Re-release? Hey it's worth a shot

ShoutFactory.com will release on October 30, 2007 a new DVD set in the United States featuring serveral hours of new bonus material.
cmc
Frozen Embryo

Re-release? Hey it's worth a shot

Post by cmc » May 7th 2005, 3:37 am

I found this online. Maybe one day they might re-release it, if it gets enough signatures.

http://www.petitiononline.com/MSCL/petition.html

golden1
Tino

Post by golden1 » May 16th 2005, 4:04 am

Signed it. Only 51 signatures =(

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » May 22nd 2005, 1:57 am

I don't think that BMG even holds the rights to MSCL anymore, and therefore cannot release any more DVDs.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

demure_enigma
Tino

Post by demure_enigma » May 25th 2005, 11:46 am

so than who owns the rights? I just want to get a good show on DVD they have Mash out why not My So Called Life?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 25th 2005, 12:09 pm

Buena Vista/Disney holds the rights at the moment as far as we know. You might also be interested in this topic with more details.

Beelzebubba123
Frozen Embryo

Post by Beelzebubba123 » Jun 29th 2005, 2:54 pm

I wrote Disney/Buena Vista at the beginning of 2005, asking about who oned the rights. After much confusion on Disney's part, they finally informed me that the rights had once again gone back to BMG.

I don't know if that's correct, but it's what they told me.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 18th 2005, 12:08 am

The show is actively being shopped around now and probably will end up being re-released within the next year. (not by BV)

Apparently all music issues are either cleared or close to it.

That's all I know but I thought I'd share it anyway.

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Jul 18th 2005, 12:49 am

Hey Jason...That is pretty cool news. I am sure you don't have a whole lot of details, but in your opinion do you think it will just be re-released as is or reworked to improve video quality? I have my doubts but would love to see it done even better than the first time around. I still want to see that museum of radio/television bonus feature that we hoped for with the original release. Oh yeah, and I am still waiting for that t-shirt from Another Universe.

kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Jul 18th 2005, 12:57 am

(Jason, I just had flashbacks to the excitement of waiting for the first release and all the drama and ups and downs that went with it. Specifically, I was thinking of the night you received the check discs and had your all night marathon and webcasted it. I remember sitting there watching your webcam for hours with MSCl playing in the background. I think it was me and Nostradomus messaging you through most of the night. Ah...good times. Just wanted to let you know that I still appreciate all the time you invested getting the DVDs out in the first place.)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 18th 2005, 1:14 am

kappster wrote:Hey Jason...That is pretty cool news. I am sure you don't have a whole lot of details, but in your opinion do you think it will just be re-released as is or reworked to improve video quality? I have my doubts but would love to see it done even better than the first time around. I still want to see that museum of radio/television bonus feature that we hoped for with the original release. Oh yeah, and I am still waiting for that t-shirt from Another Universe.
I'm not sure that much can be done regarding the video quality. The masters are still the same. You can digitally clean some things up but not without introducing other things (artifacts of filtering).

Hopefully this will be a better release. I did inform one of the parties involved (and it is a very cool label) about the Museum of TV and Radio material and also that, if memory serves me, some of the creators were willing (but not asked by BMG, because BMG didn't want to spend any money recording anything extra) to record commentary tracks.

This project defined a very unique period in my life. It almost bankrupted me, yet it also taught me virtually everything I know now. So much has happened between then and now -- Ross Rojek is in prison, I've been diagnosed with (and hopefully already cured of) cancer (seminoma, found April 21 and since treated with surgery and radiation). Puts everything else in perspective and helps me understand where something like this fits in.

Once a deal is finalized, I'm sure the fans will have no problem letting the label know about the types of extras they want to see.

Jason

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 21st 2005, 4:55 am

Jason R wrote:The show is actively being shopped around now and probably will end up being re-released within the next year. (not by BV)

Apparently all music issues are either cleared or close to it.
Now that's some good news. With sets selling for over $150 at ebay it's really about time to do a re-release. Hopefully they'll do it the right way this time. If only a label like Shout Factory would pick it up. I love what they've done with shows like "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared". They defined a new standard in this business.
Jason R wrote:I've been diagnosed with (and hopefully already cured of) cancer (seminoma, found April 21 and since treated with surgery and radiation)
Whoa, that's really bad news. Seminoma seems to affect lately a lot of (young) men, a friend of mine also got diagnosed with it last year. But thank god it's curable -- Lance Armstrong is an amazing example. I wish you all the best!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 21st 2005, 8:30 am

I think that the hindsight of the last few years of DVD releases raises the bar somewhat, and that any release today will have much more in the way of bonus material.

As for the seminoma, part of me is convinced that keeping my cell phone in my pocket contributed to it, but then agan, my grandfather had it at exactly the same age. They are still trying to determine if heredity is a risk factor, and the same can be said for cell phones, to tell the truth.

The cure rate is pretty solid when you do what the doctors tell you and throw everything you can at it. I opted for radiation, which some say lowers the recurrence rate from 40% to 5%. (not that radiation is not without other risks, but from a risk-benefit perspective, it was a no-brainer for me).

I've been lucky that the cancer did not affect my ability to make a living -- I had some days when I felt pretty sick (ironically it was from the treatments, not from the cancer), but not so bad that I couldn't work. Now, 3 months past the surgery, I'm arguably healthier than I was before all of this happened -- nothing motivates your fitness and diet more than something like this. Just need to get checked every 3 months for 5 years and stay in remission.

Best
Jason

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 21st 2005, 2:56 pm

Wow, definitely a good news/bad news post. Although I do have my AU set, I would gladly pay for a F&G type treatment of MSCL. I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. I'm not surprised you kicked its ass - we all know you're a fighter! Best wishes to you and your wife.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Ashley
Frozen Embryo

Post by Ashley » Aug 17th 2005, 1:57 pm

Jason R wrote: Hopefully this will be a better release. I did inform one of the parties involved (and it is a very cool label) about the Museum of TV and Radio material and also that, if memory serves me, some of the creators were willing (but not asked by BMG, because BMG didn't want to spend any money recording anything extra) to record commentary tracks.

This project defined a very unique period in my life. It almost bankrupted me, yet it also taught me virtually everything I know now. So much has happened between then and now -- Ross Rojek is in prison, I've been diagnosed with (and hopefully already cured of) cancer (seminoma, found April 21 and since treated with surgery and radiation). Puts everything else in perspective and helps me understand where something like this fits in.

Once a deal is finalized, I'm sure the fans will have no problem letting the label know about the types of extras they want to see.

Jason
wow I'm new here but I'm still glad to hear that you're now cancer free.

I became a fan of MSCL very recently watching it on family channel at 11 every night, and I am in love with this show! I don't really care about extras or anything(although they would be nice), I just want to be able to get the show on DVD, and on top of that, for a reasonable price. There's no way I could possibly shell out the $200-300 people are asking for now on eBay/amazon...especially when they could be bootleg copies. I'm still trying to find a boxed set in stores but I think I'm out of luck. If you have any other information on another release of the DVDs please keep us posted...I'm DYING to get this show on DVD. Thanks soooo much.

mog
Liberty High Student

Post by mog » Jan 6th 2006, 12:40 pm

i don't see why they were put in stores if they were going to be out of print eventually.

i wish they'd re-release them in a nice compact fold-out package. i hate sets that come with regular DVD cases. but i'm anal that way, lol.

anyway, i love my set i just wish they'd re-do it. i'd sell mine and purchase the new version.

while they're at it, they could re-convert the video. ugh.