2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Re: 2007 Region 1 Complete Set Rerelease (ShoutFactory)

Post by MonnyUK2 » Nov 19th 2007, 11:41 am

Hey everybody,
Having watched the series right through over the past few weeks I am watching it again. I watched the 'Pilot' last night with the commentaries. I have to agree with what people have said and I think in they maybe could have watched them first. You can imagine for them as the makers of the show it would be very emotional watching it after all this time. It was clear in the commentary of 'Self Esteem' that Claire Danes couldn't remember some of the scenes she had shot. I think that is to be expected. they are not like us fans who know every scene and episode inside out. I also think that maybe Claire Danes and Devon Gummersall could have done a commentary on 'In Dreams Come Responsibilities' with Winnie Holzman. What do you guys think? This was the last episode. I was disappointed that there wasn't a commentary on this episode.

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Nov 20th 2007, 11:04 am

MonnyUK2 wrote:Hey everybody,
Having watched the series right through over the past few weeks I am watching it again. I watched the 'Pilot' last night with the commentaries. I have to agree with what people have said and I think in they maybe could have watched them first. You can imagine for them as the makers of the show it would be very emotional watching it after all this time. It was clear in the commentary of 'Self Esteem' that Claire Danes couldn't remember some of the scenes she had shot. I think that is to be expected. they are not like us fans who know every scene and episode inside out. I also think that maybe Claire Danes and Devon Gummersall could have done a commentary on 'In Dreams Come Responsibilities' with Winnie Holzman. What do you guys think? This was the last episode. I was disappointed that there wasn't a commentary on this episode.
I agree. Having Devon, Winnie, and Claire do commentary for "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities" would've been great. They would've been able to tell us exactly where they would have put Angela, Jordan, and Brian as well as what they felt during the filming. I have to say that I was very moved by Wilson Cruz and Winnie doing commentary for "So-Called Angels". During the last scenes, they couldn't even speak because they were so emotional.
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Nov 20th 2007, 6:36 pm

My boxset arrived today and just watched the pilot. Love it and it is a first class set, thanks Shout!
I really enjoyed the first commentary. Sure there are some dead air but who cares. It's nice getting a bit of a walk through of the making of the episode and some interesting facts thrown in. Wish everyone episode had one.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 18th 2008, 5:16 am

The MSCL set gets mentioned in an article about an upcoming Shout! DVD project: The rerelease of the "Sports Night" DVDs. According to this article in Home Media Magazine, the MSCL DVDs sold very well:
Shout! Factory had worked with Disney on the new “My So-Called Life” set, which proved a hit with fans — the 2007 edition has already outsold BMG’s bare-bones 2002 release, according to Nielsen Video-Scan data.

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » May 20th 2008, 10:59 pm

Sascha (sab) wrote:The MSCL set gets mentioned in an article about an upcoming Shout! DVD project: The rerelease of the "Sports Night" DVDs. According to this article in Home Media Magazine, the MSCL DVDs sold very well:
Shout! Factory had worked with Disney on the new “My So-Called Life” set, which proved a hit with fans — the 2007 edition has already outsold BMG’s bare-bones 2002 release, according to Nielsen Video-Scan data.

That is amazing news! I really hope it continues to sell well; the cast/crew deserves it!
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.

Nico Darko
Frozen Embryo

Post by Nico Darko » Dec 14th 2008, 12:08 pm

DVDeeva wrote:DVD Verdict's review says there are no subtitles. BUT THERE ARE CLOSED CAPTIONS ON THE EPISODES.

That's a fact.
Hum... I just bought the dvds, and there are no closed captions... or you had a different set than mine.
That's too bad, it's nice to have english subtitles when you're not a native speaker... but I'm still glad to finally have the show on dvd, and the book with the tribute by Joss Whedon is just wonderful !

Yukino
Tino

Post by Yukino » Mar 17th 2009, 1:41 pm

I bought my dvd boxset of My So-Called Life on dvdpacific.com it arrived about 1 month ago. I haven't watched it all yet, but I can't wait to watch the episodes with commentaries and check the extras and rewatch this amazing tv serie. I was a bit disapointed that the keepcase of my dvd box set is softcover and not hardcover like the earlier releases of this dvd box set by Shoutfactory. But i'm glad I have My So-Called Life dvd box set on my collection. I think Shoutfactory did a great job specially if you compare it to the first dvd release (I forgot what company released it) of MSCL.
Ah! I loved the little book that came with the boxset too! :)

Hum... I just bought the dvds, and there are no closed captions... or you had a different set than mine.
That's too bad, it's nice to have english subtitles when you're not a native speaker... but I'm still glad to finally have the show on dvd, and the book with the tribute by Joss Whedon is just wonderful !
If i'm not mistaken there's no menu to turn on/off subs, but maybe the eng closed caption were formated as subtitles, so you can turn it on/off using the dvd player remote control while the video is running. If this doesn't work, it probably means the closed caption were encoded like the closed captions of tv channels... so in order to see the closed caption you need a TV that is able to show closed caption, and to turn it on you need to use the tv remote control.

Tish
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Tish » Apr 11th 2009, 8:16 pm

Thank you Shout factory! I know I'm a late comer to this topic but I just got the MSCL DVDs last Christmas and I LOVE them! :D I'm too embassed to mention how many episodes I watch weekly and it's never been like this for any other show that I have on DVD. Angela, Rickie, RAyanne, Brian, Jordan, Sharon--yes even Kyle Vinnovich are like old friends I've been reunited with. I cried again for Rickie in My So Called Angels, and I like the commentaries. It was a pleasure to see grown up versions of the cast on the 6th disc, everybody looked great. The whole DVD set is great and I never get tired of it.
"i am a punk rocker, and i fight for justice!"

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Packaging queries

Post by Greybird » Jul 15th 2009, 9:26 pm

~ The one weakness of the 2007 edition's packaging is that the clear-plastic mountings for the six discs are quite fragile. I've had one of them break on me already, which means that Disc 2 keeps wanting to fall out of the inner container when I open it.

Anyone else have this problem? Unfortunately, there's no away around it with this deluxe packaging, as it doesn't have DVD wraparound graphics you can transfer to a new case.

~ Does the 2007 edition "mark two" indeed have a soft-ish outer shell, as some have alluded to on Amazon.com? And is the book the same size and format as it was originally?

Not that I'm in the market for replacing my set, but I might want to buy it to give as a gift.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Post by His_Girl_Red » Aug 3rd 2009, 10:04 pm

I have the original "booklike" box set they released in 2007, but the smaller, more compact packaging of the second round of sets is the same thing that's in the big set, just no cardboardy outer shell. My friend has the smaller set and it's really not much different than mine.
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.