MSCL to air on "The N/Noggin" (USA) in April 2004

Discussion on bringing the show back on tv. Is "My So-Called Life" going to be shown in your country? Note: See international airdates from the last years here.
TessD1891
Overlooked Sibling

MSCL to air on "The N/Noggin" (USA) in April 2004

Post by TessD1891 » Dec 19th 2003, 10:30 pm

I have DirecTV here in the States. One channel is called Noggin during the day and airs children's shows. Then at night they call it The N and airs shows aimed at teens. There's a commercial for 2004 shows on The N and MSCL is there - Angela and Jared. So it looks like MSCL is coming in January to this channel. If you get Noggin/The N, watch for it! (Or save time and watch the DVD. wink, wink)

Admin Note: I changed the thread title. sab.
Brian, we're not talking about wallpaper here, are we.

lixxie
Tino

Post by lixxie » Dec 22nd 2003, 12:45 am

I read about that on another board.. that's awesome, but I don't get the channel so it sucks!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 23rd 2003, 1:10 am

It's good to see MSCL getting some exposure again, though Noggin has been known to censor its programming (Daria, for example).

:?

Of course, I have the dvds, so...

:D

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Dec 23rd 2003, 12:35 pm

Revivals can increase exposure for the show and possibly increase sales of the DVD set. I'm sure there are some people who haven't yet heard of MSCL. It's shocking, but true.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

MSCL on "The N" in April 2004

Post by Sascha » Jan 28th 2004, 5:04 am

Here's the complete press release from "The Noggin" (never heard of this channel before)

To make a long story short: MSCL will air starting on April 2nd 2004 each Friday.

Noggin/N PR: "My So-Called Life"
posted by tvbarn on January 27, 2004 10:54 AM

CELEBRATES THE 10th ANNIVERSARY OF "MY SO-CALLED LIFE" AS

THE GROUNDBREAKING TEEN DRAMA JOINS THE NETWORK'S SCHEDULE FRIDAY, APRIL 2

ACCLAIMED CULT HIT STARRING CLAIRE DANES AND JARED LETO

PREMIERES TO A NEW GENERATION OF TEENS

"My So-Called Life" To Air Friday Nights At 8:00 p.m. (ET), On The Heels Of The N's "Degrassi: The Next Generation"

*(Tapes and art available upon request)

New York, NY, January 27, 2004 - Hailed by critics as "the only authentic portrait of a teenager a tv show has ever presented," "magnificently written and acted," "the best girls' coming-of-age show ever done," and "a grasp of adolescence that's so real you can smell the Clearasil," My So-Called Life returns to television, only on

The N.

The N, the nighttime network for teens, has acquired the exclusive broadcast rights for all 19 episodes of the acclaimed series. The hour-long drama, which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year, will premiere on The N on Friday, April 2 at 8:00 p.m. (ET) and 10:00 p.m. (ET). A new generation of viewers will be introduced to the cult hit that launched the careers of Claire Danes (Terminator 3, Romeo & Juliet), Jared Leto (Panic Room, Requiem for a Dream), Wilson Cruz (Broadway's Rent, FOX's Party Of Five) and A.J. Langer (NBC's Three Sisters).

My So-Called Life will air regularly Friday nights from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (ET), immediately following back-to-back episodes of Degrassi: The Next Generation (7:00 - 8:00 p.m., ET). Both series explore difficult and complex issues that are relevant to teens today.

"My So-Called Life was the first prime-time teen drama to delve into adolescence in a realistic and uncompromising manner, which is consistent with our network's mission to be the authentic voice for teens," said Sarah Tomassi Lindman, VP, Production and Programming, The N. "Some things change, but some things never change, and like its Degrassi lead-in, My So-Called Life will engage The N's viewers with an honest depiction of timeless teen issues."

My So-Called Life, executive produced by Edward Zwick (Thirty-Something) and Marshall Herskovitz, is set in Three Rivers, a fictional suburb of Pittsburgh, PA, and centers on Angela Chase (CLAIRE DANES), an articulate 15-year-old sophomore at Liberty High. Angela is at a crucial turning point in her so-called life - the onset of adolescence, an angst-ridden search for identity and the requisite teenage rebellion against family, old friends and benign authority figures. Viewers eavesdrop on a monologue of Angela's thoughts which range from the esoteric ("School is a battlefield - for your heart"), to the confessional ("I cannot bring myself to eat a well-balanced meal in front of my mother"), to the refreshingly mundane ("Okay, so I have a zit").

