New Bedford Falls Project: "1/4life"

"quarterlife" is a new innovative "web-only" series produced by The Bedford Falls Company. 36 episodes with 8 minutes runtime each will be available online on MySpace.com and quarterlife.com beginning November 11, 2007.
EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Apr 19th 2006, 5:25 am

Interesting I noticed one of the writers of What About Brian (which I'm not too impressed with so far), James Kicklighter is listed at imdb.com as a writer for 1/4 Life too

blakjay22
Frozen Embryo

FINAL NAIL IN COFFIN

Post by blakjay22 » May 17th 2006, 1:45 am

1/4life NOWHERE on ABC's Fall 2006 Schedule.

Many tears.

I guess I can finally move on.

Screw ABC! :x

Bedford Falls forever! :D

Brian Krakow
Tino

Post by Brian Krakow » May 25th 2006, 10:37 pm

Right on, blakjay22. I heard that they were actually reconsidering it for 2006-2007, which totally stunned me. And they dropped the ball again. What a bunch of morons. How many new shows did they pick up that suck? There's sure to be at least one and I think it was some stupid reality thing. Hell, ABC could have picked it up as a mid-season replacement when something new tanks, but they would have to have vision to consider that.

A plague on both your houses, ABC execs. :tongue:
I became yearbook photographer because I liked the idea that I could sort of watch life without having to be part of it. But when you're yearbook photographer, you're, like, never in the picture.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 28th 2006, 5:31 am

Well, the tv show is dead but apparently Marshall Herskovitz wants to use the basic idea in a new movie. According to "Production Weekly", Herskovitz plans a low budget feature that centers around "a women’s magazine editor and writer who drives her friends crazy when they discover that she keeps a rather insightful blog about them on a website called “quarterlife”."

The production will start in January and might even be released on the internet in serialized form.

More here: http://productionweekly.com/2006/12/27/ ... %E2%80%99/

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 28th 2006, 6:35 pm

ha ha. you know, I'm kind of surprised that a premise involving blogs hasn't made it yet to the big screen. or perhaps I'm out of the loop.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Quarterlife on MySpace?

Post by Sascha » Jul 21st 2007, 3:59 am

Another update on "Quarterlife": Apparently the movie or series based on the original concept of the ABC pilot "1/4life" has been licensed to MySpace which might be broadcasting the show (or movie ... I'm still not sure what it is) early next year.

More details at CNET.com.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Devon Gummersall on "Quarterlife"

Post by Sascha » Aug 13th 2007, 5:20 am

Devon Gummersall has reunited with Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz: He's writing episodes for the new webseries "Quarterlife".

From the National Ledger:
ON THE 'NET: "State of Mind" regular Devon Gummersall reports he's been juggling shooting of his Lifetime series with "Quarterlife," the new upcoming Internet series from Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz. But he won't be on camera for the latter project. "I'm working as a writer," says Gummersall, who directed and wrote the indie film "Robbing 'Hef." "Quarterlife" follows a group of "25-year-olds in that awkward stage between college and adult life when you're just out of college and thrust into the real world and have to figure out who you are. It'll start airing in the fall in 10-minute webisodes." He adds, "It's going to be a first-class project, shot pretty much in the typical sophisticated Zwick/Herskovitz way, with high production values the same as if it was for TV or a movie, but it'll air on the Internet. It's exciting to explore the possibilities of the Internet because a lot of it is still uncharted territory."

The actor, who plays wet-behind-the-ears attorney Barry White on "State of Mind," says the troupe is more than halfway through its order of eight episodes.
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/pu ... 5389.shtml

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Quarterlife will launch November 11th

Post by Sascha » Sep 13th 2007, 7:39 am

The Hollywood Reporter features today a long article about the new Ed Zwick /Marshall Herskovitz web series "Quarterlife" (yes, it's no longer called "1/4life").

The show will start on November 11th on myspace.com and consists at the moment of 36 eight-minute long segements.

The official website is quarterlife.com and it even features a trailer for the new show. It looks pretty good.

richard
Liberty High Student

Re: New Bedford Falls Project: "1/4life"

Post by richard » Sep 13th 2007, 7:40 am

Interesting article on the BBC news website about this, also refers to MSCL - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6992736.stm

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 13th 2007, 8:59 am

And here's the official press release:
EMMY AWARD-WINNING WRITER/ PRODUCER TEAM Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick CREATE AND LAUNCH NEW INTERNET SERIES "Quarterlife" TO DEBUT ON MySpace

MySpace to Globally Distribute 36 Original Episodes of New Internet Series Exclusively on MySpaceTV

New Online Series to Have Accompanying Website, quarterlife.com

LOS ANGELES
September 13, 2007
MySpace, the country's most trafficked website, announced today it will premiere "quarterlife" the new online series from Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick, creators of "My So-Called Life," "thirtysomething," "Legends of the Fall," and "Blood Diamond," on MySpaceTV on November 11, 2007 (http://www.myspacetv.com). The new "quarterlife" series marks the first time a network-quality series will be produced directly for the Internet and it's the first time an independent project of this distinction has been owned and controlled by its creators, Herskovitz and Zwick.

"This is the most exciting project I've worked on in a very long time, and part of that is the level of creative autonomy we can have on the Internet. For better or worse, quarterlife' is truly our own vision," said Marshall Herskovitz.

