*UNOFFICIAL* MSCL soundtrack

Talk about the soundtrack of MSCL. You can find a list of songs played in the episodes here.
soma
Liberty High Student

i think so

Post by soma » Nov 19th 1999, 5:42 pm

I got it from the MSCL Bible, so I'm 99% postive it's a complete version. I know it does seem smaller, but I think it's because it left out the instrumental music used in the show. You know, like when Angela walked in a room or someone had an epiphany. Think "Kevin and Winnie's song" ala the Wonder Years. That duh-duh,duh-duh,duh do-do-do,dah-dah-dah stuff. :)

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: dubbing of cool lines from the show

Post by angelika » Nov 19th 1999, 7:27 pm

I agree with putting the songs separate from the quotes, although having some of them as lead-ins might be kinda cool too! I'm so excited about this thing. I agree with Jack--this is going to be the best Christmas present I ever bought myself! :-) Thanks, Oldguy, for putting so much time into this--I'm sure it will be great!

soma
Liberty High Student

Mistake in the list

Post by soma » Nov 19th 1999, 7:46 pm

Ouch, I missed that. Ok, insert in the list between episodes 1.1 and 1.3...

1.2 "Cruel Swing" by Jawbox [in Jordan's car]

Hopefully that's the only mistake!

soma
Liberty High Student

walkman song

Post by soma » Nov 19th 1999, 7:49 pm

He replied and said it was too long ago to remember. He'd have to watch the episode again but figured it was "something punk-rock like the Smashing Pumpkins". I used to be pretty into the Pumpkins and I don't think it was them. Anyway, I don't want to bother him so I guess I'll just have to leave it at that. :/

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: walkman song

Post by Jack » Nov 20th 1999, 3:39 am

Thank you Soma, for giving it a shot. It would've been good to have that song if for no other
reason than just knowing what kind of music Brian Krakow listens to. We could've subtitled it
"Brian's Song" which would've continued the clever play on his name like "Life of Brian."
Thanks anyway. I'm very impressed with the effort put forth so far, and the progress on this
project after what, three days, and not even in real time. Kudos to all!

Odessam
Jody Barsh

Re: Mistake in the list

Post by Odessam » Nov 20th 1999, 11:37 am

well maybe not really a mistake but anyway sodajerk by buffalo tom is twice on the list (the other one being a live recording) so maybe .. anyway. I would also like to something to help this project / get myself a copy but the only problem is that I live in Finland (ie. far away) anyway songs i have are only..

mp3 : Violent femmes : Blister in the sun
Enigma : return to innocence
buffalo tom : late at night
Ramones : I wanna be sedated (some kind of mix of that so maybe not for the comp.)

In cd
R.E.M. : everybody hurts
Cranberries : dreams
Haddaway : What's love

about the band animalbag i could'nt find anything about it on the net so they are propaply a not so known band. anyway
Otherwise the project sounds great. BTW about the dubbing of dialogs i'd say they shouldn't be dubbed in the songs. instead into different tracks or something.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Mistake in the list

Post by Jack » Nov 20th 1999, 12:53 pm

Sodajerk is on the list twice because it was played in two episodes, "Why Jordan Can't Read",
and "Self-Esteem". I agree with Mia, the dialogue clips should be between tracks, either as a
stand alone or intro to a music track like on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: i dig it daddy-o

Post by Jack » Nov 20th 1999, 12:56 pm

Yes, we should probably make a mailing list and we should try to set up a chat room time
to discuss this in real time.

worldsapart
Between Names

cd excerpts suggestions

Post by worldsapart » Nov 23rd 1999, 1:01 am

I just thought I'd add my input about excerpts that I think would be good on the cd (and let everyone else add theirs)... Besides "Red" and "Sesame Street Theme" from the show, I think we should put BOTH the Ramones version of "I Wanna Be Sedated" and the show version (since the show one is incomplete).

Also, we definitely need to have Brian reading the letter he wrote.

Umm, the line where Angela goes to see Jordan after "chickening out" at the house and he says some like "whatever I did, I never lied" (I LOVE that line- it shows more depth in Jordan, of course, then he makes that stupid comment about sex being expected and throws that concept out the window ). =)

Rickie's thoughts on sex...

Rayanne and Sharon's whole "we aren't friends" "no, of course not" scenario...

maybe Angela's little speech to Brian (in So-Called Angels) where she talks about the kids at the warehouse just being normal kids could intro "Make it Home"...

OH, and the song that the church choir sings should be in there...

maybe the whole Nicky Driscoll legend explanation (in bathroom with textbook) could intro either Blue Moon or Johnny Angel...

Delia's line about how she'd just like to like somebody that can't hurt too much can intro What is Love...

we should try and include at least one line from each major character if we are truly trying to make a COMPLETE soundtrack...I had better stop before I'm up all night typing...I'm not saying these all have to be on there (we'd have to add another cd just for quotes *grin*), they are just suggestions and ones that I think are good quotes...

