Revival

Discussion on bringing the show back on tv. Is "My So-Called Life" going to be shown in your country? Note: See international airdates from the last years here.
mia
Yearbook Team

Revival

Post by mia » Aug 30th 1999, 10:25 am

I'm interested in getting MSCL back on the air in syndication. I'm sure we all are. I'm looking for ideas on how we might accomplish this, like petitions, etc. The thing is, we need something concrete to show the network execs, so anything in an electronic format probably won't cut it. If anyone has any ideas, please respond!

~Mia

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Revival

Post by BeeJay » Aug 30th 1999, 12:41 pm

I, for one, would love to see mscl back on the air. I believe MTV has the rights to it in the USA. That's where I first saw the show. Sooo, it seems to me that that would be good place to start, assuming you live in the US.

Also, I'm not sure that electronic mail is useless or ineffective. What's your experience there?

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Aug 30th 1999, 1:22 pm

In my experience with lobbying my state Congress, it has been my experience that electronic communications are MUCH easier to ignore. It's not taken as seriously as paper communications, because it's perceived as less time-consumming and easier to send. I read a statistic somewhere once that said 1 letter represents 10 e-mails to the people who receive it. Plus, it takes no effort at all to delete the messages in an electronic mailbox. Throwing out bags of mail or petitions, however, might have some impact. Therefore, I think that while electronic communications is one resource we should use, I don't think it should be where our main focus lies. I say we start Operation Life Support up again and start a massive letter writing campaign, or something to that effect. We need to pool our mental resources and come up with something that will pack a huge punch. Any thoughts?

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 30th 1999, 3:32 pm

You make a very convincing point; and I agree totally. However, I am a bit skeptical when it comes to marshalling support for this sort of campaign.

Letters to the station sound like a workable plan, but petitions - too difficult to circulate. And, getting three or more people (on this forum at least) to agree on anything is an accomplishment in itself.

You have my support in whatever form that may take.

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Aug 30th 1999, 3:46 pm

I agree with you about the petition thing. I think a letter writing campaign is the way to go. Finding a few executive phone numbers probably wouldn't hurt, either. As far as this forum, that's a shame, but not surprising. I have also posted notices in the guestbook on this site, and in the feedback section of clairedanes.com, which gets heavy traffic. I am also writing to the person that runs that site, to get support from that angle. If we can get fellow supporters to chip in and mail letters to the VP of Programming at MTV and his/her staff, in addition to some more creative mailings (like what, I'm still thinking), we'll definately have a shot in succeeding.

Post by Guest » Aug 30th 1999, 5:28 pm

I'm up for helping, but I was kinda wondering...maybe we should work on getting the third box set released first. Getting MSCL back on air is going to be -extremely- hard. Getting a box set would be easier. Better to start with little achievements and work our way up.
-somastars@aol.com

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Aug 30th 1999, 6:47 pm

Well, I'll help if you guys can give me something to do. I'm not so sure how much easier it would be to get the boxed set out, because (as I've posted before) of the BMG transitions and stuff. BUT, they're both good ideas...and I want to help.

Odessam
Jody Barsh

Post by Odessam » Aug 31st 1999, 2:18 am

Well YEah I'm in it too if I can do something cos I live here in Finland and stuff but you let me know ok? odessam@nic.fi . That sounds like something that should be done or at least tried to do.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 1st 1999, 6:45 pm

I agree that we need to at least try to get both the last tape set and the show back into sindication. just give us an address and we can all bombard them with letters!!

emmie

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Sep 1st 1999, 9:30 pm

Well Mia, you have managed to get four of us behind you in the campaign to get mscl back on the air. Actually, I have wanted to write to MTV to tell them how much of a fan I am, about how many others are out there wanting the same thing as I do, and now it seems we are about to embark on just such an activity,... only multiplied by however many people you can get to start writing.

Sooo, now what?

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Sep 2nd 1999, 9:50 am

OK, you guys. I haven't managed to track down an address yet, though I'm assuming MTV's corporate offices in New York would be the place to go. We should aim for the Vice President of Programming and his/her staff. A letter writing campaign coupled with some more creative mailings (i.e., a pair of old shoes with Angela and Rayanne's discussion about "who has cuter feet, why don't we switch shoes" included) would be a good place to start. It's also been suggested that we try LOCAL petitions, to be gathered and mailed at a later date (ASAP), and also that we try calling/e-mailing MTV's TRL on a certain day to request MSCL.

I have tracked down a number to call for MTV's Viewer Services Hotline (212/258-8700) if anyone wants to try that, although it is long distance for most of us.

I'm compiling an e-mail mailing list of everyone helping out, since I'm hoping to receive help from places other than this forum. And I AM still diligently looking for that corporate address, though I could use all the help I can get! Tell your friends to join our cause. (Great, now I sound like I'm preparing for war. Although, in a way...)

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Sep 2nd 1999, 10:32 am

ATTENTION! We have an address!

MTV Headquarters:

MTV NETWORKS
1515 BROADWAY FL 31L
NEW YORK, NY 10036-5797

Remember, I think we want to target the Programming department, so mark your envelopes Attention: Programming Department, or Attention: Vice President of Programming.

TEAMDSNY7
Frozen Embryo

Post by TEAMDSNY7 » Sep 2nd 1999, 10:37 am

hey i am new to this bulletin, but i am a fan since 9th grade when the show aired!!!!!! i will toatlly help with the MTV thing. and ABSOLUTELY with the third box set (whats the story on that anyway, why wouldn't it be released!!!!?) anyway email me back so i know who and where to write to!!!

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Sep 2nd 1999, 12:44 pm

Way to go, Mia! I'm with ya!