"My So-Called Life" on ABC.com

Discussion on bringing the show back on tv. Is "My So-Called Life" going to be shown in your country? Note: See international airdates from the last years here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

"My So-Called Life" on ABC.com

Post by Sascha » Dec 1st 2007, 7:58 am

The complete pilot episode of "My So-Called Life" is now available as a free web stream over at ww.abc.com. It looks like they'll put one episode online each Friday. (Of course, the stream is only available for users from the United States).

Thanks to Rachel for the tip!

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Dec 2nd 2007, 4:38 pm

Proxy servers exist to make it look as if you're in the U.S., although I don't have any locations.

These do have ads, as well. From the FAQ:

"Do I need to watch all of the advertisements?

"You can't advance the episode beyond an ad break until you have watched the ad for at least 30 seconds. The advertisements are placed at three breaks during an hour-long show and two breaks for a half-hour show."

It requires a plug-in player. Although these typically are ActiveX controls, and thus requiring Interfering Exploder, the FAQ says that Firefox is supported.

Installing new software for accessing one Website is getting to be old, wearying, and a security risk to boot.

Better thirteen years too late for such promotion on ABC's part than never, but I'm not going to bother, not with the new — and, natch, ad-free — DVD set.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Dec 2nd 2007, 4:47 pm

Oh, and as to streaming outside the U.S., from the tech staff's blog:

"Why can't I watch the shows outside of the U.S.?

"[...] Contrary to popular opinion, the main reason we can't allow use of the [plug-in] Player outside the U.S. is not because of the advertising, but actually because ABC doesn't always own the rights to stream television shows in foreign territories.

"For example, 'Lost' is aired on Sky One in the U.K., and it has the distribution rights for that territory. I should also mention that, in many cases, foreign territories might be a season or more behind the U.S., as well.

"So as much as we'd love to, the foreign rights holders would probably be awfully upset if we just opened up our player internationally! Bummer ..."
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

bonitalife
Frozen Embryo

Re: "My So-Called Life" on ABC.com

Post by bonitalife » Dec 4th 2007, 8:30 pm

OMG! This is so cool! I am so glad that in the world of "The Hills" and "Laguna Beach" that my favorite teenage show is being made available to teens of today. I still think this show is revolutionary after 15 years, and I am sure it will be a refreshing change from the bubblegum shows that are out there now. It was so great to relive the first episode again with Angela (sigh, good times) - you can count me in for getting the DVD...

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 4th 2007, 11:11 pm

while I think it's great that ABC has decided to show the episodes onine, I can't help but be a little disgusted with the obvious hypocrisy. guess I'm still bitter.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Dec 8th 2007, 11:55 am

emmie wrote:while I think it's great that ABC has decided to show the episodes onine, I can't help but be a little disgusted with the obvious hypocrisy. guess I'm still bitter.
I feel the same way.

The network never really believed in the show, so for them to want to play it now to try to make a few bucks, doesn't sit right with me.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."