"The business of television today makes it harder for the individual filmmaker's voice to be heard," added Edward Zwick. "That voice has been our calling card for over twenty years, and working with MySpace gives us a chance to speak it."

The "quarterlife" series tells the ongoing stories of six creative people in their twenties. As with Herskovitz's and Zwick's previous television projects, the team's commitment to realism is at the center of "quarterlife" as is the recognition of universal human themes through the truthful depiction of the way young people speak, work, think, love, argue, and express themselves. The central character is Dylan, a young woman whose overly truthful video blog spills the closest secrets of her friends, and the show's charactersfilmmakers Danny and Jed, actress-bartender Lisa, geek-extraordinaire Andy, and still-tied-to-her-parents Debrachart the sometimes excruciating, sometimes comic, often emotional experiences that comprise coming of age as a part of the digital generation.

"When Emmy award-winning producers come to MySpaceTV you know this is reaching a whole new level," said Chris DeWolfe, CEO of MySpace. "We're proud to offer the creative community a blank canvas and open platform to express their vision."

As the exclusive international distribution partner, MySpaceTV will create a "quarterlife" video channel and MySpace profile page to spotlight exclusive series content including character profiles, behind-the-scenes video footage, and storyline secrets for the MySpace community. MySpaceTV will have the exclusive global rights to premiere 36, 8-minute original episodes of "quarterlife." Starting today, the "quarterlife" trailer can be viewed at http://www.myspacetv.com.

"Quarterlife" will be immediately available across MySpaceTV's 20 international territories and nearly 110 million global active users. The launch will allow MySpace's global community to share and create "quarterlife" content in their own language and share with friends around the world. Localized versions of MySpaceTV are available in seven different languages across the UK, Japan, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand, Latin America, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Austria.

Herskovitz and Zwick have also created a dedicated social network quarterlife.com to exist alongside their Internet series. Quarterlife.com will be devoted to facilitating that same coming of age as the series. For many people in this demographic the Internet is a critical part of life; they also define themselves, more than any generation in history, by their creativity. A key part of quarterlife is the interaction between the show and the website. Members of the quarterlife community will be invited to participate in the ongoing creation of the series through writing and video submissions.

The site will also provide a diverse, expressive, aspirational outlet for the 40 million Americans who are between the ages of 18 and 34. quarterlife.com will create a community around personal and creative development, and plans to provide resources in all the areas of life the arts, careers, love, health, finances, education and activism that concern this age group.

The "quarterlife" series is being produced by Josh Gummersall, a longtime associate of Herskovitz and Zwick. Melanie Hall, an expert in social networks for young people, has been named the COO of quarterlife.com.

Creative Artists Agency represents Herskovitz and Zwick and provided a central role in bringing quarterlife to fruition. "CAA was an instrumental partner from structuring the business to creating relationships with terrific distribution partners like MySpace," added Herskovitz.

"Marshall and Ed developed an innovative, powerful idea and we are proud to play a role in helping them execute their plan," said CAA business development executive Brian Weinstein.

Today's announcement comes on the heels of explosive video growth driven by dozens of industry content partnerships and user interface changes. MySpaceTV (http://www.myspacetv.com) is an integrated component of the company's worldwide community and content platform, continuing the evolution of the company's video offering by aggregating the best elements of video and empowering MySpace users to view, create, and share videos in new ways throughout the community.

About Quarterlife

Quarterlife, the Internet series and the social network, are created and owned by Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick, creators of creators of "My So-Called Life," "thirtysomething," "Legends of the Fall," and "Blood Diamond."

About MySpace.com

MySpace, a unit of Fox Interactive Media Inc., is the premier lifestyle portal for connecting with friends, discovering popular culture, and making a positive impact on the world. By integrating web profiles, blogs, instant messaging, e-mail, music streaming, music videos, photo galleries, classified listings, events, groups, college communities, and member forums, MySpace has created a connected community. As the first ranked web domain in terms of page views(c), MySpace is the most widely-used and highly regarded site of its kind and is committed to providing the highest quality member experience. MySpace will continue to innovate with new features that allow its members to express their creativity and share their lives, both online and off. MySpace's international network includes localized community sites in the United States, France, Germany, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Mexico, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand, Japan, Sweden, Latin America, Denmark, Norway, Finland and the United Kingdom. Fox Interactive Media is a division of News Corp. (NYSE:NWS - News, NWS.A - News; ASX:NWS - News, NWSLV - News).

*Among the top 2000 domains comScore Media Metrix, July 2007. For more information on comScore Networks, please go to http://www.comscore.com

EricMontreal22
Three Rivers Resident

Post by EricMontreal22 » Sep 19th 2007, 2:02 am

So very thrilled about this--I woulda prefered the hour long original shows but actually this seems to be more and more interesting (when I first heard that the concept would be one movie or a web show I was much less excited till I realized the budget etc)

MSCL Fan
Nicky Driscoll

Post by MSCL Fan » Oct 19th 2007, 7:07 pm

If you head over to quarterlife.com, you can click to go onto the preview site. Once you are there you need to click Enter Quarterlife. There are some directions under that button to help you log on. I can not figure out how to log on though because I do not have a preview password. Any help on this?