MSCL music and memories

Talk about the soundtrack of MSCL. You can find a list of songs played in the episodes here.
socalledfan
Angela's best friend

MSCL music and memories

Post by socalledfan » Jul 4th 2001, 1:23 am

Hi all,

I don't know about you, but every time I hear a song that was featured on MSCL I get lost in delicious daydreaming. Like, for example, the other day I heard "Everybody Hurts" by REM and I was instantly transported to Angela's neighborhood, after she and Brian saw her father talking to that young girl. Ouch! Or, whenever I hear "Dreams" by the Cranberries, I think of Angela and Patty having that awkward talk in Angela's bedroom.

And of course, the biggest memory trigger is "Late at Night" by Buffalo Tom (which I have on CD). That song will forever belong to Angela and Jordan, walking down the hall holding hands.

My memories of MSCL are still alive and well in my head...and I love when something brings me right back.

I can't wait for the DVDs, to relive all of these incredible moments over and over again. The wait will be torture!

Anyone care to chat about the music, or just missing the show in general?

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

adam
Three Rivers Resident

Re: MSCL music and memories

Post by adam » Jul 4th 2001, 1:56 am

yeah i know what you mean. everytime i hear late at night or sodajerk by buffalo tom i think of mscl. i like it when i watch the show and i hear a song and think hey i remember when that was a big song on the radio. sorry i just think it's cool.

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jul 4th 2001, 3:20 am

I miss the show soooooo much despite having 17 of the 19 episodes on VHS. 'Late at Night' by Buffalo Tom is THE song that will always remind me of MSCL (which I play at least once a day! :-) ) not only that but it transports me back to being in school at 15 years old and looking forward to 6pm on Wednesday evenings because that's when MSCL was originally aired in the UK! My other two faves are 'Make it home' and of course the happy theme-tune to the show!!! GO NOW GO!

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 4th 2001, 4:01 am

I miss everything about MSCL. I really missed the show (really missed it) after it quit airing on MTV Spring '98. Should have been taping it but I was way too smart for that. I just assumed it would re-appear on MTV eventually. So; for 3 1/2 long years I was without the greatest show on earth. Early 2000 I got on the net and began searching for sites. Finally I had a fix to help fill the void. I could watch trailers and hear audio clips and that was a big help. Then one day, I was lounging at Blockbuster and low and behold there it was. A copy of MSCL on videotape right there on the shelf in the "M", Drama section. It was (i think) the second tape in the red box series. "Dancing in the Dark" (one of my favorites) and "Guns and Gossip" (not partucularly one of my favorites). I would rent it like once a week for six months. I loved Dancing in the dark. I don't think I had ever seen either episode before. Remember, I had only seen the reruns on MTV in Spring '98 and I missed some. The guy at Blockbuster started to look at me a little funny towards the end. I visited every Blockbuster in the St. Louis area for other tapes from the box sets but none could be found. I don't know if finding that tape was a blessing or a curse. I loved watching it but it made me miss the rest all the more. I have since procured the entire series on VHS. I know...we're not supposed to talk about this but hey, BMG won't sell them to us, us lifer's do what we gotta do. Rest assured though, once the DVD box set is released, I'm gonna be first in line! Getting those tapes was really a blessing. I had not seen: Pilot, The Zit, Father Figures, The Substitute, and In Dreams Begin Responsibilities. Imagine someone who loves the show just now getting to see those great episodes. I think I was most eager to see the Pilot. I never understood where Jordan and Patty's haircuts came from in the opening sequence. Or all those bits that make up the Title sequence for that matter. And of course; not having seen the Finale left a real empty place for me. Now I watch the shows all the time just like when MTV aired them. Does anyone know if MTV will ever put them on again?
As far as the music, Most of the music on the show I had never heard before I heard them on the show. Except R.E.M. One of my favorites is Try by Billy Pilgrim from the end of "Life of Brian". I had to look long and hard to find that one. Finally got it off Napster along with Buffalo Tom and all the rest. I gotta wrap things up. Pray for DVD's. K-man

k-man

Lacy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lacy » Jul 4th 2001, 5:14 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last time MTV aired MSCL around July 20, 1998? They
aired all 19 episodes in a marathon and then never showed them again.

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 4th 2001, 8:37 am

Hey K-Man,

I live in St. Louis too. Where abouts do you live.

Jack

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 4th 2001, 11:43 am

just yesterday I listened to our soundtracks. I got all warm and fuzzy inside. it's perfect because it's like a greatest-moments-of-the-show all wrapped up in an audio cd. and then you are there all over again.

emmie

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 4th 2001, 12:40 pm

Just in case nobody on the board right now knows what Emmie means
by "our soundtrack"; she's referring to a 2 disk CD that several of us
were involved in creating (in one way or another) that captures all or
most of the music that was used in the show, as opposed to the crappy
CD that was commercially released. Our CD is complete with cover and
interior art and some of our favorite sound excerpts from the show,
placed between the music tracks. It's very good.

Jack

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 6th 2001, 9:38 am

Near Westport. Yourself?

k-man

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 6th 2001, 1:02 pm

In the downtown loft district.

Jack

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Jul 10th 2001, 5:10 pm

Joanna,

I totally know what you mean about the theme song. I have the eps on tape and everytime I hear "Go now...go" in that whispery voice I get the chills!

Oh, I'm dyin' for the DVD box set! The tape quality on my videos is pretty bad, so I'm looking forward to seeing the show in pristine form again!

;-)

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jul 11th 2001, 9:53 am

Where can we buy your c.d then Jack?

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jul 11th 2001, 9:55 am

I can't wait for the DVD's too because I only have 17 episodes on tape....I just hope they release them in the UK....if 'they' ever get around to it at all!!!?

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Kbranagh
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Kbranagh » Jun 15th 2020, 8:12 am

socalledfan wrote:
Jul 4th 2001, 1:23 am
Hi all,

I don't know about you, but every time I hear a song that was featured on MSCL I get lost in delicious daydreaming. Like, for example, the other day I heard "Everybody Hurts" by REM and I was instantly transported to Angela's neighborhood, after she and Brian saw her father talking to that young girl. Ouch! Or, whenever I hear "Dreams" by the Cranberries, I think of Angela and Patty having that awkward talk in Angela's bedroom.
Same here, now "Everybody Hurts" and "My So Called Life" are connected forever! Is the most perfect use for that song
"Or something'

seanjones
Tino

Post by seanjones » Apr 16th 2021, 8:13 pm

I remember buying the MSCL CD, with angelas smiling face on the cover, and being very excited to play it. And then being very disappointed when it was over. None of the best songs were on it. Not even the famous buffalo tom one! I was steaming mad for a month.