At school, she is flanked by childhood friends, Sharon Cherski (DEVON ODESSA) and Brian Krakow (DEVON GUMMERSALL); the quirky duo Rayanne Graff (A.J. LANGER) and Enrique "Rickie" Vasquez (WILSON CRUZ); and resident enigma Jordan Catalano (JARED LETO) -- the object of Angela's intense but unrequited infatuation. The series also focuses on Angela's parents, Patty (BESS ARMSTRONG) and Graham (TOM IRWIN) - baby-boomers experiencing their own mid-life growing pains, and Angela's oft-forgotten 10-year-old sister Danielle (LISA WILHOIT).

Meet the So-Called characters:

Angela Chase - Liberty High sophomore and former Girl Scout in search of her true identity. She distanced herself from her parents and childhood friends, Sharon and Brian. She hangs with Rickie and Rayanne, pines for Jordan and has only been kissed four times.
Jordan Catalano - Mysterious loner and high school junior left back two years, probably due to his difficulty reading. He is interested in Angela, but has a hard time expressing himself. He sings, plays guitar, writes music, really loves his car and can get a good fake ID.
Rayanne Marie Graff - A free-spirited sophomore with a bad reputation, whose father left when she was very young. She can't take care of herself so she watches out for Rickie and Angela. She shows up for classes she's not in and has a weakness for bad guys and alcohol.
Enrique "Rickie" Vasquez - The offbeat gay sophomore and resident romantic tries to protect Rayanne from self-destructing. The half-hispanic, half-black drama club member is a devout Catholic who comes from an abusive home. He once had a crush on Jordan.
Brian Krakow - The brainy sophomore is the school's likely future-valedictorian who is completely clueless in the extracurricular matters of the heart. He is a social outcast, and a not-so-secret admirer of Angela - his long-time neighbor and acquaintance.
Sharon Cherski - The perpetual good girl is Angela's former best friend, having survived Girl Scouts and tonsillectomies together. The pink-wearing, perky sophomore is an Oboe player, yearbook staffer, World Happiness Dance organizer and Teen Hotline volunteer.
Patricia "Patty" Wood Chase - Angela's 40-year-old mom is a baby-boomer, and like Angela, in search of her true identity. The former Queen of her class has known her husband Graham, since high school, and struggles to put some excitement back into their relationship.
Graham Chase - Angela's 40-year-old father is in search of his own place in life and attempts to understand the seemingly mundane and predictable state of his marriage. He was close with Angela before her newfound womanhood and independence came between.
Danielle Chase - Angela's perpetually unnoticed 10-year-old sister is a Girl Scout with a major crush on Brian. She excels in gymnastics, talking without people hearing, and is most likely to be kicked out of the room for no reason.

My So-Called Life was produced by The Bedford Falls Company in association with ABC Productions. Created and co-executive produced by Winnie Holtzman, its executive producers are Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick; Scott Winant is co-executive producer. The series made its debut on ABC on Thursday, August 25, 1994.

The N, the nighttime network for teens, is currently available in 38 million households via cable, digital cable and satellite television. The N's mission is to be the authentic voice for teens and help them figure out their lives with relevant, topical programming on-air and online at the network's web site . The N airs everyday from 6:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. (ET). The N and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom International Inc.
http://www.tvbarn.com/ticker/archives/018446.html

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 28th 2004, 2:05 pm

IIRC Noggin shows The Adventures of Pete & Pete, and for that Noggin kicks much ass. The new Degrassi sucks though IMO. Good to see MSCL showing up on the network.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 28th 2004, 9:36 pm

What do they mean "tapes and art available upon request"

:?:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jan 29th 2004, 5:14 am

Nostradamus wrote:What do they mean "tapes and art available upon request"

:?:
It's an official press release. So if you are an journalist and want to write about that press release, you'd probably want some images (art) to spruce up your article. And I guess you can also get tapes of a few episodes to review for a newspaper. It's a common term in press releases.

