Chat Room Fixed

Discussion on bringing the show back on tv. Is "My So-Called Life" going to be shown in your country? Note: See international airdates from the last years here.
BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Chat Room Fixed

Post by BeeJay » Oct 2nd 1999, 4:31 am

Hey everyone! Our moderator, Mike Glenn fixed the Chat function and the room is now up and working. He did this on Friday afternoon 10/1 about 4:30 PDT. So, what I'd like to do is test it out before scheduling another Chat Time. I've been in there and everything seems to be OK. But, being of a cautious nature, I'd like to test it with at least one other person, and more would be better. So, this being the weekend, I'll be checking the discussion board periodically on Saturday and Sunday. If anyone would like to check out the chat room with me, send me a message at http://www.nowhereman68@hotmail.com and we can go in together and see how it works.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Chat Room Fixed

Post by emmie » Oct 2nd 1999, 5:22 pm

I tried it out just now and it seemed to be working okay. I also had forgotten about the chat, I was so excited about going to the Indigo Girls concert that night. but anyway....I'm up for a new chat time and major brainstorming!!

emmie

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 4th 1999, 1:22 am

Well. The response to the Chat Room having been fixed is just "underwhelming"!

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Oct 4th 1999, 9:13 am

I've just been into the chat room, and aside from its being deserted, it seems to be working fine. Let's set up another chat soon!

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: Chat Room Fixed / MSCL revived

Post by oldguy » Oct 6th 1999, 2:57 am

Hi,

Sorry that the response was underwhelming. I can only say
that I tend to think that the fact that anybody goes to this web
page at all is amazing. I mean, I'm as big a fan as anybody of
MSCL. But the show has been gone for awhile. Frankly, there's
little evidence of the claim that you see when you come to this
web site... that the show has "changed the lives of millions."
Maybe thousands... but I doubt that many are that interested.
Probably only a small handful of people (10-20 at most) frequently
communicate at this site. I personally think the hope of influencing
MTV is miniscule. But I admire all of you for your love for the show,
which I completely agree was the best show aired on TV. I just
can't get excited about contacting MTV, because I don't think they
care one wit what the 10 or 20 of us think about re-airing the show.

I love this web site. I think MSCL was a great show and I think the
web site is extremely well-done (My complements to Glenn ---
Excellent web site!!). But all I really hope is that somebody will
release the last seven shows on video --- and then I don't care one bit
whether the show is ever aired on TV again.

Sorry for my cynical mood, but I felt like airing it out tonight,

OldGuy

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 6th 1999, 12:46 pm

Unfortunately, your observations concerning the numbers of interested people visiting this site are 'right on'. I do believe now that 10 or 20 people, no matter how devoted, dedicated or motivated they are, will have absolutely no influence over the re-airing of mscl on mtv. Sadly, our 'crusade' seems doomed to fail.

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Oct 6th 1999, 4:59 pm

Sadly, I agree. I was hoping that people would get the word out to other sites/fans (etc.( but that doesn't seem to be happening...Any suggestions on where to go from here?

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 6th 1999, 5:31 pm

I definitely think that we need to figure out another chat time where we can all talk about how we are going to go about this 'crusade'. I think the reason that we are all so cynical about this is because we've postponed the chat. Perhaps, once we get together, the ideas will start flowing, and we will be inspired once more. Also, I hear that TV networks count each letter as if it were worth 1,000 viewers. If 20+ of us write in, that's 20,000 viewers that they are considering, and that might make an impact. And you are all right--perhaps we CAN'T make a difference, but I don't think any of us will be content with ourselves unless we try. Isn't it worth the effort, even if we may possibly fail?

P.S. I am going to suggest in my letter that they take a look at some of the guestbooks and message boards on some MSCL sites---most of those messages are BEGGING MTV to put MSCL back on. This may prove that there are SO many others out there than just the 20 of us.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 6th 1999, 5:49 pm

You have mentioned more than once that "other" mscl sites are out there and that "this and that" is being said, or going on, or whatever. Would you be so kind as to list these "other" mscl sites? Perhaps directly contacting those sites could generate some 'grass-roots' interest in our crusade.

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Oct 6th 1999, 11:11 pm

While I see everyone's point, I'd say I would have to agree with angelika on this one. As I've said before, I think that there are a whole lot of people that would like to see MSCL re-run that aren't necessarily searching for it on the net. I have friends that LOVE MSCL as much as I do, but they aren't into fan fiction or fan sites even, so they don't come. BUT, when I asked them if they would write to MTV, they said yes, definitely. See my new post for more.

Tracey

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Oct 7th 1999, 7:39 am

I just had to touch on this one.

The fact is that I do believe the show has touched millions of lives. There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't receive 3 or more emails from people telling me how they love the site and the show. Just look at the guestbook (Wilson just posted!) . No its not millions but its alot. Also in my talks with Steve Joyner its clear that that OLS was huge! On the order of 200,000 people. Now I will agree that the number of dedicated fans is shinking but the fact that a 5 year old show that ran for 19 episodes still has the following it has is amazing. Sure, new episodes will never be made. But getting MTV to reshow the episodes is by no means impossible. Its more of a licensing issue than anything else.

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 7th 1999, 6:15 pm

Oh my goodness!! I searched MSCL under http://www.dogpile.com, and it gave me HUNDREDS of links. Some of them are no good, but the majority are. Here are some that I found. If you want to look for more, check out dogpile--it's an excellent search engine!!

mscl.tvheaven.com
mysocalledlife.cjb.net
musenet.org/oppsie/mscl
home.sn.no/~ssneen/mscl.html
http://www.cgstv.com
http://www.angelfire.com/md/galaxie7321/dmscl.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens?487/mscl.html
http://www.muskoka.com/~ash/pmscl.html
users.aol.com/msclweb/index.htm
http://www.bubis.com/wkil/Page/my_so_ca ... page1.html
http://www.clairedanes.com

This should get the ball rolling...

-angelika

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Oct 7th 1999, 7:48 pm

Many thanks, Angelika.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Oct 8th 1999, 5:49 pm

You are welcome!! Good luck on spreading the news! The effort that you are putting into this is amazing--I think it's great! :-)

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Jan 2nd 2000, 9:00 pm

I know I am a bit late on all this but I think there are a lot more fans then just 10-20, we just have to find them. Let's get another chat time together. Someone pick a date and time( I would but have no idea what's a good time for everyone)and I'll come and I'll try to get as many mscl fans as I can. Sorry this is so late.