Tracey

Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: cd excerpts suggestions

Post by Jack » Nov 23rd 1999, 2:03 am

Tracey, your suggestions are excellent. I was getting goosebumps reading them. With the right
excerpts, this CD will not only be a complete soundtrack, but could also capture the whole essence
or "spirit" of the show. This CD (done right) could make a non-MSCL person (unenlightened fool)
really, really want to see what all the shouting's about. Oh, and about Jordan saying that great
line about never lying (which I also really like) being followed by his bonehead comment is
great, well timed insight into his character. On one hand, we see a young man with a good
moral, ethical center when it comes to his treatment of other people. In the series, he never
fights anyone, he never judges anyone (In Halloween he even protects Ricky by telling him he
better leave because his friends are pretty ripped. Of course we all know what that means,
his drunk friends might pick on Ricky for being gay). It doesn't matter to him whether your
gay or a nerd or whatever, he treats everybody the same. But, nonetheless, there is mainstream
conformity at work in him. Not because he's given in, but because he hasn't carried the thought
far enough in his head. In Pressure, he says everybodies doing it unless you're abnormal. He
doesn't say this because he's a jerk, or because he's stupid. He's just being thoughtless, like
all the characters are at times in MSCL (except maybe Ricky). Throughout the 19 episodes,
each character grows almost exclusively from their interaction with the other characters.
In Self-Esteem, Angela (and Shakespeare) elevate Jordan's awareness about his behavior.
Talk about boneheaded, the good-hearted buffoon sends her a letter to meet him in the boiler room
after what happened at Pike Street. He thinks it's no big deal though there is peer pressure from
Shane, "There's Rayanne Graff and that weird girl she hangs out with." But nonetheless, in his
mind he's not hurting her, it's no big deal. But it is (as he realizes in the last episode). It was this
bad experience and the hurt feelings that was instrumental in ultimately forcing them both to
grow and come together (of course we see in later episodes that they both have a long way to
go and grow as individuals.) We see the most growth in him after his mistake of 'umming'
Rayanne, as a matter of fact, it's probably the most growth we see in Rayanne after that mistake.
In the final episode, he realizes what he's done "...she hates me, and I deserve it." After enlisting
Brian's help, he distances himself from taking credit (although he never gets there, I believe he
was trying to confess that he never wrote it.) And talking to Patty "...It's like you think, you're
safe or something, because...you don't need her...you don't anyone...but the thing is...you're
wrong." So I think the reason...what the hell am I doing? I'm up late babbling nonsensically
into the night again. Everybody knows this!!! I go to make a simple comment and start writing
a thesis!!! I've got too much work to do!!! This is what happens when you work out of your
home late into the night!!! You get on a discussion board and babble on and on!!!

Okay...fine...now...let's jump to the end...

So in conclusion, I realize I can't work 24 hours a day...no...that's someone else's schpiel...ummm
...okay...Jordan needs to contrast admirable comments with boneheaded statements so that we
can see he's a decent young man but still has a lot of maturing to do.

(the overworked, sleep deprived, self-employed)
Jack

worldsapart
Between Names

Post by worldsapart » Nov 23rd 1999, 2:11 am

My comment about Jordan and his statement was meant sarcastically, but I found your whole diatribe about his character very interesting anyway. =) I definitely think this cd should be about giving an overall feel for the show and not JUST the music- we can all buy the cds, but we can't get the atmosphere like this.....and I totally understand about spending way too many late hours on here..

Tracey

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Nov 23rd 1999, 2:19 am

Whoa--Tracey, your suggestions gave me such goosebumps!!! I think they are GREAT, and I hope the others agree. (Funny how Jack described this same phenomenon in his post) :-) Thus is the power of MSCL. I think that these quotes, such as Delia's at the dance, as an intro to these songs will put more feeling into them. I don't really get excited about "What is Love," but if we had a somewhat emotional, in-depth intro, it would draw the listener into the symbolic meaning of the song. Am I making sense? I, like Jack, am falling asleep at the keyboard, but I can't help myself when it comes to MSCL. :-) Thanks again, Tracey, for the great ideas.

(the sleep deprived, stessed out, overworked)
angelika

mia
Yearbook Team

Re: i dig it daddy-o

Post by mia » Nov 24th 1999, 10:15 am

We also need to collect everyone's snail-mail addresses for shipment of the completed project. If everyone wants to send me your e-mail addresses and snail-mail addresses, I could format a mailing list for both snail-mail and e-mail, and e-mail. Just an idea, but I'd be glad to take care of it. My e-mail address: muviebuff@yahoo.com

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Audio CDs - legal disclaimer

Post by oldguy » Nov 26th 1999, 10:13 am

This note is intended as sort of a legal disclaimer, to who it may concern:

I got some further advice on the whole copyright thing. Technically, home-taping of any
sort is illegal, although usually only prosecuted if it leads to a fairly large distribution
(large-scale pirate operation). I'd just like to say right now that I have no intention of doing
any pirating of anybody's music or recordings. I may compile a few recordings just
for my own musings, and for the record all of these will be purchased (or otherwise
legitimately obtained). I have no plans to widely distribute such recordings and
certainly not to sell any.

Oldguy

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Request for music from the show

Post by oldguy » Jan 30th 2000, 1:26 am

Hello: I'm looking for the following songs which were played as part of the MSCL
soundtrack on certain episodes. If anybody has full versions of any of these (on
MP3, CD, DAT, mini-disc, or cassette), I'd love to get a copy. Please, let me know:

1) "Everybody" by Animalbag [band at Tino's party]
2) "Cruel Swing" by Jawbox [in Jordan's car]
3) "Palomine" by Bettie Serveert [Graham gives A & Ray the tickets]
4) "Blue Moon" by Elvis Presley [with Nicky, and hummed by Rickie]
5) "Dropout" by Urge Overkill [at the dance]
6) "Pressure" by Sunscreem [at the dance]
7) "Try" by Billy Pilgrim [last song at the dance]

Thanks!