Custom Soundtrack.......suggestions?

Talk about the soundtrack of MSCL. You can find a list of songs played in the episodes here.
Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 6th 2003, 11:42 pm

Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar.

:lol: :lol:

"Love is a battlefield. For your heart."

Is that too out there? Not cool enough?

:wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 6th 2003, 11:47 pm

Megs wrote:Is that too out there? Not cool enough?
err..yeah...that's uh cool :roll:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 7th 2003, 12:17 am

fnordboy wrote:
Megs wrote:Is that too out there? Not cool enough?
err..yeah...that's uh cool :roll:
Didn't think so. :?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2003, 2:05 am

In an attempt to keep up with Megs:

"Your Body Is a Wonderland" - John Mayer ("you look so good it hurts sometimes)

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

Eh? :wink:

(and I am totally down with Love Is a Battlefield - loved the video and that spastic dance!)
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Feb 8th 2003, 4:28 pm

Those were some good, creative ideas.

How about "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats in reference to Guns and Gossip as well as Angela describing school as a driveby shooting.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 9:31 pm

Kristin wrote:~Some Smashing Pumpkins. Lots of their stuff has to do with coming of age, so to speak. Plus, they were one of the biggest bands at the time MSCL was on the air.
How about the Smashing Pumpkins cover of "Landslide"?

The whole song is great, but this block of lyrics seem to fit the show:
Oh, mirror in the sky - What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Well I've been afraid of changin'
because I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder, even children get older
And I'm getting older too

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 8th 2003, 10:15 pm

The Pumpkins covered "Landslide"? I missed that one. Which album has it? I might buy it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 10:29 pm

"Landslide" is on the Pisces Iscariot CD as well as their greatest hits CD.

Anyone else sick to death of the Dixie Chicks cover of this song?!

:evil:

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 8th 2003, 10:48 pm

TY, Candygirl.

For my money, there can only be one. Stevie Nicks singing lead for Fleetwood Mac. The band's performance of "Landslide" on it's reunion video, The Dance kills.

I like the Pumpkins, too. I only have 2 of their CDs though. I'll be on the lookout their cover of "Landslide" for sure. It's one of my favorite songs.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 8th 2003, 10:54 pm

I can think of about a million jazz standards that fit a couple MSCL themes (mostly love)...

You Go To My Head
The More I See You
Ain't Misbehavin'
I Cried For You (Now It's Your Turn To Cry Over Me)
Dancing in the Dark

I think a lot of these could relate to either Brian's unrequited crush on Angela or Angela's pseudo-relationship with Jordan. Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn do great version of these.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 11:17 pm

TomSpeed wrote:For my money, there can only be one. Stevie Nicks singing lead for Fleetwood Mac. The band's performance of "Landslide" on it's reunion video, The Dance kills.

I like the Pumpkins, too. I only have 2 of their CDs though. I'll be on the lookout their cover of "Landslide" for sure. It's one of my favorite songs.
I know what you're saying - the only copy I have of Landslide is the Stevie Nicks version, but I thought that the song lyrics combined with Angela's discussion with Graham at the end of Father Figures made the Smashing Pumpkins version a good choice for this particular MSCL-related soundtrack (especially since Pisces Iscariot was released in October 1994 making it very timely in relation to the show).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2003, 11:41 pm

Kristin wrote:I can think of about a million jazz standards that fit a couple MSCL themes (mostly love)...

You Go To My Head
The More I See You
Ain't Misbehavin'
I Cried For You (Now It's Your Turn To Cry Over Me)
Dancing in the Dark

I think a lot of these could relate to either Brian's unrequited crush on Angela or Angela's pseudo-relationship with Jordan. Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn do great version of these.
I would go with Billie Holiday, only because Angela specifically mentions that she likes her (I'm partial to Ella Fitzgerald though).

How about "Walkin' After Midnight" as an homage to Angela and Brian in the pilot? Okay, it probably wasn't even midnight yet, but still. I love the Madeleine Peyroux version. Whenever I hear that song now, I think of the AT&T commercial where the teenage couple email each other right after their date - now that I think about it, was that Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (now known as Belle on Days of Our Lives) or Alex Mack in the commercial? :?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 9th 2003, 12:37 am

There should definitely be some Blues songs on the soundtrack, the themes and plots cry out for some Blues. Angela's mentioning that she listens to Billie Holliday allows us to sneak some Blues into the mix. I'm not a big Blues or Jazz fan, but I listen to those types of music from time to time. A few old-time Fleetwood Mac songs, pre-Stevie, could make it on the Unofficial MSCL Soundtrack. "Did You Ever Love Me?" from Penguin, 1973. It's a sad, sad song with a Blues/Reggae beat. "Prove Your Love" and "Come a Little Bit Closer" from Heroes Are Hard to Find, 1974. I can really read the Angela/Brian/Jordan triangle in those songs. And, for Angela's smile, there is "Show Me a Smile" from Future Games, 1971. I'll even throw in "Why?" from Mystery to Me, 1973. That's a great song. It asks, why do I feel this way about you? Why don't you love me?
Last edited by TomSpeed on Feb 9th 2003, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 9th 2003, 12:54 am

Sigh....

I just noticed that both my cassette and CD versions of the Mac's "Did You Ever Love Me?" are toast. The cassette is worn out, and the CD skips. Guess I'll have to add another thing to my "Things to Get List".
TomSpeed

Keith
Tino

ok..

Post by Keith » Feb 9th 2003, 6:59 pm

Why is my favorite Christine McVie song.. glad to see someone else loves that gem.

If I was going to throw some Fleetwood Mac on to the cd, I'd pick Love That Burns from Mr. Wonderful and maybe Dust from Bare Trees. Dark songs for a dark tv show.

I love the Fleetwood Mac 1980 live album version of Landslide. Stevie's voice quivers like Angela's lower lip.. beautiful.

..when we are dust.. when we are dust..

interesting thread.

- Keith