The Last Samurai

Discuss former or new projects of The Bedford Falls Company (production company of "My So-Called Life"), Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick (executive producers) in this forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

The Last Samurai

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 13th 2003, 12:28 am

The Last Samurai, a movie produced and written by Marshall Herskowitz and Edward Zwick (who also directed the film) is scheduled for release on December 5, 2003. The movie stars Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe, Tony Goldwyn (Carl in Ghost), and Billy Connolly (the new teacher on Head of the Class). More info available at the official site.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

terds

Post by terds » Dec 5th 2003, 4:07 am

This is pretty interesting. i can't imagine them dipping into the action genre. i think i might have to check it out

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Dec 19th 2003, 5:58 am

Candygirl already mentioned it another thread: The Golden Globes nominations are out: The Last Samurai got nominated for

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama (Tom Cruise)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture (Ken Watanabe)
Best Original Score - Motion Picture (Hans Zimmer)

(OT: And the excellent german movie "Good bye Lenin" is also nominated for Best Foreign Movie)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 30th 2003, 12:49 am

Good movie! I'd compare it favorably with other period war stories like Gettysburg and Zwick's own Glory. Watanabe and Zimmer definitely deserve some statues for this one. Cruise is fine as well, if a bit overshadowed by his costars. As far as I know, the technical and cultural details are accurate, with the exception of some anachronistic armor, added for artistic effect.

As I noted elsewhere, the lines for RotK are ridiculous; now would be a good time to try Last Samurai.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Re: The Last Samurai

Post by starbug » Jan 2nd 2004, 1:55 pm

candygirl wrote:Billy Connolly (the new teacher on Head of the Class).
Billy Connolly is possibly the funniest man alive, and far better known for his comedy than anything else... He's EXTREMELY famous here :D . Mind you he is an accomplished actor now I suppose. I had no idea he'd done so much in the USA. I hope he's popular over there because I think he's fabulous. I was a little surprised to see him pop up in this (when I read your post I thought 'no way, that can't be the same guy' so I went to check out the site and there he was) but I may go and see the film just because he's in it. He kind of has that effect on me :oops:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Loz_179
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Loz_179 » Jan 7th 2004, 9:22 pm

Billy Connelly is really popular here in Aust. too. He's starred in a few Aussie movies and his tv shows are shown too.
When I saw the previews to the Last Samurai, I wasn't interested until I saw that Billy Connelly was in it! (Not a Tom Cruise fan).