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Current info on The N's showings

Post by Greybird » Mar 28th 2004, 8:13 am

I checked the full schedule available at The N's Website --
http://www.the-n.com/ntv/schedule.php

~ Each "MSCL" episode is shown Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings, and at the same three times each night. First up, on 2-4 April, is "Dancing in the Dark."

~ Only one satellite feed, so its times are 8 pm, 10 pm, and 12 am Eastern time, and 5 pm, 7 pm, and 9 pm Pacific time. (Note that daylight time will resume on the morning of 4 April.)

~ The episodes are apparently to be shown in order, apart from their mysterious decision to not begin with the pilot. (The January news release contends that The N does have broadcast rights to all episodes.) "Guns and Gossip" begins on 9 April and "Father Figures" on 16 April.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

TessD1891
Overlooked Sibling

Post by TessD1891 » Mar 28th 2004, 11:05 am

Yes, and the channel has been showing commercials for MSCL consisting of a combination of short clips from the show (a few seconds at a time), teens talking about the show, and also some others talking about the show, such as editor of Jane magazine Jane Pratt. These commercials are sort of fast paced going between people and show, and include for example:

-adult woman from a magazine or something says "In the first episode Angela dyes her hair red"
-angela at dinner with the family from that episode "it's not red"
-two teen girls on a couch "it's crimson glow"
-et cetera for two or three minutes

another talks about Jordan Catalano, something about how every school has a guy like him and that saying his full name adds to an unspeakable power he has

one talks about Rayanne, one talks about Rickie (these may be the same one)

basically, the commercials are a couple minutes long and introduce those four characters so that when the show starts, the N's target demographic, who obviously never saw the show ten years ago, will know some basic information.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 28th 2004, 11:43 am

"The N" website also maintains a special MSCL forum: http://www.the-n.com/mb/viewforum.php?f=2623

Geez, that is *really* a "new generation of teens"... :shock: Some of them are discussing how a show from the 90's can be any good :) I'm getting old... But at least they also have the "JORDAN IS SOOOO HOT" fangroup ;-).

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 28th 2004, 1:25 pm

Nostradamus wrote:It's good to see MSCL getting some exposure again, though Noggin has been known to censor its programming (Daria, for example).
It can't possibly be as bad as what Fox Family did to MSCL. The pilot episode was missing several scenes and edits of the word "damn." :o
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

First "The N" episode

Post by Greybird » Apr 6th 2004, 4:56 am

Well, with "Dancing in the Dark," at least ... not one word cut, not one scene omitted, full credits, perfect picture and sound. In fact, it apparently had two steps above the original MTV showings: no commercial break after the opening credits -or- before the end credits, and -- although I can't quite tell -- apparently no time compression.

Full end credits, as well, by the way, with one addition after the ABC Productions "woooooah": Buena Vista Television. Even the commercials, mostly for The N's lineup, were less obtrusive. I didn't bother with the mute button.

I was struck once again by the glowing interior light, far apart from the normal harsh sitcom lighting and garish drama lighting. The shadings weren't lost, either. That, to me, shows The N took some technical care to transmit it properly.

What did we do to deserve all this? And with nine showings each weekend, to easily introduce the newbies, as I am with my younger brother? I can't think of a thing {grin}

Well, one thing. When will they show the pilot? I fell back on my tape, so that my bro wouldn't be too lost. One of the few double-edged-swordish virtues of "MSCL": It's not easy to come in after its beginning and pick up the story. That gave richness to the narrative and complexity to the many characters, but also made more casual or word-of-mouth new viewing more difficult.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 6th 2004, 5:41 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:"The N" website also maintains a special MSCL forum: http://www.the-n.com/mb/viewforum.php?f=2623
Thats soo cool reading all those posts. I absolutely love how they all think its from the 80s. Geeze, we didn't look that bad, did we? Wow, with the Cobain memorials, and now this coming up, I've just realized it has been 10 years since I went through all that 'starting highschool' junk. Wow. Early 90's. How weird.

Ok, now I feel old.

Has anyone posted on their boards how there is this whole communitiy of old geezers who watched it when it first game on? Maybe we should send an ambassador over to lead them this way. :)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 6th 2004, 9:08 am

The advertising on their forum is annoying. A popup window opens, but when you click on close, the entire browser window is closed. I read some of the posts. Many of the kids seem not to like the show.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/