Custom Soundtrack.......suggestions?

Talk about the soundtrack of MSCL. You can find a list of songs played in the episodes here.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 9th 2003, 8:11 pm

I think Billy Corgan does a very moving version of Landslide. (Zwan, his new band has a fine debut. ).

Was thinking about the Halloween episode, and the apparition. "The Ghost in You" by the Psychedelic Furs then came to mind.

On more of a character driven note, thinking about Brian reminded me of "Sucked Out" by Superdrag. I'll need to think that one out a bit.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 9th 2003, 8:30 pm

More Brian....

I thought about this quote (I may have too much time on my hands):

"I still think about Angela constantly. Why am I like this? I truly sicken myself. "

And Matthew Sweet's "Sick of Myself" came to mind. "I'm sick of myself when I think of you.....something as beautiful as you..."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 9th 2003, 9:24 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to say that the only Billie Holiday song I own is "Stormy Weather" on the Moonlighting soundtrack. It would make a decent addition to the MSCL soundtrack.

Moonlighting? Man, I must be getting old.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2003, 11:12 pm

Okay, I have the Moonlighting soundtrack too!

We're not old - we're...connoisseurs.

Moonlighting is definitely another show I wish they would release on DVD. I spent months taping the show when it aired on Bravo, and just as I was almost finished with the entire series, they abruptly stopped showing it. Grrrr!

I admit that S2 was the best, and once Mark Harmon showed up that was pretty much the beginning of the end, but I am a completist (is that a real word?) so I figured I should have the whole series. I would come home from work every night and watch another episode - I was in heaven for a few short weeks while they aired S2 with all the yelling and door slamming and sexual tension.

But uhhhh, back to the topic at hand - another song from the Moonlighting soundtrack that would work for MSCL is "This Old Heart of Mine" - I guess if we're going to go with songs about heartbreak and yearning, this could end up being a monster compilation CD :wink:

As Rob says in High Fidelity, "For a while, I regarded just about any song in which somebody had lost somebody else as spookily relevant, which, as that covers the whole of pop music, and as I worked in a record shop, meant I felt pretty spooked more or less the whole time."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 10:25 am

candygirl wrote: Whenever I hear that song now, I think of the AT&T commercial where the teenage couple email each other right after their date - now that I think about it, was that Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (now known as Belle on Days of Our Lives) or Alex Mack in the commercial? :?
Very cute commercial. It was Alex Mack.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 10:52 am

You wouldn't mean this commercial http://www.mscl.com/video/att60.mpg would you? :wink:

P.S. wasn't Alex Mack it was Larisa Oleynik she was in 10 Things I Hate About You!

Bianca: There's a difference between like and love. I mean I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack.
Chastity: But I love my Skechers.
Bianca: That's because you don't have a Prada backpack.

Gawd I love a deep movie!!! :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 11:12 am

Larisa was Alex Mack, though, right?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 11:17 am

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 11:18 am

I didn't see it in her bio on http://www.imdb.com. But you may be right, I just don't know.

Update: Ok now that I actually read the bio. Yup she was!
Nickelodeon wasn't a big part of my youth. Besides the point that I was in college when The Secret Life... was on. :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 11:32 am

Alex Mack was a cute show. My job during high school and college was working in a nursery at a gym. So I would watch Nickelodeon and The Disney Channel with the kids. That is my excuse. :wink:

I also loved Hey, Dude! and Brotherly Love. :oops:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 11:41 am

The Adventures Of Pete and Pete that was an incredibly funny show.

But I also saw Nick break from a show once to a newsbreak:

Reporter: We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this breaking news. Scientists in Helsinki have proven that there is no metric equivalent for a Butt load. More at Eleven!

Strangest thing I ever saw on TV. Well I mean besides The Flying Nun!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 10th 2003, 2:30 pm

I am the oldest sibling, and my youngest sibling is 9 years younger than me - as a result, I got to watch lots and lots and lots of Nickelodeon. She loved Brotherly Love and Hey Dude! I was a big Pete and Pete fan. I also watched Clarissa Explains It All and the Secret World of Alex Mack with her.

Then there was the entire Disney schedule, which was not complete without the Torkelsons every Saturday morning.

(In my youth, I did watch You Can't Do That on Television - I loved watching Moose get slimed - and Double Dare!)

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Soundtrack Suggestions

Post by Nothingman » Feb 26th 2003, 7:05 pm

I've been working on a similar project, but i'm just selecting acoustic versions of songs from the same time period as the original airing not necessarily associated with the show. I thought these songs fit well with the whole mscl theme.

Toad the Wet Sprocket - "Somethings always wrong" or "All I want", maybe even "Fall Down" for Rayanne

I also love "Try" by Billy Pilgrim from Life of Brian, But since we are shying away from songs actually used in show, I'd sudgest the live version avaliable from billypilgrim.net

Got to give props to whomever suggested "teenager" by better than ezra, it's perfect and has always remined me of the show; their song "this time of year" is also an excellent testement to those teenage years, but perhaps a little "jockish" for mscl. My last suggestion is "beauty of grey" by Live, It reminds me of the scene with Mr. Katimsky reciting shakespear and Brian and Jordan thinking about Angela, and how she is real and has flaws in "Self-Esteem". It also has references to analyzing everything that makes me think of Brian, and on top of that it is an amazing song.

Those are my 2 cents, later all...
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 15th 2003, 12:03 am

How about "Self Esteem" by the Offspring? It was released in 1994, shares a title with a MSCL episode, and parallels some of the dynamics of Angela's relationship with Jordan.

:lol:

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Soundtrack Suggestions

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Apr 15th 2003, 5:04 pm

nothingman wrote: Toad the Wet Sprocket - "Somethings always wrong" or "All I want", maybe even "Fall Down" for Rayanne
ooh, nothingman good taste!! i love toad! they're good live.

if you wanna hear good acoustic versions (not commercially released, these are legit mp3s) of some songs, including the ones that you mentioned check it out:

http://www.glenp3.com/featuredshow.html

myself, i always thought that crowing by toad suited the mscl.