a long day at work to find the DVD set on my doorstep -- my sister had bought it for me. (Who knew getting MSCL on DVD could ever be so easy :mrgreen: ) I love all the pictures in the booklet and the packaging! Looking closer at the packaging, it seems that they tried to update the show with the inclusion of sketches and such. (I'm not really sure how sketches can be dated, or how I can articulate this impression that I have, but the style of the sketches seems very of the moment...).
Anyway, I've read very little of the booklet, but I do love that it exists.
I went straight for the commentary on "Self-Esteem", and was kind of disappointed. What they spoke of was interesting to hear, but mostly it was which friends of Winnie's she cast in the show, and how she and Claire view the characters (mostly nothing terribly illuminating or novel); there were also a lot of gaps with only the show's audio. I liked hearing everything they said (there were two moments I liked a lot, one about the nature of Claire and Tom's relationship was interesting, and then Claire says some awesome line as Angela might have thought it about rebellion and Sharon), but ... there was so much more I wanted to hear about. I wanted to hear more about Hallie, more about what is was like when they were filming the series, I guess what might qualify as 'inside information'. I do like listening to Winnie speak though, it's very soothing. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other commentaries have to offer.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 11th 2007, 1:02 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:So, I came home yesterday from a long day at work to find the DVD set on my doorstep -- my sister had bought it for me. (Who knew getting MSCL on DVD could ever be so easy :mrgreen: ) I love all the pictures in the booklet and the packaging! Looking closer at the packaging, it seems that they tried to update the show with the inclusion of sketches and such. (I'm not really sure how sketches can be dated, or how I can articulate this impression that I have, but the style of the sketches seems very of the moment...).
Anyway, I've read very little of the booklet, but I do love that it exists.
I went straight for the commentary on "Self-Esteem", and was kind of disappointed. What they spoke of was interesting to hear, but mostly it was which friends of Winnie's she cast in the show, and how she and Claire view the characters (mostly nothing terribly illuminating or novel); there were also a lot of gaps with only the show's audio. I liked hearing everything they said (there were two moments I liked a lot, one about the nature of Claire and Tom's relationship was interesting, and then Claire says some awesome line as Angela might have thought it about rebellion and Sharon), but ... there was so much more I wanted to hear about. I wanted to hear more about Hallie, more about what is was like when they were filming the series, I guess what might qualify as 'inside information'. I do like listening to Winnie speak though, it's very soothing. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other commentaries have to offer.
I was surprised and disappointed about the length of dead air during a few of the commentaries as well. Winnie said that "contrary to popular belief" she doesn't sit around and watch episodes of the show all of the time. Well, I think that the commentaries could have been improved if the speakers had watched their episodes at least once ahead of their recording sessions. Often, they didn't have anything to say. Winne apologized for not saying much during one of the commentaries. She was kind of overwhelmed by seeing the episode after so much time had passed since she last saw it. She was touched. That was kind of sweet. However, the silence made the commentary boring.

Jody, you have a great sister. Your sister dropping the DVD set on you is kind of like Graham giving Grateful Dead tickets to Angela and Rayanne.
TomSpeed

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 11th 2007, 6:14 am

I finally gave in and ordered my set from amazon earlier this week. I used the free super saver shipping, so they said to expect my order the week of Thanksgiving. Then it showed up on Friday! I was so busy with other stuff that I still haven't opened even the amazon box yet. I'm really excited to look through the booklet and check out the special features, but now that I know the WH commentary isn't that exciting, at least I know not to spend my first available hour on that.

TomSpeed, I agree that it's really helpful for people to watch the episode at least once as a refresher before recording a commentary. My two pet peeves about commentaries are people who say, "This is where ______ happens," and dead silence. I don't expect every second to be spent with interesting facts, but since I have eyes I don't need someone to tell me what is happening and dead silence is not a commentary! That said, I can understand if someone hasn't watched the episode in a while that they might not have a lot to say during the commentary because they are taking it all in.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Nov 11th 2007, 11:32 am

Are you folks hearing the same episode commentaries that I am? Because my experiences, or reactions, aren't at all like this.

I've heard four of the six thus far: "Pilot," "Other People's Mothers," "Life of Brian," and "Weekend." Each one was anecdotal, insightful, and full of professional respect and stressing of strengths. Especially in regard to the actors, whether from those who hired them ("Pilot" especially) or those who directed or wrote for them.

Devon G and Lisa had intriguing asides about the episodes they narrated. Bess, on two of these, showed she knew about the arcs of characterization that were so strong on this series, and how to play off of them. The directors on "Mothers" and "Brian" showed intricate thought as to how they framed the interactions.

I haven't heard Claire and Winnie on "Self-Esteem" or Wilson, Winnie, and Scott Winant on the Christmas episode, but I'm not expecting to see the quality diminish. Not with the consistent quality this has shown thus far.

Commentaries bring out highlights and asides, and that's what these are doing. And this doesn't have to involve a constant stream of patter. Nonstop talking that's insightful is exceedingly rare, and I've come to realize we shouldn't be expecting it. (It can happen. If you want an example on one of Claire's projects, check out Gillian Armstrong's directorial comments on "Little Women.")

I fear that part of the problem here is that most of us are so over-familiar with the 19 stories, by now, that it's easy to have elaborate mental lists of what we'd like to have expanded upon or explained.

No commentaries will ever fulfill such checklists of ours. Those making them know little to none of the items on them, and it's not their job to know, even if that were possible. The comments are rooted in their experiences and backgrounds, including being interested and surprised at how their work has aged and held up. (Or not. But I've seen little sign of that here.)
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Re:

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 11th 2007, 2:34 pm

Greybird wrote: I fear that part of the problem here is that most of us are so over-familiar with the 19 stories, by now, that it's easy to have elaborate mental lists of what we'd like to have expanded upon or explained.

No commentaries will ever fulfill such checklists of ours. Those making them know little to none of the items on them, and it's not their job to know, even if that were possible. The comments are rooted in their experiences and backgrounds, including being interested and surprised at how their work has aged and held up. (Or not. But I've seen little sign of that here.)
Yes, I understand your point. It would be hard to please us, many of the most ardent fans of the show. My expectations might have been too high. I plan on listening to the commentaries again. There were many good moments. Despite the shortcomings I found, I'm glad that the commentaries are on the DVD set.
TomSpeed

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 13th 2007, 7:48 pm

I haven't gotten through all of the commentaries yet, but I've done everything after "Self-Esteem" (except for the 2nd one for "Angesl") and everything on the bonus disc. I've enjoyed everything else. But I agree with Candygirl -- long pauses where we listen to the actors/crew watching, or where they simply tell us what is happening is a little disappointing/trying. At moments it's neat to hear their responses after not seeing the show for so long, but then again, a little preparation might have done a lot. Greybird, you do make a good point that we can't expect everything we want covered to be covered, and probably for a lot of these people it is their first time giving commentary. I really liked the Wilson & Winnie commentary for "So-Called Angels" -- they both just seem like really genuine people. I'd obviously like to see more commentaries (ala "Freaks and Geeks" with more commentaries than episodes), but overall I am very pleased and very much enjoying these extra features!

PS Emmie: I bought V. Mars season 3 (I split the cost with my boyfriend) ... There's a cool extra of scenes shot for season 4 had it been picked up -- it's pretty fun. And even though season 3 isn't as great as seasons 1 & 2, I'm very happy to have it! Plus, I missed the episode with Paul Rudd when it aired, and now I have it -- I just love him. (Television Without Pity did a great review of the episode; as I watched it, it was as if I had seen everything before.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 13th 2007, 11:21 pm

I devoured the DVD set in a three day viewing marathon. I plan on going through the set again at a slower pace and rereading our forum episode discussions. I've read some of posts again already. Boy, I had a lot of opinions! All of the episode discussions are really good. Anyone new to the forum should check out these discussions in the Show section.
TomSpeed

ikilledkennyandjr
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ikilledkennyandjr » Nov 14th 2007, 11:35 pm

I have to say, the DVD ain't too shabby! The packaging is quite nice and I love all the little doodles on it. Bonus features are great--my favourites were the "Characters" sections and the Danes/Holzman conversation (the latter not just for Claire expressing the want for Angela and Brian to get together, but it was a nice touch :wink:). It's hard to believe how much they've all changed! But yet they still all seem to be good friends. That's sweet.

I agree that the commentaries have some dead air, but... they did the best they could, and it's still interesting. My favourite tidbit is in the Pilot commentary, where they're talking about the scene with Angela getting changed in the bushes. Apparently, Krakow's jersey had the number 8 on it because George in It's A Wonderful Life had that number on his jersey (in the scene with Mary naked behind the bushes, I think?). I thought that was so cool. It's amazing how many homages of that movie are in our show. I guess the Bedford Falls guys love It's A Wonderful Life as much as we love MSCL.
"You know, the karma in this house is like ridiculous. It's really low... or dark... whatever it is that happens to karma."

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Nov 15th 2007, 9:15 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I was surprised and disappointed about the length of dead air during a few of the commentaries as well. Winnie said that "contrary to popular belief" she doesn't sit around and watch episodes of the show all of the time. Well, I think that the commentaries could have been improved if the speakers had watched their episodes at least once ahead of their recording sessions. Often, they didn't have anything to say. Winne apologized for not saying much during one of the commentaries. She was kind of overwhelmed by seeing the episode after so much time had passed since she last saw it. She was touched. That was kind of sweet. However, the silence made the commentary boring.

Jody, you have a great sister. Your sister dropping the DVD set on you is kind of like Graham giving Grateful Dead tickets to Angela and Rayanne.
I was also disappointed by Winnie and Claire's commentary on "Self-Esteem", but I thought the commentary for "Pilot" and "Other People's Mothers" were absolutely fantastic. "Life Of Brian" was okay, but I wish Devon Gummersall had more input in it. I'm of two minds about whether they should've seen the episodes before doing commentary: I think it's nice that it's new to them all over again, but it would've given them something to think about and say if they'd seen it once or twice before doing it. Overall, though, I am in love with this set! Kinda wish Jared was involved (I know he was on tour), but Claire, Winnie, Ed, and Marshall give him shout-outs in their commentaries and interviews and I thought that was really great.
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."